Draft Review 2008 - Re-do the 2008 draft

Remove this Banner Ad

7. Michael Hurley

Touted/regarded as an elite/top key defender recently but I don't see it. Wasted his years up forward early on in his career and even recently I think his values in rebounding rather than actual defending. Has still been good enough and arguably worth the early pick they used on him. Also looks to be quite fit for his 2019 compaign, could continue to rise up the ranks.

Personally think the opposite is true in regards to rebounding vs defending. I see him playing as the loose intercept player as big reason to why his form dropped away in 2018. Going into 2019 we'll hopefully be able to play Francis as the intercept defender and allow Hurley to get back to shutting down the opponents most dangerous forward .

Now that they're all approaching the twilight years of their career, it's probably best to rank them based on their last 7-8 seasons in conjunction with their durability and achievement. At their respective peaks, I'd have Naitanui, Beams and Hannebury in the top 3, but the length of their peak + seasonal game-count makes them slide by different margins.

Naitanui and Beams slide due to durability reasons, Hannebury slide as he was only in that elite midfielder category for 2 years.

In terms of overall contribution up to date:
1. Steele Sidebottom

Call me biased all you want, he's been a top 25/30 player in the comp for about 7 years in a row now, having played all across the ground, as outside mid/inside mid/half-forward/small forward-half-back, has won a premiership, came 2nd in the most recent brownlow and looks to be just about the best player from this draft currently. Also a bottom ager, as of this moment still 27, being 7-11 months younger than most players from this draft

2. Rory Sloane

Played exceptionally well with and without Danger. Significantly better than his disposal numbers suggest, and when you get tagged week in week out as a pure inside mid... That just shows how effective he is around contests and how much he allows his teammates to get into the game.

3. Dayne Beams

See above

4. Daniel Hannebury

See above

5. Luke Breust
Precise, efficient and creative. Will always remain underrated compare to the mids but at the end of the day, he just doesn't have that match-winning ability that others have. He seizes the opportunities presented rather than be the player that creates them.

6. Luke Shuey

Pretty much only earnt this spot from his grand final game against the pies. Was half the reason eagles got remotely close to being in the game for most of the game. I mean, how many players across the whole league can you say was the difference between winning a premiership or not. Shuey's 1 game in the grand final has already justified Eagles' selection in the draft.

7. Michael Hurley

Touted/regarded as an elite/top key defender recently but I don't see it. Wasted his years up forward early on in his career and even recently I think his values in rebounding rather than actual defending. Has still been good enough and arguably worth the early pick they used on him. Also looks to be quite fit for his 2019 compaign, could continue to rise up the ranks.

8. Nic Naitanui

Oh what he could've been...

9. Liam Shiels

Team player, been a B+ midfielder for years and has retained his ball-winning ability as he ages.

10. Stephen Hill

Was one of the league's premier wingman for a couple of seasons awhile back. Unfortunately appears to be struggling with injury and I'm close to writing him off...

Good list - I would replace Hill with Davis, Ziebell, Walters or Jetta - all I rate higher. Never thought of Hill as the premier wingman in any year.

Hurley is good, but come on dude. There is zero chance any other club would take Hurley at 2 over the remaining top 10, other than maybe Hanners
Maybe not top 2 but he is definately in the top 5.

I would have him at 3 personally

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

A top ten based on output would look something like this;

1. Sidebottom
2. Beams
3. Naitanui
4. Shuey
5. Rockliff
6. Zaharakis
7. Redden
8. Hurley (pre 2012 was really good)
9. Robinson
10. Sloane

But in my opinion the top end talent of this draft will come through over the next couple of years; the Watts', Yarran's, Hill's, etc.

Over there careers I'd expect the top 10 to be quite different, especially considering the good KPP talent in the top 20.

Could say Collingwood Nailed that Draft with getting Arguably the 2 Best Players in the Draft

Now that they're all approaching the twilight years of their career, it's probably best to rank them based on their last 7-8 seasons in conjunction with their durability and achievement. At their respective peaks, I'd have Naitanui, Beams and Hannebury in the top 3, but the length of their peak + seasonal game-count makes them slide by different margins.

Naitanui and Beams slide due to durability reasons, Hannebury slide as he was only in that elite midfielder category for 2 years.

In terms of overall contribution up to date:
1. Steele Sidebottom

Call me biased all you want, he's been a top 25/30 player in the comp for about 7 years in a row now, having played all across the ground, as outside mid/inside mid/half-forward/small forward-half-back, has won a premiership, came 2nd in the most recent brownlow and looks to be just about the best player from this draft currently. Also a bottom ager, as of this moment still 27, being 7-11 months younger than most players from this draft

2. Rory Sloane

Played exceptionally well with and without Danger. Significantly better than his disposal numbers suggest, and when you get tagged week in week out as a pure inside mid... That just shows how effective he is around contests and how much he allows his teammates to get into the game.

3. Dayne Beams

See above

4. Daniel Hannebury

See above

5. Luke Breust
Precise, efficient and creative. Will always remain underrated compare to the mids but at the end of the day, he just doesn't have that match-winning ability that others have. He seizes the opportunities presented rather than be the player that creates them.

6. Luke Shuey

Pretty much only earnt this spot from his grand final game against the pies. Was half the reason eagles got remotely close to being in the game for most of the game. I mean, how many players across the whole league can you say was the difference between winning a premiership or not. Shuey's 1 game in the grand final has already justified Eagles' selection in the draft.

