News Harley Bennell - Ends at Freo in 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

The amount of Belly love has gone into overdrive. He wasn’t even around when Freo extended Harley’s contract, at which point the club made it abundantly clear it was his last chance. Belly comes in, reinforces the message and somehow gets all the credit for it. I think it got more attention than it warranted because the media had to back-pedal after saying Harley was gone... ummmm... well not quite gone, but you know, Belly said some words to him....

Snippet of an article below - shows Harley has been dedicated, has great upside, and Ross put him on notice at time of contract extension (pretty sure Ross elaborated in a post match presser at one point too).

http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/...kers-re-sign-harley-bennell-hayden-ballantyne

Re-signing Bennell comes with risks - both on and off the field.

But Dockers chief executive Steve Rosich feels Bennell, who produced some scintillating displays for the Gold Coast Suns earlier in his career, deserves another year to prove his worth.

"Despite going through some tough periods with injury, Harley has continually kept his head up and worked extremely hard at getting back on the football field," Rosich said.

"We've seen Harley play 10 games in the WAFL this season and we have every hope he can return and play his best football in a Fremantle jumper."

Bennell thanked Ross Lyon for his ongoing support, describing the veteran coach as like a father figure.

But Lyon has warned Bennell that 2019 will be a make-or-break season for him.

Bennell feels he has made some significant progress this year with the help of the ballet physiotherapist.

Collingwood's Ben Reid did the same thing in 2015, turning to ballet conditioning expert Paula Baird Colt to try to heal his own soft-tissue problems.

"Our physio Jeff Boyle and I sat down with the ballet teacher and we just started working more on the footwork and the muscles in my foot that contract with the calf muscles as well," Bennell said.

"We were doing that once a week with her and it's really helped my top-end sprints."

It's the post basically saying he should be treating his footy more like a business and less like a social club?

My comment wasnt about Harley per se, it was because some people believe athletes owe their club for some strange reason.

So he fudged up a few times. There wasnt anything to get sacked for, that's how the club saw it, so move on. Holding him to ransom does nothing for anyone as he doesnt owe anyone anything!

He hasn’t played more than a few games in the last three years so is it reasonable to say he is elite?
Don’t you have to prove your elite status year on year?

Hate to be optimistic on Bennell but this is the most I have seen of him in a preseason at our club. That must be a positive and perhaps he was right about his concerns on the clubs treatment of his calf injuries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hate to be optimistic on Bennell but this is the most I have seen of him in a preseason at our club. That must be a positive and perhaps he was right about his concerns on the clubs treatment of his calf injuries.
Or perhaps is was just an injury that was just very hard to fix and no one is to blame. That is something that happens in every sport. THe club sent him to the doctor who was advertised as one of the best in the world who had fixed similar problems with star international soccer players and he wasnt able to completely fix the issue. Im not sure what else they could do.

Or perhaps is was just an injury that was just very hard to fix and no one is to blame. That is something that happens in every sport. THe club sent him to the doctor who was advertised as one of the best in the world who had fixed similar problems with star international soccer players and he wasnt able to completely fix the issue. Im not sure what else they could do.
Or perhaps those "star international soccer players" didn't hit the D&A whilst attempting to recover from whatever injuries they had ?

So we head into a 3 week window now where we anxiously wake up waiting to hear any news about what Harley or any other player has been caught doing

Shall we do a countdown?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So we head into a 3 week window now where we anxiously wake up waiting to hear any news about what Harley or any other player has been caught doing

Shall we do a countdown?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ill save you the trouble. Harley's been caught running repeat sprints on soft sand at a beach in Mandurah by my cousin a couple of days ago.

C-mon guys. This should be a conversation about Harley. Not about west coast.

he West Coast Eagles is aware that rookie listed ruckman Tony Olango is facing assault charges as a result of an incident in Darwin last year.

Goodness, they make it so easy..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back