Review Positives and Negatives vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Some of the most incredible highlights from this game.

Petrucelle down the wing with a couple of bounces and finish it off. Incredible how far behind Williams he was when he took off and just flew past him. Williams was looking dejected most of the night knowing he couldn’t keep up and trying to stem the bleeding and not look too silly... he didn’t succeed.

Sheed with the stop and prop and fake and stop and then kick. They say the game slows down for the great players. I don’t think Sheed is there yet, but that play looked outstanding.

It’s a big positive seeing Petruccelle back himself and kick a goal after his run down the wing. It’ll be huge for his confidence, players like him need to be a bit selfish around goal. It’s also encouraging to see him do it late in the last quarter, at which stage most young players are completely gassed.

+ At the game Venables is close to being damaging offensively. A few stoppages the other night he got his hands to the ball from a tap bursting through congestion but just couldn’t quite take it cleanly. If he gets that happening he’ll be hard to stop.

+ Oscar Allen. We don’t really have any campaigners at the club but he’s got a bit of Jack Riewoldt about him I reckon. Not a bad thing as the kid oozes confidence and I don’t think he’ll play many bad games in his career. Rising star contender for sure and wouldn’t be surprised to see him nominated this week.

Don’t have any negatives to mention, what’s there to be negative about?

Watching the replay without distractions today

Hickey - Had some sort of game, I noticed the marks but his kicking is the best of all our ruckmen. He hit a few passes nice and low off his left almost like a midfielder and his ground work was as good as his aerial ability. The one play in qtr 2 he marks in defense, kicks a perfect pass, then later on marks up forward. He kicks the goal and goes on to win the hitout in the centre. Just unstoppable in the 2nd.

Gov / Barrass - Gov especially was absolutely killing it by foot, he had a long kick (55m) over the back to JK after taking a running bounce! His confidence clearly up, besides one stupid spoil into the corridor he was infallible. Barrass also hit up some nice passes.

Hutchings / Redden - Hutchings ball use was good for him, really clean hands down low firing out handballs to teammates chests. Redden had some incredible plays, a run down tackle to force a turnover for a goal, a left foot drilled pass out wide to Duggan, great vision to hit Shuey up on the square with a perfect pass and a lunging spoil in d50 that Shep would have been proud of.

Duggan / Cole - Unbelievable response from the young guys back there. There was not much run last week and Duggan had 3 bounces today, 11 uncontested marks and 6 one percenters while Cole had 9 uncontested marks and won 4 free kicks with beautiful lunging tackles. Nobody lunges for a tackle like Cole except perhaps Yeo from behind. Both used the ball at 95%. Besides Hurn I think Duggan is the one I trust most to not get bumped off a ball and be able to control the space in front of him the most.

Shep / Venners / Yeo - These guys had a really mixed bag but there's so much to like. Shep is a maniac in pursuit of the ball and I wouldn't be surprised if his vertical leap was the second or third best in the club (Ryan / Nat better?) given how he gets up for spoils. His run from behind was much improved but he and Yeo turned it over a fair bit. Yeo is a star, so talented and working through two weeks of a tag now he'll only get better, look at what he's doing for Sheed and Shuey though. Venables has serious grunt, puts his head over it like Redden, has clean hands and he actually made some good runs to space for a few uncontested marks which was good to see.

Ryan - A quiet game but I tell you what if they put a few more balls over the back and let him turn his opponent instead of trying to hit him on the chest with a lead we'll see a lot of success. Whenever there's a one on one on the wing he wins, taps to his advantage, keeps his feet and he's off. Defenders don't know what to do, they will eventually start giving away professional frees to stop him getting it but that's a small win for us with our big talls waiting forward.

Darling - Played a better game than I thought, amazing ability to always keep his feet or get back to them quickly. So strong, so quick and so determined to lead from the front. Shows a lot of maturity along with all his skills, great tackles and that one on one contest on the f50 flank was awesome from him.

Such a great game to watch again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s a big positive seeing Petruccelle back himself and kick a goal after his run down the wing. It’ll be huge for his confidence, players like him need to be a bit selfish around goal. It’s also encouraging to see him do it late in the last quarter, at which stage most young players are completely gassed.

I’t would have great to see Petrucelle in the play where he took on Kennedy (GWS) and ran to the 50 metre arc and kicked to the Darling visinity , well , I was hoping he would have sold a dummy to the defender at the 50 and ran in and nailed a goal ..

Can't imagine Phil thought much of the trip over. 2 reasonably harsh free kicks against for goals and dirty great poke in the eye for his troubles.
You'd be surprised then. I honestly wasn't sure about the poke in the eye in Saturday night. Then the video was posted on the AFL website in the MRP preview and I realized it was just an accident, s**t happens thing.

Was so much fun this game, beautiful day beautiful vibes, missed seeing rick back flipping in with the flag as the queues to get in were a bit longer than i remember... heard it though and saw some flapping ropes lol. Saw aussie nearly eat the small child haha! Very cool. Was sad willie wasnt playing but so much good going on despite him, was so great seeing the boys out there playing like champions and getting the win !

Love Jettas passes, gov the ball vortex just standing there and the ball comes straight to him over and over, love barrass , hickey very impressive, cole & duggo and hurn all great, shep got better as game went on... LOVE oscar and petchs run was something to behold, lots of fun cheering him on! Great to have jk back and darling ninja flipping & kicking goals, sheeds casual kicks and step arounds really did make it look like times slowed down for him, good to see

The side by side thing at the end was very cool , big respect to gws!❤

Cant wait to have gaffy back next week!

Only negative apart from not seeing the flag bit at the start , was i think i had hungry tiger sitting a few rows back in 522🙄 lots of shouting at masten 🙄

i think i had hungry tiger sitting a few rows back in 522🙄 lots of shouting at masten 🙄
Have to love crowd interactions. One lady behind me kept yelling “Kick it forwards, not sideways!”

I mentioned to her that we’d won a flag by maintaining possession through this tactic, but she just called me an idiot and went back to yelling.

Have to love crowd interactions. One lady behind me kept yelling “Kick it forwards, not sideways!”

I mentioned to her that we’d won a flag by maintaining possession through this tactic, but she just called me an idiot and went back to yelling.

Final few minutes of the game, we chip possession around for about three minutes then surge forward and Darling goals. A textbook, almost perfect sequence of the Simpson game plan that won us a flag.

Watch it back and listen to the increasing groans and smattering of boos by the fossils who get riled up when we kick backwards.

Why can’t they just kick it long, wear short shorts and have cigarettes at halftime like they used to?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back