Review Geelong Defeats Hawks by 23 points at MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Supposedly Geelong supporters were also booing Ablett according to bloody Jeff.
Yet, most people I’ve spoken to didn’t hear even a peep of a boo 🙄🙄🙄

Kennett was squawking about The Curse all weekend. Just loves the sound of his own voice + is attention seeking because he’s become irrelevant.

You know, empty vessels. . .

Going on another stat rant here so yeah sorry.
For those who look up the stats, what exactly do you get out of them?
Guthrie apparently had 54% efficiency.
That means he was directly turning it over half the time he had the ball. Did anyone see that? It just didn't happen.
Why bother? They're good for umpires to look up after the game to do their Brownlow votes and that's all.
Lol did see that. He had the second worst DE of our team.

That means he was directly turning it over half the time he had the ball. Did anyone see that? It just didn't happen.
That's not quite true. People understand "effective disposal" as being "not a turnover/clanger" but that's not quite it.

• Effective handballs hit the target, for whatever definition we have of "hit"
  • Kicks of >40m which hit a 50/50 contest or better are effective
  • Kicks of <40m which result in the intended target taking possession are effective.
So, a 35m under-pressure hack out of a centre clearance to a 50/50 contest could be statistically ineffective, while still being a good kick.

Stoppage clearances... he had 3 (2 were handball receives)

If you get a handball receive out of a clearance situation, then the clearance is automatically credited to the person who gave you the handball, not you.

That's not quite true. People understand "effective disposal" as being "not a turnover/clanger" but that's not quite it.

• Kicks of <40m which result in the intended target taking possession are effective.
So, a 35m under-pressure hack out of a centre clearance to a 50/50 contest could be statistically ineffective, while still being a good kick.

If you get a handball receive out of a clearance situation, then the clearance is automatically credited to the person who gave you the handball, not you.
Stats arent always accurate... as reflected in my Suoer Coach team

I love Esava but I'm sorry but he needs a run in the VFL... Come on to be honest he isn't what he is before that injury.... I'm not bagging him but he needs a run in the 2s to find some form...
Bring in Fort or Buzza or even Abbott and play Stanley CHF..
Why on earth would u take Stanley out of Ruck no 1 where he is playing well, to a spot he has failed at many times

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk

One thing is for rebound 50's, we have Stewart leading with 48, then the next highest are a couple on 18 if I remember correctly. Clark is doing okay in that respect for a youngster - might even be best of the rest right now. However Touhy will still give us more drive from back there. Not quite in the sense of running, bouncing, speed balling it out of there - but another good ball user back there who gets more than 10 touches a game will be handy to complement the rest. I also think while it isn't exactly a strength of Touhy's, he's still more solid defensively at this stage and will help reduce the amount of crumbing goals getting kicked against us from spills.

I do like Clark, but there's no huge rush to make him play the vast majority of games this season. 10-12 would still be a great first up year in my opinion.

You had to tolerate Dermie's ceaseless 'If I was the Haw coach" BS and "no high balls, they're much better at the dirty ball (ground ball) working for them." Yeah, perfect world, Dermie you gobshite. Touhey adds everything you said, plus that old head canniness and vision. Sometimes it's just as simple as staying down to cover those spills strongly and opportunists like Poo when the big men fly. I do love Clark's mighty roosts, being at the game gave me extra appreciation of the distance such a young kid can get. Touhy-like in that respect.

Yeah I thought that's sort of how it would work.
Weird thing is I can only remember him missing one handball to Gaz for the whole day.
I remember most of his kicks either hitting the target or us getting it.
Maybe I'm wrong though. But to me it seemed really low.

No idea ATSAM. I’m from NSW, so only know Kennett from AFL, not politics. He’s a politician first, with an agenda. Can’t hack losing, so stirs up irrelevant crap to create a storm in a tea cup.

Kitty they go to him for Hawthorn related sound bites, but also because of his connection to Beyond Blue. Which is ironic really, given his treatment of Adam Goodes (as pointed out in an AFL article today.) He is such a one eyed pig. It's the oldest psychological trick in the book, deflecting the blame elsewhere. Mansplaining Jeff. I noticed HAWTHORN fans didn't start booing him until after his first goal, threatened as they were. On the Folau thing, Ablett was quick to withdraw it as an error of judgement and we've all seen his explanatory Easter tweet. My point is, why are they booing him for his opinion anyway? Despite the result of the recent referendum (which tells you in the first place that people were divided on that issue) he is fully entitled to his opinion and beliefs. As were Tony Abbott et al. Mistaken beliefs in my opinion, but free to express their dissent. Folau just went in too hard, and took Gaz down with him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going on another stat rant here so yeah sorry.
Why bother? They're good for umpires to look up after the game to do their Brownlow votes and that's all.

