Health Depression

AFDogs

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Get the feeling a lot of my friends are depressed at the moment. Some have told me, others not so much.

Brings down my vibe when I'm with them. They never want to do anything socially, nor seem to seek ways to help it.

I fully understand it's a C**T of a thing.

Bunkdar

All Australian
Aug 29, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Get the feeling a lot of my friends are depressed at the moment. Some have told me, others not so much.

Brings down my vibe when I'm with them. They never want to do anything socially, nor seem to seek ways to help it.

I fully understand it's a campaigner of a thing.
luv ya honesty around how it effects you

It's a never ending battle.

I've not seen my boy in 6 years. Dysthymic depression as a result.

Just found out he's changed school for the 3rd time in 3 years. Ex keeps having issues with the schools.

He's 14 and ready to rebel. His mother's making him totally reliant on her. He doesn't go out much or have many friends or do any extra curricular activity or sport. He's being isolated so his Mum is his best friend.

Lawyer is seeing options. Hopefully we can report to a child advocate before he goes off the rails. I can't see him until he's "mature age of independence" but i can't let him get out of control or be smothered and controlled by her any longer. He's tall and if he goes off his mother won't be able to handle him for sure and he sure as heck won't listen to me.

Doing my absolute head in but work provide MH sessions so gonna take advantage of it.

Blue1980

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
No i dont. I understand how helpful swimming and diet are but these are strategies to get you through standard s**t times OR general feel good maintenance.

It is very hard to feel motivated to do these great things when you feel paralysed and like your body is made of lead.

I am hoping this passes. Like last year was hell, i had uninvited visions of my friend and suicide. This year the visions aren't as often. I am trying ride it out and hopefully will come out the other side a better person.

Nothing against people that take anti dees but i do not want to take them.

Over the past two years i have had gone through phases of doing lots of yoga. I can feel this phase coming on now. Yoga helps.

I’ve been on meds nearly 14 years, I had debilitating anxiety and panic for 6 months prior I could barely function or enjoy anything, then within 3 weeks I felt myself coming back to normal.

Of course everyone’s story is different, but common misconceptions of meds are they change your personality, numb you or some other such thing. This has not happened to me, I am not perfect but it’s made it a lot easier for me to be more what I consider my real self not overcome with crazy anxiety all the time.

I say this because I really don’t like the idea of people suffering and potentially others out there committing suicide over stigmas about meds.

The problems exist if someone is still an alcoholic and drugs all the time, and doesn’t do anything else positive with their life, but the meds can be a vital tool in helping someone get to a balanced enough state to be able to work through things. Similar to psychology and counseling, explore any tools available to assist.

Blue1980

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
I have heard of extreme exercise is very helpful for depression.

I am feeling better, going to the gym, yoga, back into making art and see hope for the future.

Bunkdar, if you see no hope for your future and your body feels like it is made of lead and you just want to die then it is not possible to go for a sprint, as helpful as i am sure this would be. You would need people to "weekend at Bernies" your sprint.

There is a difference between severe / clinical depression and feeling like s**t / having a bad day.

I know how to deal with general obstacles and rough days. Yes, exercise is super helpful.

Exercise is massively important, but yes if you are clinically depressed, exercise in and of itself isn’t going to fix things.

It’s one of many things that can help.

Gameova_

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Jesus thats just ******* horrible. Fwiw doing all the right things by talking.

Not trying to compare but choked on a bit of food a couple months back- wasnt going down had to reach my hand in and just pull the food out was bloody scary.

I’ve had this a few times happen to me recently, not enough where I have to put my hand in, but enough know for that second or two if I don’t do something to get the thing stuck im going to die. Helplessness is the best word that describes choking. It’s scary.

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Feels like i'm built of straw. Take one strand out and it all collapses. Take work for example one or two things go wrong (which is inevitable really) and the whole ship collapses. And in the back of my mind I know (from repeated past experience) I will either get the boot or just be drifted off once the contract expires and it is getting to the stage where I might not get another job. And if you don't have work you can't really go about making changes.

Just feel the whole way I live has infected my pshyce and there aren't too many places left to go but try and push on and not bother setting any long term goals.

Perth gal

Premiership Player
Oct 19, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
I
Feels like i'm built of straw. Take one strand out and it all collapses. Take work for example one or two things go wrong (which is inevitable really) and the whole ship collapses. And in the back of my mind I know (from repeated past experience) I will either get the boot or just be drifted off once the contract expires and it is getting to the stage where I might not get another job. And if you don't have work you can't really go about making changes.

