Luke Beveridge - Our Mastermind

Remove this Banner Ad

It does feel like the same stuff keeps happening. That’s now 4 out of the last 6 seasons that we started 0-2. We have less wins from opening 5 rounds in that time than teams like St Kilda. Kinda hard to make top 4 when you start behind nearly every year

My employment contract allows my employer to terminate the contract with 6 weeks as the payout. Executive contracts often specify the maximum payout figure and 6 months is pretty standard for someone on $400k per annum plus (and Bevo is rumored to be on quite a bit more than that.)

Precedence established through the Rankin v Marine Power International Pty Ltd case, that determined the standard for reasonable notice

well, at least there is no wriggle room any more. The gameplan has to change.

In the presser bevo said hed be looking for 'novel' ways to enact that change in the space of a week.

So Im expecting everyone will be given the thumbs up to support moving the ball on at all costs. I expect to see us lose to brisbane in a high scoring affair where we make a zillion stuffups and turnovers but equally we move the ball well from defence to attack and actually get it into our forwards enough to get a decent score on the board.

Positional changes Im not really worried about except that we really need defenders with closing speed and the ability and confidence to provide some overlap run and long kicking. Not sure we can support both Keath and Bruce in the same backline - I think one of them has to make way for Buku. With 3 of our key defenders in their 30s we just need to get games into Buku and retain him on the list.

well, at least there is no wriggle room any more. The gameplan has to change.

In the presser bevo said hed be looking for 'novel' ways to enact that change in the space of a week.

So Im expecting everyone will be given the thumbs up to support moving the ball on at all costs. I expect to see us lose to brisbane in a high scoring affair where we make a zillion stuffups and turnovers but equally we move the ball well from defence to attack and actually get it into our forwards enough to get a decent score on the board.

Positional changes Im not really worried about except that we really need defenders with closing speed and the ability and confidence to provide some overlap run and long kicking. Not sure we can support both Keath and Bruce in the same backline - I think one of them has to make way for Buku. With 3 of our key defenders in their 30s we just need to get games into Buku and retain him on the list.

Given they have Daniher, Gunston and Hipwood, Bruce or Keath probably makes way for Gardner, assuming he passes his fitness test.

The problem is that the club literally just did a review of football operations that as far as I can recall was never made public.

The net result seems to be we brought in Brendan Lade, used the review to paper over the readily apparent cracks and not much else.

It now seems that the review missed the mark by more than Naught and JUH shots on goal last weekend.

Im still not quite off the fence about Bevo future. But it's going to take a monumental turnaround in coaching philosophies and communication to turn this team around. If his weekend presser is any indication his well of inspiration has run dry and we may be better of taking our medicine now and moving on from his era.
Fail to see how anyone can get anything out of a presser. Cop a hiding, answer questions 30 minutes later, have never heard one coach in that situation who looks full of inspiration.

Interesting perspective on the Saints board re Cordy . Apparently he was lapped 13 times in the early season time trial . But now:

Got to the Saints and was half a lap behind the group in 400 metre runs. Saw him in November and he was 75 metres behind, after the Xmas break he was still at the back, but only 5 metres or so. Must have worked his arse off over Christmas.

Two weeks back he was just one of the group, not lagging. His fitness levels have risen in direct response to the makeup of our group.”

He did look in the best shape of his life on Sat night .

Our team does not look fit . Blame the conditioning staff but the buck stops with the coach . Rossy Lyon takes the lead when it comes to fitness.

Interesting perspective on the Saints board re Cordy . Apparently he was lapped 13 times in the early season time trial . But now:

Got to the Saints and was half a lap behind the group in 400 metre runs. Saw him in November and he was 75 metres behind, after the Xmas break he was still at the back, but only 5 metres or so. Must have worked his arse off over Christmas.

Two weeks back he was just one of the group, not lagging. His fitness levels have risen in direct response to the makeup of our group.”

Not a high bar for him, and it’s why he sometimes found himself out of favour with us.

Not a high bar for him, and it’s why he sometimes found himself out of favour with us.

