3: Judd
4: Kennedy
5: Franklin (narrowly from Pendlebury)
6: Macrae
7: Selwood
8: Bartel
9: Chad Cornes
10: Dangerfield

It may be my Melbourne bias talking but I believe Oliver and Salem will take over the 4 and 9 spots before long.

Worst
1: Lounder
2-10: Dead heats between all those players at each pick who failed to play even one match … and there are plenty.

Lounder played just 4 matches which is way below any other number 1 pick. How people can be nominating a 200+game player like Fraser or 100+game players like Waterhouse, Alex McDonald, Headland and Watts ahead of him is crazy.
the OP stated from 93-today thats why

As opposed to no good Seasons yet....

FWIW, I don’t think he will be on this list in a couple of years time, but worthy of consideration at this point.

I think you are being harsh on a couple up there too.
i may be a bit harsh but lets be honest there are a fairly solid group of number 1's from 93 til today so where Hedland and Fraser were okay players when bunched in with the likes of Riewoldt Hodge Cooney and even Murphy Gibbs Gardiner these guys are at the lower end of the scale really you cant consider anyone after Tom Boyd because they have such a small amount of games to their name to really make a judgment and there is still time that they could become anything

i may be a bit harsh but lets be honest there are a fairly solid group of number 1's from 93 til today so where Hedland and Fraser were okay players when bunched in with the likes of Riewoldt Hodge Cooney and even Murphy Gibbs Gardiner these guys are at the lower end of the scale really you cant consider anyone after Tom Boyd because they have such a small amount of games to their name to really make a judgment and there is still time that they could become anything

Agreed. And apart from a handful or two of games, Boyd is in the same category as most of the guys you have mentioned - towards the lower end of the scale for #1 picks. But.....

#10 in 2004 was Chris Egan from the Pies.
In the presser before his first game he was trying to talk the talk and get stuck into his Murray Bushranger team mate...Brett Deledio....
On that floggish behaviour i nominate Egan.

Wow, that must have scared you to bring this up?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wow, that must have scared you to bring this up?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
No i just remember thinking that he sounds overally confident and he ended up being a bust.
That Melbourne spud they took ahead of Wines a couple of years ago made a smart ass comment on draft night as well.
Did him alot of good too haha

No i just remember thinking that he sounds overally confident and he ended up being a bust.
That Melbourne spud they took ahead of Wines a couple of years ago made a smart ass comment on draft night as well.
Did him alot of good too haha

Bigfooty posters hold some silly grudges but gee wiz

Best
1: Hodge (narrowly from Riewoldt)
2: Lappin
3: Judd
4: Kennedy
5: Franklin (narrowly from Pendlebury)
6: Macrae
7: Selwood
8: Bartel
9: Chad Cornes
10: Dangerfield

It may be my Melbourne bias talking but I believe Oliver and Salem will take over the 4 and 9 spots before long.

Worst
1: Lounder
2-10: Dead heats between all those players at each pick who failed to play even one match … and there are plenty.

Lounder played just 4 matches which is way below any other number 1 pick. How people can be nominating a 200+game player like Fraser or 100+game players like Waterhouse, Alex McDonald, Headland and Watts ahead of him is crazy.
Was going to mention that, maybe most on here can’t but I certainly remember lounder and Anthony banik. Banik while a disappointment was much better than lounder who would have to be the worst pick 1 of all time. It was in the drafts early days however when recruiting wasn’t the same standard as today.

Nope load of crap. Gibbs should have been an all time great but his development was so fundamentally screwed up at Carlton (lol and being put in the leadership group a month after being drafted). Hodge wouldn't have been half the player if was drafted by them. He struggled early with Hawthorn as well until Clarko came over, and our player development was completely overhauled.

The other thing you have completely overlooked is cometh the moment, cometh the man. Reiwoldt never played a good grand final, as where Hodge consistently stepped up big time when it came to the big dance. It does count for how you rate a player as much as you think it is a bullshit argument. We don't win 2008 if we had Reiwoldt instead of Hodge, it really is that simple.

You could argue hawthorn would of won flags without hodge.

Without Riewoldt st.kilda barely even makes finals

You could argue hawthorn would of won flags without hodge.

Without Riewoldt st.kilda barely even makes finals
We don't win 2008 without Hodge - fact.

St Kilda probably win 2009/2010 if they had Hodge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We don't win 2008 without Hodge - fact.

St Kilda probably win 2009/2010 if they had Hodge.
It's not a fact (not that it ever could be). Hodge was a key player but there's any number of players that could have played the loose man in defence and collected 26 disposals as Hodge did in the 2008 GF. The genius of Clarkson (many of the Cats 23 behinds were deliverately rushed largely contributing to the rule change), missed opportunities by the Cats in the 1st half and Bomber having a mare in the box (Cats were killing them out of the middle for a large part of the match and allowing the loose defender in Hodge to be unaccountable was madness) were far bigger factors.