Just feel the whole way I live has infected my pshyce and there aren't too many places left to go but try and push on and not bother setting any long term goals.
I feel like straw a bit too.

wart101

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 18, 2006
Under the fridge
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Portland FC
I have suffered from anxiety and depression pretty much my whole life, i had my first bout of chronic depression when i was 11, pretty scary thing at that age considering you have no idea what it is that you are feeling and feel isolated from the entire universe and that no one in it knows what is happening. Had another bout of chronic depression when i was 16, this time knowing what was happening but still to young to talk about it i held it in, yes it got to the point of serious suicidal thoughts to which i spoke to no one about and would have gone through with it if it wasn't for a subtle change that happened in my life, consequences though lead to me using drugs to feel better and some criminal activity as well as anti social behavior.

I'm now 36 and still suffer from anxiety, i take anti depressants to cope with anxiety and i swore i would never do that but honestly, i feel so much better, i even took my first plane ride just the other day (Loved Melbourne BTW) i still feel anxious and sad sometimes but i am able to cope and express my feelings, it's ok to feel sad but it's not ok to feel sad and alone, i have worked really hard to change my life and work on being a better person and dealing with my issues, i did it the ******* hard way guys and was really lucky, if you are on here and are 9, 10, 11, 40, 60 any age, talk to someone there are so many people who will listen, i didn't realise it at the time, i wish i did.

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
My on and off depression has been notably absent since I started a new job in Taiwan. I guess that's the power of finding a job that is enjoyable.

It's the first advice I give to stop depression and it's always worked for me.

"Get out of the environment that is making you depressed!"

Exercise is great but getting fit doesn't get rid of depression if you stay in the toxic environments such as work or continue to associate with people that trigger your depression.

Feeling very burnt out by being swarmed with political stories and conversations all day. Feeling burnt out by having to hand hold people through political conversations so that their emotions don't take over.

Feeling burnt out. Any suggestions? How do I ignore this sort of interaction, and not get drawn in by people making overly emotional comments. It just stresses me out, and I don't want to participate anymore. Brings me down.

Bunkdar

All Australian
Aug 29, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Feeling very burnt out by being swarmed with political stories and conversations all day. Feeling burnt out by having to hand hold people through political conversations so that their emotions don't take over.

Feeling burnt out. Any suggestions? How do I ignore this sort of interaction, and not get drawn in by people making overly emotional comments. It just stresses me out, and I don't want to participate anymore. Brings me down.
shoot up a mosque
seriously tho... watch some stand up or podcasts with comedians

tryitout

All Australian
Jan 11, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide

Best thin imo, is just 100% ignore it. If I'm in between two people arguing different sides I just tell them they're two sides of the same coin, then ask them to either change the conversation or move it elsewhere. Once you keep telling people they're boring you to death with political talk they'll usually cease with it. When you enable them they will just keep going.

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Try and focus on what you're going to get out of the interaction. In a practical sense, political discussions tend to be pretty pointless. Most people are pretty set in their opinions, so it's unrealistic to think you're going to convince anyone to change their mind. The only reason to engage is generally if you particularly enjoy arguing as a pastime. It sounds like you are not one of those people.

Anyone who thinks less of you for declining to be baited into a political debate (or withdrawing once it's clear that discussion is unproductive) is probably not someone whose esteem is worth your time to court.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Having lived with someone who is suffering from psychotic depression for definitely 4 years, but up to 10 years - the toll it ends up taking on everyone is just immense.

No more words than that - apart from mental health issues and their impact is grossly misunderstood and undervalued in our society.

Older brother has severe anxiety and depression issues. I resent how our parents handled it. Dismissed it as normal youth cliche that would solve itself. Eventually he's 18, no friends, not getting into university. Yeah didn't ******* solve itself. And in the meantime for best part of a decade his s**t cascaded and copied onto me because they didn't do anything. So most of it repeats.

Two shoddy parents reinforcing each other's flawed thinking can really * up a person (or persons).

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just realised my work situation is ****ed as:
I'm too introverted and burnt out to work long term in my current job and too mentally ****ed up and lacking in talent, experience to do much else. Plus bad calls etc But am cool with it. If given time and space to think i can be creative so will roll on. Don't care about money anyway (as I figure marriage/mortgages/kids etc) are out for me anyways. So will just do whatever comes and hang who i want to hang with and not be beholden to others, group think or society.

Back