Tom Boyd retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol, OK.

English tries hard, but he's just not strong or physical enough, and gets a bath every week.

Their mids have been playing from behind for years, due to a lack of a proper effective ruckman.
Not strong or physical enough, but has the same impact that Grundy has even though he had 50 less hit outs.

He's still only young. Will add size in the future.

Don't underestimate the spectre of mental health issues. It has a crippling effect on anyone.

Will always remember his fantastic 2016 Grand Final performance, and although sad he never truly managed to live up to his potential, he helped give generations of old time and long suffering Footscray fans one their greatest and happiest moment of their lives.

Now that is a legacy to be proud of. All the best and happiness in your post footy career Tommy.

The brightest stars burn so fast and strong... they burn for half as long.

Massive no.1 draft pick, gets taken from the New super team franchise and bought for $1m to a club with little success and money and in the midst of massive turmoil as the great white hope to bring us that impossible flag. Plays a Pivatol role in a prelim final against that very super team franchise to get his new mob into a Grand Final, and plays a BOG performance to win one of the most insane Finals stories ever and breaks a 62 year draught to become a premiership player at age 20. retires at 23.

He did it all, and we Bulldogs will never forget and love him forever. Worth every last cent of that million, and he isn't even going to take it all in the end.

Wish you all the best in the future Big Tom, take the world off your shoulders and find love and joy in the simple things.

The Dogs suddenly have at least $1m per year to spend from next year. They’ll be major free agent players. That’s fairly major implications.
Depends on how much of his contract was front ended. If i recall correctly it was weighted to the front but i have no idea of what the breakdown was. Either way there will be more cash to throw around next year.

The other problem is all the team rules. Don't drink, Don't do this, wipe your ass this way. Social media also means every douche with a phone can take a photo of you breaking an arbitrary rule.

Footballers aren't allowed to enjoy footy anymore. Any person who knows anything about pro athletes should understand that a happy team is a winning team!! When someone isn't enjoying their footy it will show in their performance no matyer how talented they are.

No point dwelling on the causes of his mental health issues. Tom and his medical team would have an idea of what's going on, the rest of us don't.

Will go down as one of the most bizarre careers of the age.

#1 draft pick that was touted so highly, commentators were telling clubs to trade half their lists to GWS to get the pick off them.
Traded after one season and just 9 games to the Dogs with a million per year contract.
Consequently subject of scorn and ridicule for much of 2015 and 2016 for his supposed underperformance.
Comes good in a massive way in the Grand Final of 2016, including providing the defining moment and the sealer with his 3rd goal
Almost immediately falls back to pre-GF form. Never kicks 3 in a game again. Never wins a single Brownlow vote.
Retires aged 23.

I'm positive there is not a single Bulldog fan who regrets trading him in.

Hopefully he gets his head in a good space now that he will leave the pressures of AFL life.

Good on him for not just doing through the motions the next two years for a pay cheque.

His Grand Final was unbelievable. The rest of his career was pretty average. But that Grand Final overrides all.

Puts them in the Brodie Grundy game, which fills their most desperate need.
I highly doubt Grundy is gettable. If I was to guess: 95% Collingwood Extension, 5% Adelaide.

We're desperate for KPPs and there was a rumour we're chasing a Carlton tall: We have cap space (even more now) and first rounders to put on the table (we will certainly trade out our 2020 first rounder as we have two NGA kids and a FS to take).

I can't help but think he was massively let down by the football industry and his management/advisors around the move to the bulldogs. Putting that sort of expectation and money on a 19 year old key forward's head was utter madness when you know even gun key forwards normally do almost nothing until their 5th-6th season. Making it as a key forward is tough enough without the pressure of being scrutinized for every average performance when you're on massive coin. I'm glad for him that he's always got the flag and he's made a really strong decision to walk away from the rest of the contract. He'll be better for it and maybe in a couple of years he'll rediscover his love for the game and be back.

Does that mean dogs have a war chest to throw around or do they operate as if they're still paying him?

If as is reported, he is completely off there books as of 2020, open war chest ahoy i would imagine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOL because that wasn't even best GF performance of the past 3 years let alone of all time. It was a fine performance but nowhere near one of the greats.

Well the general consensus here is that it was one of the best Grand Final performances ever so I guess weight of numbers is stacked against you hey?

If as is reported, he is completely off there books as of 2020, open war chest ahoy i would imagine.
We make approaches to Hurley & Wingard so already had a decent amount of cap free.
We did just sign a big deal for Naughton and English will get a huge payday too so I'd expect us to chase one big fish this year and maybe one role player.

Sad news him. But he signed a similar long-term big dollar deal as Franklin where the AFL went to the Swans board for a guarantee it would remain in the cap regardless of what happened. Surely it is the same for the Bulldogs? I hope one of the footy journos at least asks AFL house for clarification.

Sad news him. But he signed a similar long-term big dollar deal as Franklin where the AFL went to the Swans board for a guarantee it would remain in the cap regardless of what happened. Surely it is the same for the Bulldogs? I hope one of the footy journos at least asks AFL house for clarification.

Tom was a trade. Buddy was free agency
totally different

Yes, very. If Buddy decides he is going to retire with a couple of years left on his contract are they going to let the Swans do the same.......Although that post says "pay" rather than "salary cap". Going to set an interesting precedent if the dogs get the cap space.

No it doesn't. You just don't know the rules. Boyd was not a restricted free agent and therefore the Dogs only have to include what they actually pay him in their TPP. Buddy was an RFA signing, so they have to include what they contracted him for whether they pay it or not. Those are the rules. Precedent doesn't come into it.

As to Boyd - good for him. He is a premiership hero and if he believes this is the best thing for him in his life then it's good he's doing it. I don't imagine there are any Bulldog fans who aren't happy with the service he's given them.

What's with all these high draft picked key forwards failing?

Schace, Boyd, Patton, Mccarthy, Mccartin, Weideman ect.

Might as well do what the Hawks did and pick a key forward late in the draft. Mitchell Lewis will be better than everyone mentioned above.
The game is getting harder for KPFs to play with zone/team defences.

The few that buck the trend are ridiculously agile and good at ground level (e.g. Jeremy Cameron, Joe Daniher, and I rate Hipwood too) or near best in comp for contested marks (e.g. Josh Kennedy, with Naughton and McKay showing good early signs).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back