Riewoldt comfortably. Hodge deserves the accolades he receives but I never went to a Hawks game with the knowledge that if we stopped Hodge we win unlike Roo & St Kilda.

It's not a fact (not that it ever could be). Hodge was a key player but there's any number of players that could have played the loose man in defence and collected 26 disposals as Hodge did in the 2008 GF. The genius of Clarkson (many of the Cats 23 behinds were deliverately rushed largely contributing to the rule change), missed opportunities by the Cats in the 1st half and Bomber having a mare in the box (Cats were killing them out of the middle for a large part of the match and allowing the loose defender in Hodge to be unaccountable was madness) were far bigger factors.

Riewoldt comfortably. Hodge deserves the accolades he receives but I never went to a Hawks game with the knowledge that if we stopped Hodge we win unlike Roo & St Kilda.
You clearly didn't watch the 2008 GF.

Hodge directly stopped 16 of Geelong's massive 64 inside 50 entries on his own. Without him they probably run riot and put 140 plus on us, that is how important he was that day.

#10 in 2004 was Chris Egan from the Pies.
In the presser before his first game he was trying to talk the talk and get stuck into his Murray Bushranger team mate...Brett Deledio....
On that floggish behaviour i nominate Egan.

Same bloke who went out and got a $80,000 car when he sign a contract and was delisted a yr or 2 later - money wasted

The world where he sacrificed his own elite midfield game to lead Hawthorn to 3 premierships (winning 4 in total) and 2 norm smith medals by playing any role necessary to get the job done (as a key defender essentially in 2008 where he directly stopped 16 of Geelong's 64 inside 50 entries) or by kicking key critical goals in the 2014 and 2015 grand finals.

Nick couldn't even kick a goal from 1m out in a GF when he had his shot.

Nah.
Nick Riewoldt all day every day.

Without the team success Hodge would be considered a good player, not a great.

Hodge:

4 time premiership player.
3 time premiership captain.
2 times best-on-grand in a grand final.

We play to win the game.

Yes and you win the game with a team.
So you think that Taylor Duryea was better than Nathan Buckley?

Riewoldt the better player. 99% of neutrals will agree.

Yes and you win the game with a team.
So you think that Taylor Duryea was better than Nathan Buckley?

Riewoldt the better player. 99% of neutrals will agree.

How many Norm Smith medals has Taylor Duryea won?
How many has Luke Hodge won?

In the very biggest game of our sport, Luke Hodge has been Best-on-Ground twice.

I would prefer Luke Hodge in my team than Nick Riewoldt, he was effectively an on-field coach and was a huge part of a team that won 4 premierships. We play to win the game, and Hodge was a winner.

Good luck with your 99%, put up a poll, it would be closer to 50/50 than you would imagine.

P.S. I hate St Kilda and Hawthorn equally.

How many Norm Smith medals has Taylor Duryea won?
How many has Luke Hodge won?

In the very biggest game of our sport, Luke Hodge has been Best-on-Ground twice.

I would prefer Luke Hodge in my team than Nick Riewoldt, he was effectively an on-field coach and was a huge part of a team that won 4 premierships. We play to win the game, and Hodge was a winner.

Good luck with your 99%, put up a poll, it would be closer to 50/50 than you would imagine.

P.S. I hate St Kilda and Hawthorn equally.

Jesus Norm Smith is best on ground in ONE game. Yes its the most important game but it is still one game.

Byron Pickett, Shaun Hart, Andrew Embley etc these guys have won a norm smith.
Are they better than say Peter Burgoyne, Nigel Lappin and Daniel Kerr...hell no.

Hodge was only a winner because he was in a winning team... how hard is that to understand.
If he was at Carlton he would've been a perennial loser.

You don't think that Nick did the onfield coaching and leadership thing?

Not to mention playing the hardest position on the ground, and actually changing the game for EVERY key forward to come afterwards.
In fact you could say today's footy is modeled around Riewoldt's game to an extent.

Dont get me wrong Hodge was a very very good player and even better leader, but Nick was the better player by a margin IMO.
Sam Mitchell was a better player than Hodge.

Jesus Norm Smith is best on ground in ONE game. Yes its the most important game but it is still one game.

You don't win 2 Norm Smiths by chance.
Performing on the biggest stage elevates Hodge in my books big time.

Dont get me wrong Hodge was a very very good player and even better leader, but Nick was the better player by a margin IMO.
Sam Mitchell was a better player than Hodge.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back