Preview Changes: R6 2019 vs St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Only change should be Gallucci for Milera.

They may look at our defensive structure, but I imagine continuity will win out.

This is a very tough assignment, but we can win playing to our strengths.

If we are going to play a slower, but bigger bulldozing style midfield, then reduce it to a tight contested game.

They’re are a young side and the wall of bigger bodies may wear them down. We give them time and space they will slice us up.

Geary a big out for them.

I heard it on Whately. What a crap show by the way. I think he should have just answered the question like 99% of afl footballers would by saying "my form has been poor. When my form picks up hopefully I am selected." His entitlement goes to the cores problems at afc. There is a group of them who believe they will never be dropped and think they run the show down there. Pyke and especially Campo have fostered this culture. Some have got their nose out of joint due to Pyke trying to change the culture to how all successful clubs operate. Accountability. He knows if he doesn't he may be out of a job by years end. Match comittee have caused the problems down there but lack of accountability stems from the board down.
I actually think we have taken a MASSIVE step forward this last few weeks. Dropping Gibbs and then JJ needed to happen but before Jacobs and Douglas were injured you had to expect their names would be coming up at any moment too.

We are a club that has had a remarkable about of consistency in our playing group in the recent past, but the writing it on the wall that the ceiling of players like JJ, Kelly, Hartigan, Knight, Walker, Gibbs Lynch and DMAC have been reached. And past stars like Jacobs, Douglas, Otten and Betts are seemingly in decline.

We still need these players to perform on a weekly basis, but we also have to stop expecting to get better as a team by only playing them! Axing these guys regularly and giving long block of games too the next generation is the only way forward now. And although we've been glacially slow at it, its seems like the first axing's have finally started!

The changes this week will be limited, it’s either Jones or Gallucci in for Milera.

Discussing more is just a waste of time.

I’d go Gallucci and give Jones a couple of games playing midfield in the SANFL, that’s where we need him to play.

totally agree bring in galluci for milera he should be so far infront of jones with his development, I would also like to see fog developed more though

Jenkins already sulked and leaked his demotion to SEN.

Imagine if this continues and trade speculation heats up. SEN will be all over it. Watch it happen.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app
If somehow we could jag a second rounder I’d be doing high fives with myself but I doubt it.

We need to rejuvenate our forward line and see what Himmelberg and Fog can offer.

Plus you can’t have attitudes like Jenkins at the club and not with his length of contract.

totally agree bring in galluci for milera he should be so far infront of jones with his development, I would also like to see fog developed more though

Fog had a good second half against South, if we are going to persist with him in defence another game or two like that he should replace Hartigan.

Three of their 4 wins have been under kick. They could have easily lost them all. Their position on the ladder doesnt represent their form. We were in winning positions against both Geelong and Hawthorn before capitulating. I think we we will win this week and against Freo the following week. I expect Port to beat North this week and lose to Colongwood the following week.

That would make us 4 wins and 3 losses and Port 4 wins and 3 losses heading into the SHowdown
Are we going undefeated the rest of the season? I might hit sports bet.:)

Last edited:
Fog had a good second half against South, if we are going to persist with him in defence another game or two like that he should replace Hartigan.

Not really too fused who he replaces whether it be harto tex lynch even betts, its about building a list for a shot at the flag those players wont be there for that flag opportunity

If somehow we could jag a second rounder I’d be doing high fives with myself but I doubt it.

We need to rejuvenate our forward line and see what Himmelberg and Fog can offer.

Plus you can’t have attitudes like Jenkins at the club and not with his length of contract.
mark it down - if we were to look to move Jenkins on, I think GWS or Sydney will be all over it and for a 2nd rounder a deal could easily happen.

So of the potential inclusions this week

Stengle - would have been automatic but Murphy stepped up so I doubt he will get a nod this week. Shame as he and Betts would create a lot of concerns. Only possible inclusion is if Murphy shifts back or Murphy takes Knight's role.

