Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

I am happy to be proven wrong. I think making this decision when the club was on it's knees was always a dangerous way to go. As the club looks to be rebuilding and hopefully moving into an era of success, you have to wonder what other opportunities for a more central facility might've arisen. QLD sport is fickle, a successful Lions team will be the toast of the town, the money will pour in and smart long term planning could occur.

In all reality what we have done is more the norm in international sport rather than the exception. Even within the AFL the move outward is becoming the trend, which makes sense given the cost of inner city land and the fact so little of it remains. Overseas almost all NFL sides have training grounds far from their actual cities and stadiums. Soccer as well. Chelsea, one of the best backed teams in world football have their training base an hour out of London. Man Utd are 35 minutes. Clubs like Collingwood, Sydney, Richmond etc are more the exception than the norm by world standards in having their facilities in the centre of town and even then they have compromises they have to make in doing so with regards to facilities

Last edited:
You know, not trying to stir the pot on Springfield (I'm on board with the idea fwiw) but I do have to wonder if the primary complaint about staying at The Gabba is the rent for the admin quarters, why didn't we just move the admin into an office building adjacent to the stadium until Springfield came online? Over the years there's been office space next to and very close to the Gabba that could have been used, there are warehouses that could have been converted into gyms and indoor training facilities, and we could have still used the Gabba for field training.

Have we been locked into a long lease period in that Hyundai branded building?

As a life long and die hard member willing to show their commitment to the club, I am even prepared to pay the club's lease of $1 per year in perpetuity.

You're welcome, Dylan12 :p
Happy to go 50-50 just to share the load. We might get a plaque :laughing:

I understand the value of Unions as I was being exploited & the BLF fixed the situation. Not sure if you have a negative opinion of the BLF Union Reps threat to a Corporation who felt no obligation to end their exploitation of a minor &/or if your opinion of the BZ'ers is negative. Either way your entitled to have a differing opinion; I'd just like to understand what it is, if you could help on that front.
Cheers.
The last paragraph comment pretty clearly what I said to the Copenhagen riots.

My parents where working in Denmark at the time and the riots and participating in them is hardly something to be proud off.

You know, not trying to stir the pot on Springfield (I'm on board with the idea fwiw) but I do have to wonder if the primary complaint about staying at The Gabba is the rent for the admin quarters, why didn't we just move the admin into an office building adjacent to the stadium until Springfield came online? Over the years there's been office space next to and very close to the Gabba that could have been used, there are warehouses that could have been converted into gyms and indoor training facilities, and we could have still used the Gabba for field training.

Have we been locked into a long lease period in that Hyundai branded building?

We don't get to use the gabba for training though, which is a large part of the problem. We get to use it for one short training session late in the week during season. Pre season its completely off limits to us due to cricket so we'd still be in the same situation as we are now, using multiple locations. I guess they decided that spending a few million dollars on a slap dash solution wasn't preferable as waiting for a full solution. I get what you're saying but the above would have resulted in spending several million dollars on a solution that would have resulted in the exact same situation as we have now. I would imagine it was looked at as a short term option due to the cost being similar to remaining where they are for a few years and avoiding having to relocate everything. I don't have any proof of this but its what nay reasonably run businesses would do.

We don't get to use the gabba for training though, which is a large part of the problem. We get to use it for one short training session late in the week during season. Pre season its completely off limits to us due to cricket so we'd still be in the same situation as we are now, using multiple locations. I guess they decided that spending a few million dollars on a slap dash solution wasn't preferable as waiting for a full solution. I get what you're saying but the above would have resulted in spending several million dollars on a solution that would have resulted in the exact same situation as we have now. I would imagine it was looked at as a short term option due to the cost being similar to remaining where they are for a few years and avoiding having to relocate everything. I don't have any proof of this but its what nay reasonably run businesses would do.
More to the point, who was going to lend us a few million bucks for a short term solution given we are almost entirely reliant on outside funding?