7. Michael Hurley

8. Nic Naitanui

Oh what he could've been...

9. Liam Shiels

Team player, been a B+ midfielder for years and has retained his ball-winning ability as he ages.

10. Stephen Hill

Was one of the league's premier wingman for a couple of seasons awhile back. Unfortunately appears to be struggling with injury and I'm close to writing him off...
Quality top 8. I would just argue over the order but that's personal preferences. Eg. Shuey is underrated imo.

Reckon Shuey and Sidebottom being a bit overrated on recent form here and Hannebery, Beams and Sloane a bit underrated.

Could say Collingwood Nailed that Draft with getting Arguably the 2 Best Players in the Draft
Yes I feel the same abour our draft, apart from Tom Swift at 20. :D

Pies did it with lower draft picks though so well done to them.

By the time his career has finished, Liam Shiels will have worked his way up into that Top 10....Already has more premierships than the lot of em, continues to improve every year, & will surpass 200 games this year.

Michael Walters was a slow starter but he’s a match winner. Keeps churning out games too.

By the time his career has finished, Liam Shiels will have worked his way up into that Top 10....Already has more premierships than the lot of em, continues to improve every year, & will surpass 200 games this year.
Not a chance. If Walters is struggling to make a top 10 then Shiels has no chance. Not dynamic or dominant enough to be considered over others in this draft.

Not a chance. If Walters is struggling to make a top 10 then Shiels has no chance. Not dynamic or dominant enough to be considered over others in this draft.

The proof will be in the pudding.

Most of these guys still have 5-6 years left....Were Shiels to play 300 games & add another Premiership, he'd be thereabouts.

All things change over time.

The proof will be in the pudding.

Most of these guys still have 5-6 years left....Were Shiels to play 300 games & add another Premiership, he'd be thereabouts.

All things change over time.
It's an individual top 10 and he isn't even better than some of the players not being mentioned (Hill and Ziebell), Zero chance i'd have thought. Maybe he can make the top 10 Hawthorn recruits from the 08 draft though.

It's an individual top 10 and he isn't even better than some of the players not being mentioned (Hill and Ziebell), Zero chance i'd have thought. Maybe he can make the top 10 Hawthorn recruits from the 08 draft though.

How many flags has Ziebell got?

Shiels was drafted as an under-ager in the last draft where all clubs could take one each.....So he's actually got a year up his sleeve on most of those guys....He'll turn 28 during the year & is just coming off his best season.

Hill began his career as a stand-out, but it's fair to say he's hit the wall somewhat of late....No doubt injuries taking their toll.

Shiels just keeps on improving year by year & will wear these boys down by sheer perseverance & hard work alone....Has been our best defensive midfielder & leader of 1%'s for some 5 seasons now.....Very under-rated outside the club.

Shiels was drafted as an under-ager in the last draft where all clubs could take one each.....So he's actually got a year up his sleeve on most of those guys....He'll turn 28 during the year & is just coming off his best season.

Hill began his career as a stand-out, but it's fair to say he's hit the wall somewhat of late....No doubt injuries taking their toll.

Shiels just keeps on improving year by year & will wear these boys down by sheer perseverance & hard work alone....Has been our best defensive midfielder & leader of 1%'s for some 5 seasons now.....Very under-rated outside the club.
So Shiels is better than Sloane as well? Plenty of good footballers have never won a flag, it doesn't mean Shiels is better than any of them. He's a good solid player but he hasn't individually had a season where you would say he is an A grader by any means.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Shiels is better than Sloane as well? Plenty of good footballers have never won a flag, it doesn't mean Shiels is better than any of them. He's a good solid player but he hasn't individually had a season where you would say he is an A grader by any means.

Like I said....It's all about a body of work stretching over the span of an entire career. Only then can you measure a players worth in any draft against those other picks.

Shiels will just continue to grind away & accumulate a career & set of numbers which most of the others will find it difficult to match up against.

That's a pretty successful pick in my books.

What would you prefer.....5 years of top shelf stuff, or 15 years of very-good service & being a significant contributor & role player in multiple premierships?

premierships mean * all when comparing players

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Really flags?

Shiel is a good ordinary player.

In 2018 he was 18th at the Hawks for 1%s. Leader of the 1%s averaging 1.1 a game.

Last edited:
If I was drafting from a lowly team I believe values your team would in a high draft pick is..
1. Match winning ability (thats the whole point right, win matches)
2. Consistency
3. Durability
4. Leadership
5. Positional Flexibility

I think the list below best meets the above qualities

D. Beams
R. Sloane
S. Sidebottom
L. Bruest
D. Hannebury
M. Hurley
T. Rockliff
P. Davis
N. Natainui
J. Ziebell
L. Shuey
M. Walters
L. Shiels
T. Lynch
S. Hill
M. Suckling
D. Zaharakis
J. Redden
N. Jetta
H. Hartlett
D. Rich
M. Robinson
H. Ballantyne
S. Motlop
S. Savage
J. Garlett
J. Roughead
J. Trengove
R. Henderson
M. Broadbent
J. Watts
S. Wright
C. Yarran

I'll leave it there.

Dean Wallis is better than Paul Roos by this measure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back