Yeah that's just a misunderstanding of effective disposals. Guthrie had 0 clangers so no shocking errors and only 3 turnovers which was less than almost any other midfielder. So by that measure his disposal was very good. But the efficiency looks very bad. It's just a measure of what inefficiency tells. Basically Guthrie had a lot of possessions that went to 50-50 contests which makes sense because he had quite a few rushed possessions under pressure where that's not a bad result.

Kolo takes another scalp with Wingard. O’Connor’s best game for the club.

McEvoy did all he could to win it for them, we did well to stem the flow after the first quarter (take out Rohan’s 2 in a minute and we were getting monstered).

Rhys 2 quick goals only reason he wasn’t our worst by comparison.

We’re we fortunate that Parfitt got injured? Selwood went absolutely berserk absorbing the kids midfield time.

I was expecting a bit more from us, considering their outs. Although if you fix the disgraceful free kicks in the last we win by a couple goals more.

I'm one of his critics. He was allright, hardly say great but first game back.
54% actually seems a bit low to me but it's a bullshit stat anyway.
For a 26 yo? automatic best 22 player. Meh. Probably would rather Constable.
For a depth player earning his spot, yeah pretty good.

Constable back in this week for Parfitt (2-4?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

With his form we might die wondering again, we threw Mumford away as well as Hamling.
Thought Ryan had interest from other clubs before he was resigned?

Check your facts.
Mummy went because he was offered 400k and because of the cap we couldn’t match regardless if we wanted to keep him or not.

We couldn’t offload Blake as he was contracted, again even if we wanted to.
Amazes me how people still think we just got rid of Mummy.
We nurtured a fat kid and he improved out of sight, we couldn’t offer what he wanted whether deserved or not

Don’t forget massive bouquet to Chris scott who is in charge of the overall plan. Enright and Scarlett just implement what he puts in place.
They are rogue operators running their areas counter to CS’s plans. All credit goes to them, until we fail. Then all failures are CS’s responsibility.

I sort of agree with this, I don’t think it was a great performance. We lacked a killer instinct every time we had our foot on their throat. It was professional, but not impressive.

There were some great individual highlights to enjoy which made it a good day out nonetheless.
That will build over time as the team becomes confident in the brand that they are playing. Right now, their focus is executing their roles. Sooner or later this will become instinctive and they will punish opponents by anticipating their teammates better and therefore reacting faster. This in turn will make the team more fluid and dynamic, which will look like a real killer instinct in some matches.

These grinding matches build character. They need quite a few of these to see each other’s mettle and develop trust - especially when the chips are down.

No longer are they just looking for Selwood, Hawkins, Ablett or Danger in the hard moments of a game. Now they are confident that Rohan will mark it, or Kelly will clear it, or Dahlhaus will rove a pack or, O’Connor will cause a turnover, or Clark will clear the area with an effective kick, or Myers will bust his arse to run up and down the ground to take marks and then hit up targets.

This means that our top line players aren’t tired or overused. They are in the right spots to be more effective or have moved away from certain spots, taking dangerous opponents away with them.

Guthrie was ok yesterday, stuck some good tackles but efficiency was low @54% and he's still not able to impact stoppages enough as a midfielder.

Usually an effective disposal is due to the next possession being uncontested.

An example - Hawks in their heyday were a high kicking efficiency team that ended up like this due to kicking to free players and taking up field position. They were an uncontested play-style team.

Geelong at the moment are a contested team and back their players to win contests.

Therefore, sometimes efficiency is a measure that needs to be examined carefully and case by case for each possession.

When you kick to a contest and for whatever reason that contest is lost, then the original players pass is considered inefficient.

As an example, quite a few midfielders would have had ineffective possessions due to passes to a forward - who failed to mark the ball due to defenders being all over them - however created a contest and the ball subsequently ended up in our forward line through opposition possession, fumbles, tackles, spoils or 1% for a reset of play. Overall, it was ineffective for the original player, yet effective for the team in terms of field position.

As a slight aside, there was a moment in the game where Selwood kicked it straight to the opposition while streaming into our 50. The commentators immediately noted that he expected his forwards to a different spot than they did (he probably expected them to move as per their training drills, but they just didn’t for whatever reason).

A poor kick or handpass that is a turnover is obviously an inefficient disposal, however sometimes it is simply not the original passers fault that it was a turnover.

Last edited:
We’re we fortunate that Parfitt got injured? Selwood went absolutely berserk absorbing the kids midfield time.

I feel that because he has been staying out of the midfield, opposition players have lost their feel for how he plays.

They get used to a Parfitt or Constable and start to feel their rhythm and compensate for this, and suddenly Selwood swaps in and is so much more physical and harder and cleaner.

Opposition mids would suddenly have to readjust to this and by then it’s too late, he’s already racked up 5 effective possessions and 3 inside 50s.

A boxing analogy is sparring with someone wearing a 16oz glove and getting used to the pillowy glove being flicked at you and suddenly in between rounds they swap to an 8oz glove and bang you wear one in the face and are looking up at the ceiling thinking “what just happened”?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back