Positives & Negatives vs Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll take them even if they come like that. We're grinding away playing at a fraction of our best. The cavalry is coming.

As for tonight:

+ Didn't lose by 10 goals
+ Umps gave us a good run
+ Venables getting involved. Was gassed in the 1st qtr so fought out the game pretty well.

- Sheed bombing away without looking too mamy times to count
- Allen's contested marking has left him. Kept running under the ball.

This was the biggest one, literally every kick is just a rushed up and under bomb to noone in particular. Can't believe people are giving him 5 votes 🤔

- Two areas I thought we've improved in is midfield and small fwds. Fantastic tonight
- Cripps, Venables and Ryan huge impact
- Yeo, Shuey and Sheed owned midfield
- Kennedys huge mark n goal

negs
- 1.8 in the last quarter
- Kicks back longer than 30m, some went too far back and were under as much pressure

Last edited:
A couple of standout negs for me.
Delivery into forward line sucks.
Slow ball movement moving forward - not advocating long bomb rather move it in much faster then we are doing. Seems like we got carried away with that stat that said 'Eagles always win when they have 90 marks (or whatever it was)" Moving the ball in quickly gets the opposition as nervous as anything. Not doing this enough.

Player Ratings has Venables third best on ground.

I wouldn't have thought that high but his impact per possession was brilliant
Player ratings rate that almost above every other metric. Get involved in scoring chains, use the ball well and don’t miss a set shot and you’ll score well.

It’s quality over quantity. DV tends to score pretty well because he’s a high impact player. We just need to get him fit enough to get him involved more. Which will come in time.

This was the biggest one, literally every kick is just a rushed up and under bomb to noone in particular. Can't believe people are giving him 5 votes 🤔
Yep very frustrating to watch that when he doesn't look up at all to see where to kick, even if it's to space.

His reading the ball off hands at stoppages was first class though and he doesn't fumble the awkward ones that get tapped right near his ears. Very clean hands, good movement through stoppages, just needs to get a little bit smarter about what he's doing with the ball once he has it. At least he's making good contact.

Had a disappointing defensive effort on the wing tonight as well with the opportunity to stick a tackle, decelerated and corralled instead.

Petrol was against quiet other than two goals.
He was quiet tonite but would be satisfied if he maintains/improves on this level as other forwards find form. Napalm Jack has exceeded expectations and is a shining light. Must be leading our goal kicking and on track for 30+.

Two goals from limited disposals is his bottom line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finally saw some class from DV

Effort and ground ball hunt was there

Sloppy errors still - but we are 5/3

Ryan saving a goal down back and tackling like a maniac - great to see he’s not a one trick pony. Also thought his decision making around when to fly and when to stay down was bang on tonight

Female umpire was **** ! Massive negative. When will people realise there is a difference between men and women, and that is a good thing.

Yeah coz the ones with penises are sooo much better 🙄

Whats the difference between men and women got to do with umpiring ability? They have all been pretty much useless all season but lets single out the female for being female 👍🏻👍🏻

+ Midfield looked a lot better.
+ Venables was class. 15 touches was great, lets hope he can build from here
+ Ryan and Cripps
+ Gov defensive work. Wasn't marking it, but the spoils were 1st class
+ JK 2 goals 2 on a bad day. Could have easily been 4 straight but for simple misses. He'll find form eventually.
+ Waterman did ok in what looked like an undefined role. Got a few touches and worked hard.

- Waterman in an undefined role. They're doing a Brander on him.
- We lack run. Almost every play is kick-mark and then bomb it long past half way. Why are there no runners going past the marking players? I think this is the reason behind JD and JK's poor start to the year, the opposition just has too much time to flood the D50 so our talls have a free lead.
- Didn't run away with it. Looked like we broke them when we went 30 points up, but then let them back into the game.

Edit:
+ Female umpire. I have nfi why there aren't more female umpires? Instantly doubles the talent pool and some of the rubbish male umpires will get pushed down to the lower leagues.

+ Midfield looked a lot better.
+ Venables was class. 15 touches was great, lets hope he can build from here
+ Ryan and Cripps
+ Gov defensive work. Wasn't marking it, but the spoils were 1st class
+ JK 2 goals 2 on a bad day. Could have easily been 4 straight but for simple misses. He'll find form eventually.
+ Waterman did ok in what looked like an undefined role. Got a few touches and worked hard.

- Waterman in an undefined role. They're doing a Brander on him.
- We lack run. Almost every play is kick-mark and then bomb it long past half way. Why are there no runners going past the marking players? I think this is the reason behind JD and JK's poor start to the year, the opposition just has too much time to flood the D50 so our talls have a free lead.
- Didn't run away with it. Looked like we broke them when we went 30 points up, but then let them back into the game.

Edit:
+ Female umpire. I have no idea why there aren't more female umpires? Instantly doubles the talent pool and some of the rubbish male umpires will get pushed down to the lower leagues.
I noticed her in the pre-game practicing the centre bounce and getting no air so in the game she just threw it up. Interestingly this is the only real definable skill that a field umpire is ordinarily required to demonstrate.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

We are turning the ball over way to much and getting exposed down the middle. So many open marks to the Saints down the spine and in the forward 50. Barrass out is hurting our backline structure. On top of that Cole is out of form and Schofield is cooked.

I noticed her in the pre-game practicing the centre bounce and getting no air so in the game she just threw it up. Interestingly this is the only real definable skill that a field umpire is ordinarily required to demonstrate.
Actually, all the umpires were throwing it up because they had put a new strip of turf in the centre circle. Typical Marvel turf.

+ What appeared to be a concerted effort to be harder at the contest and to apply more tackling pressure.
+ Flashes of our best footy, if only for brief passages of play.
+ Venables, Cripps and Ryan were all great up forward.
+ Gaff and Sheed looked more comfortable. Sheed was a bit fumbly but he has those games.
+ Vardy and Allen were better. Not great, but passable.

- Letting a percentage boosting win stray into a close game (again).
- Hutchings' kicking was diabolical. He looks totally out of place when he doesn't have a tagging job.
- JK and Darling's output in the first half.
- Cole continuing to struggle.

We are turning the ball over way to much and getting exposed down the middle. So many open marks to the Saints down the spine and in the forward 50. Barrass out is hurting our backline structure. On top of that Cole is out of form and Schofield is cooked.

Agreed. I hope cole is keeping clean and gets back into form asap 🤢

Loved kennedys mark, building into form...

A few of our boys are starting to find form at last, scrappy wins aren't too bad if we keep getting them!

Noticed venables has given away the flashy boots for white ones and suddenly hes playing like a proper footballer! Keep it up DV 💙💛💙💛💙

Form!

One positive that has come to mind just now is Petruccelle.

In particular one bit of play in the 3rd. The ball went forward and it was a running race between Savage and Petruccelle and Savage (rather blatantly) hit it straight towards the boundary line. That tells me that Petruccelle's pace is something that causes concern for opposition teams. Its really rare for 1st year players to have that sort of presence.

Even better is that even with the attention he is getting he is still having an impact. He kicked 2 goals (could of easily been 3) and was a constant scoring threat.

Really happy with how he is progressing. On track for 30+ goals in his first year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back