Are we talking about an approx 30km drive? If so, what's the problem? 30km is really not very far or time consuming..

I'm sure the boys won't object to a drive to new facilities, even if it takes a tad longer to get there.

I am happy to be proven wrong. I think making this decision when the club was on it's knees was always a dangerous way to go. As the club looks to be rebuilding and hopefully moving into an era of success, you have to wonder what other opportunities for a more central facility might've arisen. QLD sport is fickle, a successful Lions team will be the toast of the town, the money will pour in and smart long term planning could occur.

It's a peppercorn lease though. When the money starts running in, it will go towards making us a better team and club, rather than into rent.

Great men choose Graceville.

The Graceville and Chelmer area is an amazing little pocket of Brisbane. Stunning really.

I’ve always seen it as an area occupied by older, rich doctors and lawyers though but that might be an outdated perception these days. Trendy enough for younger types with money now?

Are we talking about an approx 30km drive? If so, what's the problem? 30km is really not very far or time consuming..

I'm sure the boys won't object to a drive to new facilities, even if it takes a tad longer to get there.

Spot on.

The Dallas Cowboys training facility is in the city of Frisco, 45 kilometres north of Dallas.

Their stadium is in the city of Arlington, about 40kms west/south-west of Dallas.

If that sort of arrangement is good enough for the richest sports club in the world, then...

The last paragraph comment pretty clearly what I said to the Copenhagen riots.

My parents where working in Denmark at the time and the riots and participating in them is hardly something to be proud off.

Well I am. I lived there for years & know what it was about; tyranny. I doubt you have the foggiest.

Springfield wow, the place the Club got only because we have a team in the Women's League.
Didn't we have a bloke on the board for one year when this was being formulated & then he left because of conflict of interest?
I believe Springfield is the location because it has added millions to a few pockets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just with this peppercorn lease, we will be gaining so much more money. Hopefully we get a profit rather than a loss when we move in

I imagine it will over time be a move towards smaller losses and eventual break evens in terms of yearly balance sheets.

The bigger upside is that the couple of million we pay to the Gabba in dead rent payments instead will be paying off an actual asset that the club owns.

Well I am. I lived there for years & know what it was about; tyranny. I doubt you have the foggiest.

Springfield wow, the place the Club got only because we have a team in the Women's League.
Didn't we have a bloke on the board for one year when this was being formulated & then he left because of conflict of interest?
I believe Springfield is the location because it has added millions to a few pockets.

There has been some absolute crap written here about the long-suggested move to Springfield, but I am awarding this rubbish first prize.

The Graceville and Chelmer area is an amazing little pocket of Brisbane. Stunning really.

I’ve always seen it as an area occupied by older, rich doctors and lawyers though but that might be an outdated perception these days. Trendy enough for younger types with money now?

I agree it's a lovely area. The thing about doctors and lawyers is probably more modern though. It was a fairly working-class area in close proximity to richer areas across the river a bit closer to the city. The Sherwood (Western Magpies) and old Western District Clubs attracted those people to play footy and spend money at the clubs.
A few times I've looked at the area to live. It's got good train connections to the city, it's fairly flat and well-planned with easy and short walking distance to high-street type shops and cafe's, good people with good schools close by - nice. The only problem for me is that a good house out of the flood zone that covers a lot of the district is very expensive. Lions players should be able to afford though!

I have spent a fair amount of time in Springfield over the past six years and it's changed so much in that time. Also from what I saw on the maps, the Orion shopping centre, cinemas and lagoon are all right next to where our facilities will be. Quite handy for young families going to training sessions/games to pop in before or after to cool down.