Davis - he is the likely Lynch or Knight replacement. Even though Lynch was poor I don't think he is banging the door down enough.

FOG - unlikely to come in for Lynch (even though his crash and bang up at HF and through the centre would be ideal) and hasn't screamed pick me in defence to dislodge Kelly or Hartigan

Jones - I would leave him out and take Gooch over him. Gooch can go through the centre and at HF.

Gooch - see above

Wilson - I love his leg and accumulation but it's hard to see him come in right now. He is an ideal wing option or HF. Would he be good replacement for Knight??

Poholke - runs through centre well and up forward allowing Knight to HB or wing as Mikera replacement

Sholl - ideal replacement for Milera. Good HB and wing option with great leg

Likely change
Milera for Poholke.

My preferred
Milera for Sholl
Poholke for Knight

For what its worth, I thought Lynch was absolutely woeful on the weekend, however I would give him another game without JJ to get himself right. If he's still horrible next week, then i'll concede on him!
The problem with Lynch is he is a disaster defensively and is very slow (despite elite endurance) plus is poor-average overhead.

So he needs to get 20+ highly effective touches to make his shortcomings worth it (like M Crouch needs 30+ constructive possessions to make up for his negatives).

Right now Lynch is miles off. Even if his offensive output improves I still worry about the balance of a forward line with too many defensive passengers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem with Lynch is he is a disaster defensively and is very slow (despite elite endurance) plus is poor-average overhead.

So he needs to get 20+ highly effective touches to make his shortcomings worth it (like M Crouch needs 30+ constructive possessions to make up for his negatives).

Right now Lynch is miles off. Even if his offensive output improves I still worry about the balance of a forward line with too many defensive passengers.
I actually think with JJ out the forward line it gives us the freedom to play Tex deeper, and to make Lynch a far more effective lead up CHF. Play Berg as the stay at home forward pocket who can high point the ball in the square/ take secondary leads to the opposite space of Tex.

At the end of the day Lynch is a high end player, but his space is also being cramped by Tex and now defensive forwards Knight/Murphy/Jones. I think this change will see him find that space he needs to play his best footy again and he will come good! And I still think we play out best footy when Lynch is playing his role to that level!

Fogarty for milera is a straight swap. Been playing the same role in the magoos. Will make those small forwards think twice. They're no issue anyway, if our mids win the contested ball, them smalls useless. Smith and laird will run amok on the back of our big defenders having it easy.

Lynch does more than get ball. He plays an intelligent style of game, with a cLear role from the coach. Who will do that?

Gibbs shouldn't of played against the sun's,
Should be dropped, a 250 gamer known for good skills and cUrrently half the aflw premiership side used the ball better than he.

If I was Don I’d be spewing if a senior player was speaking out about selection so blatantly in the media.

First off he tried to build his case to stay in the team.

Then he’s outlined they had a disagreement and he’s again building his case for selection through the media, even though he played like s**t.

Keep the big head in sanfl and let him rot.

Makes you wonder why the coaches are so keen themselves to mention how keen they are to get these guys back in. I'd say it's not a JJ problem, it's a cultural problem. Thommo did it a bit during 2018 as soon as he started to play ok in the 2s. In 2017 it was contract extension by media. There's definitely an entitlement issue among some senior players at the club. I'd have stamped his card after his effort against the Roos and if it's not stamped by now, then the coaches are contributing to the issue.

Whilst on that, I reckon this is the manifestation of selecting players for other reasons other than actual performance, "non-statistical roles", "running patterns", "experience", "continuity". Game day performance is all that should matter, but at our club that hasn't been the case for quiet a while.

Fogarty for milera is a straight swap. Been playing the same role in the magoos. Will make those small forwards think twice. They're no issue anyway, if our mids win the contested ball, them smalls useless. Smith and laird will run amok on the back of our big defenders having it easy.

Lynch does more than get ball. He plays an intelligent style of game, with a cLear role from the coach. Who will do that?

