Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get the Tayla Harris hoo ha. Granted the photo was pulled before I saw the story but I saw a screenshot in a news article. The way people have carried on it's as though they've never been on the internet before, it's a horrible place.

Also, this is how (mostly) women behave on the internet: https://www.pedestrian.tv/style/viral-ad-bikini/

shhhhhhhh, don't stop the masses from telling us how bad males are and females are never vulgar

I don't get the Tayla Harris hoo ha. Granted the photo was pulled before I saw the story but I saw a screenshot in a news article. The way people have carried on it's as though they've never been on the internet before, it's a horrible place.

Also, this is how (mostly) women behave on the internet: https://www.pedestrian.tv/style/viral-ad-bikini/
As others have said, it was caving in to the trolls and removing the pic that was the biggest issue. But also, it’s waking up the fact that shrugging your shoulders and saying ‘ah well, it’s the internet’ isn’t an appropriate response. Time to move beyond it.

If we're going to start policing people saying mean stuff on the internet we're going to need a lot more police.
Who said anything about police. But it’s a cop out to say nothing can be done. If someone walked up to a girl in the street and started calling her a slag and a ****, people would step in and the person held to account for their actions. That’s more or less what happened with the the Taylah Harris pic, so progress, I guess. The problem is comments can come from half a world away so the abusers don’t really have to accept responsibility for their s**t behaviour.

If we're going to start policing people saying mean stuff on the internet we're going to need a lot more police.
Are you suggesting people can just say whatever they want without consequences as long as it's on the internet?

From what we've learned in the last few days tech companies can easily censor content but in many cases choose not to. I put some of it down to that peculiarly American puritanist spirit, a nipple slip is the end of the world but scenes of extreme violence are seemingly of less importance to them.
But footage of real life surgeries should be in black and white or blurred because that stuff is gross.

Who said anything about police. But it’s a cop out to say nothing can be done.

Didn't say that.

Are you suggesting people can just say whatever they want without consequences as long as it's on the internet?

Didn't say that either.

Just saying that a few boneheads saying mean things about a female athlete is at the low end of the scale in the grand scheme of internet horribleness. If people want to call out trolls have at it, but you've got your work cut out.

I cringe at some of the stuff Eugenie Bouchard has aimed at her on Instagram and credit to her she doesn't mind giving it back and it doesn't seem to bother her.

But she still shouldn't have to put up with it just because she doesn't take tennis as serious as some people want her to take it.

I personally think organisations like the AFL should just disable comments to the pictures they post.

And now we have people celebrating Alex Rance getting injured cause he has a personality that you may not like.

And now we have people celebrating Alex Rance getting injured cause he has a personality that you may not like.
The internet is a place where the weak and simple-minded can gain attention and traction. It's kind of like a mob mentality, cutting down achievers while never achieving something themselves. Opinions are just that, and shock value doesn't make an opinion more valid.

See it for what it is and ignore the predictable mundane bullshit and skip straight past it. Don't engage because you're just fuelling it.

I liken it to when Cersai (in GoT) has to do the walk of shame. The mob spit and ridicule her without actually knowing the facts. Most of us never know the facts and I refuse to become outraged at s**t that has nothing to do with me. Some people on the internet are that mob abusing Cersai(bad analogy but kind of appropriate).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

See it for what it is and ignore the predictable mundane bullshit and skip straight past it. Don't engage because you're just fuelling it.

I liken it to when Cersai (in GoT) has to do the walk of shame. The mob spit and ridicule her without actually knowing the facts. Most of us never know the facts and I refuse to become outraged at s**t that has nothing to do with me. Some people on the internet are that mob abusing Cersai(bad analogy but kind of appropriate).

Good advice and it's what i have done in the last few years and it does make the days more enjoyable.

Hopefully that message keeps getting through, I noticed a few people on twitter told some AFL people in the media to stop retweeting the trolls celebrating the Alex Rance injury.

As you say people will always do it but if you ignore them and don't let their thoughts get attention, I think eventually they will stop doing it.

Wait til the first decent all in brawl in AFLW and shirts and bras are getting ripped open/off.

AFLW will then start being shown 5 min delay to blur anything out.

Also they would never have cameras roaming the rooms after the game. Ypu often see shirtless blokes in the background... imagine the outrage if a woman was seen topless.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sticking with the theme of the thread, I don't understand people actually commenting on Channel 7 Facebook pages, positive or negative. Do people really have so little going on in their lives that's how they amuse themselves?
I am a Top Fan. It is fun

Not worlds apart from the s**t we talk on here.

People going on to Twitter etc. and engaging celebrities like they are having an actual conversation though... like you know Taylor Swift isn't actually going to respond to you, right?

You never know :)

TBH, they'll only ever respond if you're speaking absolute s**t or trolling them or being a ratbag.

I have never gotten celeb responses from kindness...they're used to it.

People going on to Twitter etc. and engaging celebrities like they are having an actual conversation though... like you know Taylor Swift isn't actually going to respond to you, right?

would they even see it, wouldn't it be handled by a publicist, they would have a non searchable accounts

At least this kind of social media lends itself to two-way conversations; making comments on Facebook is just shouting into the wind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back