Analysis Beveridge - where to from here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly don’t think any paid up member would be asking for Beveridge to be sacked. Because every paid up member who puts their hard earned into the club knows how special Bevo is to our footy club. As Ash1337 said. If Richmond sacked Dimma after 6 years at the club than he wouldn’t be a premiership coach. And if Buckley was sacked after 6 years, he wouldn’t have taken Collingwood to a grand final.

We are 3 players short of completing our rebuild with another top 10 pick coming in and an abundance of salary cap cash. After we get out of this and back on track I want everyone to remember who it was advocating for Beveridge to be sacked.

There isn’t a coach who’s available out there that will do a better job than Luke can do.

Serious question...how long out of the finals would it take you to change your mind?

Not taking the piss...curious.

I don’t want Bevo gone but the last 3 years have been awful and some of that rests with him. As much as he rightfully gets the credit for 2016 he needs to wear the last few years of sub standard performance.

I think Bevo will be safe for a couple of years yet even if we continue to underperform simply because I don’t think there are any obvious replacements.

The one nation question needs to be asked behind closed doors - no need for us to know - so maybe this is happening

Our job is to make big statements on threads like this - everyone has the right to make comment without being criticized

The fact we have had players walk or pushed out is not helpful

We have a room full of elephants all looking at Bevo

If you're of the mindset that Beveridge should leave then I think this club would be FAR better off without your support.

Piss off with this garbage.

Not in the sack bevo camp but certainly wouldn’t be extending his contract right now. 3rd year in a row with no finals, losing to GC, Carlton and North, what justifies an extension?
Yep. Definitely not in the sack Bev camp however no need to rush a new contract. Is signed till the end of next year

Look at our spine. Look at our age/experience profile. I want to see what Bev does when he finally has a top 5 list for experience. We've been bottom 5 for the entirety of his tenure.

Lol people talking rebuild as an excuse

WE WON A FLAG IN 2016 with a young list

Yeah and look at what's happened to some of those key players.

Tom Boyd, Clay Smith, Shane Biggs, Liam Picken, Matthew Boyd - all retired. And three of those retirees were under what, 25 years of age?

We essentially moved on Roughie, Dahl and Stringer. All of those decisions have well and truly been discussed but the fact is they were also a part of that team and they're gone too. We lost Hamling because of the home factor, money, both, whatever it was we probably couldn't match the appeal.

Morris has missed time with injury. Libba did an ACL and hasn't recovered form with any kind of consistency since. Fletch is a premiership player that briefly played above his pay grade but has returned to his career form since.

You can argue other aspects about us missing finals since and the reasons for it , but the fact is we've lost a chunk of that premiership team and have to rebuild around those that are left. In the process a couple of AFL imposed rule changes (removal of third man up and 6-6-6) have saved the average big man from obscurity - which is what Bevo was trying to accomplish by making his brand an AFL style small ball. Our list is now missing quality talls because we were found out by the sudden prioritisation of KPPs. Drafting English and Naughton and bringing in Schache are signs they recognised that and are trying to fix it, and that's just one way in which we're rebuilding.

Not absolving anyone at the club of guilt, the other reasons are another post entirely. Just pointing out that we've literally lost so many premiership players only a few years removed, some of them being disappointingly young for AFL retirement, that our hand has been forced.

Yep. Definitely not in the sack Bev camp however no need to rush a new contract. Is signed till the end of next year

Like Brad Scott.

Contracts mean little. If we want to keep Bev wouldn't be letting him get into the last year of a contract.

Not sure I agree with Bev on everything but would rather keep him and see what he could with some maturer players, a KPD and some fwds.

I wouldn’t get rid of him, but the whole panel need to lift their game. Pick the talls on our list, Schache, Sweet and Lewis Young. Just play them and give them a few games at it and see how we play with a better structure. Look at North’s talls yesterday, they killed us

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How much of the 2016 success was built before Beverage took over and how much of the current situation is from his decisions?

The intervening years have been full of key players missing for serious injuries, the defence in particular has been slaughtered with players unavailable, key players too meanwhile the draftees to fill those roles haven't come on or the ones that showed a bit but were injured moved on.

An underdeveloped young ruck was given games to build him up at the same time key stoppage midfielders were unavailable. That compounds the issue against a big man ruck and stoppage team, putting the undermanned defence under pressure.

He has until end of next year on his contract?

Let Bevo have another year to get us back into finals. If he can’t make finals next year, goodbye thanks for your service.

Get new assistants first.

Let Bevo have another year to get us back into finals. If he can’t make finals next year, goodbye thanks for your service.

They are apparently negotiating his new deal as we speak.

St Kilda is in a higher position on the ladder than us after 10 rounds.

What's more of a concern to me anyway is it seems they have a more settled game plan/style and more cohesion accompanied with players establishing how to play their position and a better understanding of what their position entails.

Don't think Bev's time is up but I do believe his time is up if there is no change in assistant coaches and also getting Bev someone that holds him accountable.

i was prepared to give bevo the benefit of the doubt after 2017, then 2018 with injuries. 2019 atm is looking to be an even worse season.
however we cant ignore all the bad of-field stuff that's happened under his watch. far too much issues imo.

a lot of players have either regressed or remained stagnant under him. the on-field issues still remain (lack of forward pressure, 5th season and still no cohesive forward line, no trust in tall players, unbalanced teams).

i cant think of too many "good" coaches who miss out on playing finals for 3/4 seasons and turn it around.
id love for him to turn it around, i hope the club tries to help him out first (new assistants, director of coaching, etc) before the thought of sacking him.

And this is what Ive said since round 1 2018.
I couldn't see finals on the horizon in 2018 and thought 2019 would be a stretch also.

Its why talk of extending him this year would be a mistake. Am sure even those being ultra positive would see that at least.

Not just cause we could go on a 4 year run out of finals off the back of a flag but cause Bevo may well just have a brad Scott moment and walk anyway.
Here is the reality - Bevo doesnt see himself as a career coach - and has said it on multiple occasions.

If we get to the mid way point next year and are not a show at making finals and not sitting in the 8, as Ive said for 2 years now he doesnt see out his contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back