Past #6: Taylor Garner - delisted end '21 - 49 NM games/37 NM goals - go well Garns

Good goal, but it is a hard spot to score goals consistently from there, I would be more chuffed if we as a club from there instinctively went back into the corridor about 25-30m out dead in front and we had people leading there instinctively because we are drilled to expect the disciplined high probability team play rather than the low probability individual play. That kind of thing is what differentiates mediocre sides from great sides.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Good goal, but it is a hard spot to score goals consistently from there, I would be more chuffed if we as a club from there instinctively went back into the corridor about 25-30m out dead in front and we had people leading there instinctively because we are drilled to expect the disciplined high probability team play rather than the low probability individual play. That kind of thing is what differentiates mediocre sides from great sides.

Maybe that's why they got rid of him for a bag of beans to Brisbane after that flag? :stern look

Sure, there is a time and place to take the shot, especially if the forward line is congested. Team play in terms of hitting up targets up forward hasn't been a strong suit for us in recent times, would just prefer to see us look to do the team oriented thing more and the individual thing a bit less than what we have done in recent times. There was also an empty paddock in front of goal, nobody is running into that space because they know they aren't going to get the lead honored.

In the 90s, despite having guns in Carey and Longmire, we were more disciplined in terms of looking for the best option be it Crocker, Sholl, Abraham, Allison, McKernan, etc.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Maybe that's why they got rid of him for a bag of beans to Brisbane after that flag? :stern look

Sure, there is a time and place to take the shot, especially if the forward line is congested. Team play in terms of hitting up targets up forward hasn't been a strong suit for us in recent times, would just prefer to see us look to do the team oriented thing more and the individual thing a bit less than what we have done in recent times. There was also an empty paddock in front of goal, nobody is running into that space because they know they aren't going to get the lead honored.

In the 90s, despite having guns in Carey and Longmire, we were more disciplined in terms of looking for the best option be it Crocker, Sholl, Abraham, Allison, McKernan, etc.

Sure, but there are also times when no ones giving the easy option in the goal square because they read the play wrong, at that point the player had the right to back themselves and have a crack. If you don’t think we have players who run into an open goal wanting the easy ‘goe the goose’ we’ve been watch different sides.

Sure, but there are also times when no ones giving the easy option in the goal square because they read the play wrong, at that point the player had the right to back themselves and have a crack. If you don’t think we have players who run into an open goal wanting the easy ‘goe the goose’ we’ve been watch different sides.

Nobody was making a lead in that particular play and it was from a stoppage. If it was Richmond or Collingwood would there be someone in space 30m out of goal, probably because they have been drilled to find space in recent times so people are inclined to look for the targets. When we played Richmond how often did guys find themselves on their own 30m out from goal. There is an obvious difference between some players taking matters into their own hands and something which is a tactic or set play.

Even if those options aren't utilised, they should be making the leads. I know it is a cliche but footy is a game of little things, if you do a lot of the little things right then you become a great team. We do some things fantastically, but don't seem to make an effort on a lot of the little things so we lose out on some opportunities to score, we leak a few goals and games that could have been won are lost and we find ourselves another year as a middle of the road side.

We should have higher expectations. What you see on the track is what you get at games, if nothing has changed at training, nothing will change come gameday. I hope it is just an anomaly and we do a lot better in most passages of play.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Can Garner play small forward opposite Jy ?

HF: JZ Wood. Atley
FF: Jy Brown Garner

Is this what it looks like with Garner in this line-up?

Garner is a pure forward, whereas Jy will play as a HFF/midfielder.

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au
Can Garner play small forward opposite Jy ?

HF: JZ Wood. Atley
FF: Jy Brown Garner

Is this what it looks like with Garner in this line-up?

Big Willy walker in place of atley and we’re on a winner
Garner and ziebs smashing them in the forward line
Jed, cunners , BJ ect smashing them in the mids
Taz, thommo , Marley smashing them on the back half.
Starting to remind me of the 90s team - a harder edge is appearing

On garner it’s great to see him on the track - I wouldn’t take him to Perth rd1 - unleash him rd2

Jesslc

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Big Willy walker in place of atley and we’re on a winner
Garner and ziebs smashing them in the forward line
Jed, cunners , BJ ect smashing them in the mids
Taz, thommo , Marley smashing them on the back half.
Starting to remind me of the 90s team - a harder edge is appearing

On garner it’s great to see him on the track - I wouldn’t take him to Perth rd1 - unleash him rd2
Jy doesnt have issue being a bit of a C''' either.

Edit: And as much as the lynch mob wants Lmac's head, that kid loves it too.

Last edited:
I'll put my faith in this man once he plays a full season, just as I have with Jed.

You'll be waiting a while. I don't think that is ever going to be on the cards for Garner personally. 16+ including finals would be a solid result each year. Anything more would be a massive bonus.

He played almost every game in 2017. Id count that year.

Yep. And still recovering from it :). I think he's always going to be a very carefully managed proposition now (a la Wells) but if we do it well and his availability lines up with our peaks it just might be worth it.

Billy Not Really

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2018
Licking windows at the back of the bus.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He played almost every game in 2017. Id count that year.

Feels like an eternity ago.

You'll be waiting a while. I don't think that is ever going to be on the cards for Garner personally. 16+ including finals would be a solid result each year. Anything more would be a massive bonus.

I'd be fine if he got past 5 games really, 16+ would be a real treat.

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yes, Walker with many more talents than Atley.
Im going with Atley ahead of Walker. Don't get me wrong, I really like the look of Walker but Atley had a solid year and put up some good numbers, played a few very good games. We sometimes forget that these guys running around aren't actually that bad.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Waussie

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Im going with Atley ahead of Walker. Don't get me wrong, I really like the look of Walker but Atley had a solid year and put up some good numbers, played a few very good games. We sometimes forget that these guys running around aren't actually that bad.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yep I agree at the moment, but give WW a couple of more seasons and he'll really take off.

Oh he's looking good in the match sim. For those who said "stick a fork in him" get in the bin, for those who have stuck fat, join me as we sing:

Never garner give you up
Never garner let you down
He's garner run around
Then destroy you

Oh he's looking good in the match sim. For those who said "stick a fork in him" get in the bin, for those who have stuck fat, join me as we sing:

Never garner give you up
Never garner let you down
He's garner run around
Then destroy you
Kicked at least 2 goals by the look of the vision.

Back