Should be dropped, a 250 gamer known for good skills and cUrrently half the aflw premiership side used the ball better than he.
Team was already one of the slowest in the league and we have lost Seedsman and now Milera. Jones is more of a straight swap for Milera. Can play on the wing. Would bring Fog in for Hartigan who has been awful. Would bring Sholl in for Kelly to see what the lad can do. Would bring Gallucci in for either Knight or Murphy. Need some speed in our team. Fog can swing up forward when Berg in ruck.

Remember this gem? "Keeping his opponent boundary side"?

:drunk::drunk::drunk:
Sure do!

Neil Craig: To be honest I’m sick of doing press conferences. Every second question is why isn’t Taylor Walker playing, and the rest of them are asking whether he’ll go to GWS. I’ve had enough.

David Burtenshaw: How is Walker going anyway? I saw he got dropped again?

Neil Craig: He’s still letting his man get boundary side.

Phil Harper: I thought he was meant to keep his man boundary side?

Neil Craig: What did I say…? I can’t remember which one it is actually. Whatever it is he’s not doing it.

Luke Jericho >> Taylor Walker.... Only at the Crows :p

gotta laugh, or you'd go crazy following this team

Playing the same role? Are you on drugs? Actually no need to answer

For what its worth, I thought Lynch was absolutely woeful on the weekend, however I would give him another game without JJ to get himself right. If he's still horrible next week, then i'll concede on him!

Personally I think if we are too drop a player its Hartigan or Kelly. We do not need both of them in the same lineup! I tend to think Hartigan is the one who stays because it free's up Keath to play as the interceptor (which he is going brilliantly at), so for me drop Kelly, especially now it looks like we are going to keep Gibbs back there!

OUT: Milera (INJ), Kelly
IN: Gooch, Jones

Don't understand this board's hate for Lynch atm. It reeks of knee jerk reaction. He was bad in the first half, very bad. Was much improved in the second half, to the point where I think he had a "good" game all up.

Yes he hasn't started the year on fire, but no one in our forward line has. He's a lead up forward who's received crap supply for the first 4 and a half games, while also burning the ball more than usual, the EXACT same as what the other 21 blokes standing alongside him have been doing. Form is temporary and class is permanent. Years of elite form and numbers vs a handful of crummy games amongst a team that's also performing well below par, back the guy in ffs.

Also RE Knight, his running numbers are off the chart compared to any other crow. He is constantly top in almost all running stats for all 44 blokes, let alone just our 22 blokes. Started the season off well and has regressed somewhat, but he's playing a role and plugging holes. Definitely stays for me until he becomes a liability, which he is currently nowhere near being (imo).

Gooch > Milera

Considering the Saints have all of Long, Lonie, Gresham, Billings, Kent and Parker, it would be nice to us match-up to nullify an opposition's strength, just once......
Hartigan > Sholl OR Murphy goes back as a small defender (I dont know why we refuse to u se him here given it's a position he excelled in and our depth is extremely dire at the moment) and Stengle in.

Three of their 4 wins have been under kick. They could have easily lost them all. Their position on the ladder doesnt represent their form. We were in winning positions against both Geelong and Hawthorn before capitulating. I think we we will win this week and against Freo the following week. I expect Port to beat North this week and lose to Colongwood the following week.

That would make us 4 wins and 3 losses and Port 4 wins and 3 losses heading into the SHowdown
2 of our first four actually, not 3. And Essendon only got so close after a couple of late goals when the game was cooked.

We also went over to Perth and had 5 more scoring shots than Freo in our only loss who are one of the form sides of the comp.

We could quite easily be undefeated.

Don't think we are getting ahead of ourselves. We think we are a good chance of winning this week if we play well, likewise your club would think the same.

On form it should be a tight game.

Playing the same role? Are you on drugs? Actually no need to answer

I agree bring Fog in its called development, play murphy in mileras role give him a run through the guts develop him at the same time or even laird in mileras role, see what they are capable of

You seriously don't think we are premiership contenders do you?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back