Review Positives and Negatives vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Mature, well fought performance. Withstood an uncomfortable challenge after half time then closed the door. Up the bloody Coasters.

+ Oscar Allen. Imagine your team not having him on the list.
+ Petch. Goods as advertised. I’m a convert, he absolutely showed me.
+ Hickey responded in terrific fashion after a tough first start.
+ Shep, Barrass, Gov, Hurn. We’re back in business.
+ JK got the opportunity to get some rust out.
+ Darling didn’t impose himself for four quarters but still found four goals.
+ Shuey lifted a gear when we needed.
+ SheedFootCandy.gif
+ The new kickout rule is almost unfairly suited to us.
+ I was the only one on the podcast who had any faith. Sucked in Keys, Miguel Sanchez.

- Early game plan was frustrating as all hell. Had no avenue forward once we won the footy. Shades of mid 2018. We fixed it then and we seemed to have fixed it today.
- The over didn’t get up so my bet lost.
- Still shades of last week’s fumbles, though we seemed to adjust as the game went on.

Big one next week.

Are you sure Gaff is back next week? According to Pav he still has another game to serve :D
Strong win! Still rusty at times, but the effort was strong. I know the Giants were missing a few handy players and that is to be factored in, but to win in such a manner was good. A lot of players found some form. It starts from here now!

Are you sure Gaff is back next week? According to Pav he still has another game to serve :D
Strong win! Still rusty at times, but the effort was strong. I know the Giants were missing a few handy players and that is to be factored in, but to win in such a manner was good. A lot of players found some form. It starts from here now!
Did he actually say that? He's like a real journalist - doesn't fact check 😛

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Loved Petch’s goal, but loved him using his pace to defend as well. It’s pleasing to see his fitness improve so much in a year.. can’t wait to see him with another couple of preseasons under his belt.

Good win, held up under immense pressure from the giants, especially early, we just kept rebounding time after time. Although I doubt we would be happy to concede 62 i50’s

Lots to work on though, which is good. I think watching the first couple of rounds how evident those extra couple of weeks at the end of the year makes a big difference to the preseason. Especially for the guys that had surgery. It’s going to be a little while before they are close to 100%.

Being on the pies!

Whenever someone sooks about us overlooking Kelly in 2017 remind them that

1) We took Oallen (just turned 20) with our pick beforehand and
2) Our recruiters who are very very good at identifying talls rated Brander even higher

Did he actually say that? He's like a real journalist - doesn't fact check 😛

Haha! I probably am wrong, but he did start to say that and then someone (Gerard) had to correct him. Wasn’t a good night for Pav. Not sure why he is feeling down, his team will be 2-0 after tomorrow and likely to be undefeated coming into the derby. They’re “back” you know 😛

+ Professional footy. I love when we're clinical. That late chain of possession ending with a goal, mwa - perfection. It was Globetrotters v Generals. Made possible by hard running, good decision making and footskills. That's running the clock down.

+ Backline - anyone else worry on last week, that McGovern might be caught out by the 6-6-6? Only to go, nah he'll be fine. And of f**cking course, he's more than fine. Shep and Barrass, should be on AA watch this year.

+ Performing well in milestone games. Hurn is unreal, will deservedly be our first 300 gamer. Masten much better, as always a mixture of good and bad, but more good I thought. Kennedy rusty but could still have had a bag, gives our forward line so much confidence and structure.

+ I think Jetta is becoming a much more complete back. Gives good body on body contact without giving away a free, keeps his feet and takes on millimetre kicks. He gave away a professional free kick late on the wing. That for me was a sign that he's dialled in to the team defence. As HB noted above, having both Hurn and Jetta playing 'quarterback' is such a luxury.

+ Shuey running into forward 50, shooting on goal. It's so pure. Reminds me of Cousins or Embley at his best.

+ Sheed's maturity. Knows how good he can be now. Using his smarts to get more space, delivering the ball brilliantly.

+ Plenty of others. I thought GWS was very magnanimous in defeat. Great support for Ryan.

- I don't love these slow starts. It seems we weather the initial onslaught, then slow the game down and methodically punch back. But hey it seems to be working for us, so maybe that's just our brand (yuck, I need another word but I'm blanking, open to suggestions).

Great steel in this group.

- Our draw coming up. No gimmes anymore. A win next week would be huge.

+Oscar Allen is a ******* gun. But I already knew that.
+Watson did everything he could.
+Kennedy was massively important to team structure but we didn't rely on him kicking a bag.

-The umpiring. Just seemed to miss obvious ones for both teams but then pay ones that weren't there.
-We seem to lose structure and purpose in the second quarter. Lucky the Giants didn't make more of it.

Hickey went from near worst on ground last week to near best on. That pleasently surprised me.

Also either we're really fit or the Giants are unfit. The longer a quarter went on, the better we became... Then by the end of the game, we had them by the balls.

Wait wait what new verse
Watch the video, I'd have to listen a few times to note the lyrics but perhaps a player inspired New intro before "we're the Eagles"

I hear something like
We are the West
We are the west
We are the west coast Eagles

Born in pride
Across the nation, something isolation
A pile of s**t?
West coast
:p I dunno.

Edit, ok it says "our colours share" not a pile of s**t, which of course it obviously wouldn't say but I couldn't get it.

Last edited:

2) Our recruiters who are very very good at identifying talls rated Brander even higher

Our key position stocks are almost unfair at times. As long as we execute our game plan (high kicking, high marking, give the talls the ball) we will be unbeatable. This club is great.

+
great to get the win and 4 pts
Hickey looked pretty good and competed strongly
Allen plays tall with those telescopic arms very exciting
Petch my guy with the wheels great run and goal ..
Barrass was outstanding and led a stingy defencive unit ...
Shuey.Sheed and Hutchy were the pick of the mids ..
We back with a solid team effort ...

--
early play was a little fumbly with some careless errors

Simmo in his presser today said he expects Brander will be an “elite runner”. That draft class is going to be one to build a team around very shortly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back