Preview Round 7, 2019: Melbourne v Hawthorn, 4 May 2019, 1.45pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're putting a bloke who is top 10 in Stoppage and Centre Clearances in the same sentence as Lewis and Cousins? Cough.

Regardless, every team is a bottom 8 side if their best players don't fire. That's like saying "unless we dump some water on this rock it's going to be dry". If we can eek out wins early season, I'd rather our best players be firing after the bye rather than now.

Worpel is second year in and still developing. Let him be the cream on the cake rather than us relying on him to be the mixture is the point I was making.

Brand gets 4 games regardless of form IMO. Whilst Chip is out, he gets this time to prove he has what it takes. So lets assume he stays in. TOB im not a believer, but if he has deserved another game, then give him one.

Bottom line is that the dees look slower than us currently. Our marking defence will dominate their long bombs. BB needs to match Gawn. If Smith is injured, get him out, we need to run them off the park on the outside. We got the need, the need for speed....

If I see Petracca running around and kicking soft goals and pointing to the crowd I am going to spew.

Foot on the throat Clarko and Co.

Clinical and ruthless and finish them off like they did to us last season.

There is a reason the waiting list is 18 years for the MCC . One of the best sporting memberships in the world!!!!
Live in New York, MCC member and can categorically say the membership is garbage. Only Melburnians wear it as some douchey badge of honour

You're putting a bloke who is top 10 in Stoppage and Centre Clearances in the same sentence as Lewis and Cousins? Cough.

Regardless, every team is a bottom 8 side if their best players don't fire. That's like saying "unless we dump some water on this rock it's going to be dry". If we can eek out wins early season, I'd rather our best players be firing after the bye rather than now.

He did miss Worpel&Mcevoy but don't hang him, he is spot on.
Richmond , Geelong have both won games with there stars not firing there system is spot on atm.
We could win games with Hodge,Mitchell, cyril out of our side in 2015-18 our system was spot on.
I think our game plan is not using our strengths to advantage atm or we are poor at execute it thoughts ?

Worpel is second year in and still developing. Let him be the cream on the cake rather than us relying on him to be the mixture is the point I was making.

I think that Worpel would want us to believe he's the mixture based off his performances.

He did miss Worpel&Mcevoy but don't hang him, he is spot on.
Richmond , Geelong have both won games with there stars not firing there system is spot on atm.
We could win games with Hodge,Mitchell, cyril out of our side in 2015-18 our system was spot on.
I think our game plan is not using our strengths to advantage atm or we are poor at execute it thoughts ?

Richmond are the best example of a team firing despite injuries, and like you said it's really based on system. They haven't had a huge amount of turn over in their squad so they haven't had to rejig much.

It's execution that is holding us back at the moment, and the need for our group to develop that trust in each other.

Why would it be any good if you live in NY?

If you live in Melb and can walk into any final and GF that’s just fine for me.
It's pretty useless over here...I have an international membership but obvs never use it. But I don't miss the MCC. Give me a membership to the Yankees or Giants any day over MCC

Fb Stratts Brand Hardwick
Hb Silk Sicily Impey
C Scully Howe Shiels
Hf Hendo Roughy Smith

Ff Wingard Gunston Breust
R Mcevoy Omerea Worpel

Halfback, Half Forwards and Wingers
Silk,Scully,Hendo,Impey,Shiels,Smith there not many line ups in the comp that will compete with that running power and ability use them together!
Let them link up run! take the game on! the mcg wings are huge they should be burning teams and spot up the short targets moving forward.

Forward line- we have been bombing the ball since 2016 to no real success.
Use Roughy as your C.H.F have Hendo and Smith using there running power to burn there man on the way back, 2way running.

Full forwards have your 3 most dangerous players DEEP!
Have seperation from your half forward line. All leading and presenting!
You change obviously adjust this to 2 or 1 depends on matchup.
Yes I want Sicily at full forward but if you wanna coach like negative nancys this is the next best option.
I am frustrated because that lineup is still good enough for finals.

Last edited:
With Burgoyne back we're getting back to full strength.
Cannot not understate what Shiels brings to this team. He was massive on the weekend.

Pretty excited about this week. It's the first time we'll have Scully, Wingard, Burgoyne and Shiels all playing together, with the former two getting back to full fitness, in addition to Howe who also adds another dimension with his defence attributes in the centre square.

It's a significant lift in personnel and we won't be leaving the heavy lifting to just a few. I think we'll start to see the dynamic running power of Smith, Henderson and Scully in full flight this weekend.

Should be able to leave Gunston forward and create huge headaches for a leaky Melbourne defence.

Bring it Hawks, this season really gets cracking this week if we can steam roll this mob, which we should.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clarko said the second half was “soul searching” from the senior players.

Wonder how much of a bake they got at HT....

The game plan and structure is all there - it’s application and polish from the younger players

Still - a review to show where both falter can make the bake at HT linger.
Both O'Meara and Worpel referred to the half-time rev up in their post-match interviews. Worpel said he could not repeat what Clarko said.

Would have loved to be a fly on the wall in the half-time rooms.

IN: Burgoyne

OUT: Cousins (injured)

B: Stratton, Brand, Hardwick

HB: Sicily, O'Brien, Impey

C: Henderson, Shiels, Smith

HF: Burgoyne, Gunston, Wingard

F: Breust, Roughead, Puopolo

R: McEvoy, O'Meara, Worpel

INT: Scrimshaw, Lewis, Scully, Howe

you made a mistake, you have Brand still in the list !

In: Burgers
Out: Brand

Both O'Meara and Worpel referred to the half-time rev up in their post-match interviews. Worpel said he could not repeat what Clarko said.

Would have loved to be a fly on the wall in the half-time rooms.

Did you see the smile on Jaegers face when our media girl asked “what did Clarko say at half time to get us back in the game”.

We got the wake up call we needed at HT yesterday.

Hopefully our best side for the year turns up and continues where they left off in that second half yesterday.

The Forward line was starting to gel for the first time this year in that second half and no better time for Chad to have his breakout game than this week against a struggling Dees and a depleted backline without Jetta.

A must win and i think we'll do it!

Small forwards are feasting on the dees. Castagna, Kent, McDonald-Tipungwuti and Stringer have all kicked 3 or more against them in the last month. Heck, even Kieran Jack kicked a couple of snags in their game v Sydney.
If we are fair dinkum then Breust and Wingard will continue their strong form of the second half against the Blues and kick a minimum of 6 between them. They'll probably be overshadowed by TOB breaking Fred Fanning's record though :)

This. They belted our mids up early.

I was in the MCC all night and will never forget this. It felt like an interstate game. It was their GF and i copped it all night. Nearly got into a blue.

And I'll be heading back there with my son this week for revenge.

Absolutely no mercy here.

They're on their knees and we must finish them.

tenor.gif
Sweep the leg!

I have been to MCC twice and both times near on had a blue, for simply telling an oppo player to piss off with a wee bit of a vigour I was warned... I left both times before half time, horrid watching the footy there.
Disagree. Each to their own though I guess.

But god damn, just how vocal are you! To get warned in the MCC you need to be acting like a proper campaigner, ive never seen it happen in the 19 years ive been a member.

I would be furious if took a mate in as a guest and he acted out so badly that he got warned, not once, but TWICE, putting my own membership in jeopardy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back