No Bob Sharpless was on the board and the chairman for many years before stepping aside and letting Andrew Wellington take over. Now yes he is also chairman of the Springfield land corporation. What I have yet to see with any of these sorts of statements is an explanation of how they are lining Thier pockets. Especially given they've given the land to Ipswich city council for nothing so they can lease it to us and then they're contributing 18 million to construction costs. Now of course Springfield will get some sort of appeal boost by having the lions there but I wouldn't imagine it's going to contribute a massive uplift in house sales. It's more consistent with a business person who is a lions fan utilising their business position to help the team they follow. It's about time we had someone from the business sector help us out like so many Melbourne, Sa and WA teams get from their fans and members with business connections

So I'm genuinely interested as to how you believe that they are filling their pockets in this scenario?

It's really beautiful but I wouldn't say it's like Paddington, New Farm or Balmoral .... although it's not far off it.

Definitely an older demographic, but plenty going on. I think it could change pretty quickly with a bit of an influx.

Absolutely a legit option for players wanting to get to Springfield quickly - the Ipswich motorway is just down Oxley Rd a bit and you can get to Springfield in a very reasonable drive.

Personally I was very disappointed when Springfield was announced as it seems so far out of Brisbane, but with the road infrastructure and having grown up in the inner West of town I can say that it's a really top spot.

I'm now right behind the idea and think that if the facility is first class, it doesn't matter if it's 15min further in a car.

According to Google - 25min from my house in Graceville.

No Bob Sharpless was on the board and the chairman for many years before stepping aside and letting Andrew Wellington take over. Now yes he is also chairman of the Springfield land corporation. What I have yet to see with any of these sorts of statements is an explanation of how they are lining Thier pockets. Especially given they've given the land to Ipswich city council for nothing so they can lease it to us and then they're contributing 18 million to construction costs. Now of course Springfield will get some sort of appeal boost by having the lions there but I wouldn't imagine it's going to contribute a massive uplift in house sales. It's more consistent with a business person who is a lions fan utilising their business position to help the team they follow. It's about time we had someone from the business sector help us out like so many Melbourne, Sa and WA teams get from their fans and members with business connections

So I'm genuinely interested as to how you believe that they are filling their pockets in this scenario?
It’s all about amenities to the local community and what having the associate facilities will bring the the Springfield area.

Springfield Land Corp are a very well run group and would have run the number on what type of value this would add to the area. Adding to the area along with the shopping centres, transport options all increase values.

It’s all about amenities to the local community and what having the associate facilities will bring the the Springfield area.

Springfield Land Corp are a very well run group and would have run the number on what type of value this would add to the area. Adding to the area along with the shopping centres, transport options all increase values.
Sure I get all that, but they will have to recoup 25-30 million just to break even on it let alone make a profit. I'm not sure if having the stadium and the lions gives them that sort of uplift. I could be wrong but it's hardly the lining the pockets scenario being thrown out there

Sure I get all that, but they will have to recoup 25-30 million just to break even on it let alone make a profit. I'm not sure if having the stadium and the lions gives them that sort of uplift. I could be wrong but it's hardly the lining the pockets scenario being thrown out there

It’s similar to the AFL’s decision to expand onto the Gold Coast with the Suns, it’s a timed play. Wait for a decent amount of years as this new construction has new industry/retail/suburban structures around it, these will then amp the price of the neighbourhood, they will then make more money.

Even announcing the construction of the new base helps with their overall goal.

I find it amusing that you attribute altruistic motives to a Land Corporation which has had close dealings with the Ipswich City Council. The Ipswich City Council LMAO.

Developer called before CCC hearing
joelgould-1c31psps1rll94089i2_ct30x30.jpg

by jgould

20th Apr 2017 8:41 AM

SPRINGFIELD Land Corporation deputy-chairman Bob Sharpless has been called to appear before the Crime and Corruption Commission (CCC) public hearing.
The CCC has updated its witness list and Mr Sharpless is slated to appear on Thursday, April 27 at the hearing which will investigate the conduct of candidates in the Ipswich, Moreton Bay and Gold Coast local government elections in 2016.

** On the board & Chairman for many years? Try four & imo four very poor years so far as Club performance goes.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back