Says something about the culture of the club that he was allowed to get like that & was continually chosen in the 1s. For a long time he seemed like an automatic choice for Bev.

Yet St Kilda was able to fix it in just one off-season? (Assuming the story has some factual basis)

I’ve been on bevo since 15 off bevo in 18 back on in 19 back off in 22. However for some reason I’m back on bevo in 23 geez the man can coach his record speaks for itself. If this club is serious and he had similar assistants than the other 17 teams club have well his record would be better. The question I ask if we surrounded him with decent assistants how would we go geez Lyon Clarkson Goodwin etc have them he’s coaching solo against 3 each week. If he does move on and goes to any club he will be successful if we move him on and keep our assistants we will be closer to the bottom 4 than the top 4. Pull out any senior current coach with our assistants and they would never coach again.

I’ve been on bevo since 15 off bevo in 18 back on in 19 back off in 22. However for some reason I’m back on bevo in 23 geez the man can coach his record speaks for itself. If this club is serious and he had similar assistants than the other 17 teams club have well his record would be better. The question I ask if we surrounded him with decent assistants how would we go geez Lyon Clarkson Goodwin etc have them he’s coaching solo against 3 each week. If he does move on and goes to any club he will be successful if we move him on and keep our assistants we will be closer to the bottom 4 than the top 4. Pull out any senior current coach with our assistants and they would never coach again.
Not sure where to start. A few questions for you to consider:
1. Who appointed the sub standard assistants
2. Why did our good assistants leave.
3. Who is responsible for our game plan
4. Why have so many of our players gone backwards/lost confidence

I'm off the Bevo bandwagon and sadly it appears the players feel the same. I hope it can be turned around but its a really tough gig.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have we ever thought that maybe the reason our assistants suck is because no one wants to work with him? Honestly why else would we be struggling to get off field talent who want to work with this list? We have the same amount of money as everyone else.

I mean it’s on record that he doesn’t “let the bakers bake” and all we’ve done since the day he walked in the door is drive away good staff who have gone elsewhere with varying degrees of success

There’s one common denominator here, he’s stubborn & hard to deal with

Let’s say hypothetically we win Thursday, we go shackles completely off and move the ball quickly at every opportunity and suddenly our mids cover big kms (as seen in the stats)..

Where would that leave you? Would you change the blame to the players for inconsistency of effort or would you still be off the coach?

Let’s say hypothetically we win Thursday, we go shackles completely off and move the ball quickly at every opportunity and suddenly our mids cover big kms (as seen in the stats)..

Where would that leave you? Would you change the blame to the players for inconsistency of effort or would you still be off the coach?
If the players are inconsistent, isn't that at least party the coach's fault?

But to answer your question, to retain Bevo I would need to see a change in attitude from the players for a looooot more than one game.

It's a massive hypothetical. Not just the mental side which we know can toggle pretty quickly, but the physical side where we get torched in red time and fourth quarters. If we are indeed one of the least aerobically fit sides in the AFL we are not going to get that back quickly. It'll need at least another off-season.

But playing along with the hypothetical for a moment the renaissance would have to last the entire season including finals. Too often we've seen the side go missing in games it ought to win easily (like in late 2021).

And I'd still be asking how it has even come to the point where nearly everyone here and nearly every media pundit is asking why we are playing boring football with no hunger, no will to win, no flair, no apparent game plan and pondering whether the coach has "lost" the players. How did we arrive at such a pass?

I'm lead to believe that a meeting was held today between various board members (not all of them) and senior player group leadership, without anyone from the football department in attendance.

Contents of the meeting unknown (you can take a guess), but very unusual meeting nonetheless.

I'm lead to believe that a meeting was held today between various board members (not all of them) and senior player group leadership, without anyone from the football department in attendance.

Contents of the meeting unknown (you can take a guess), but very unusual meeting nonetheless.

That would likely suggest they are being asked what the issues are and how they are feeling about the coaches.

That would likely suggest they are being asked what the issues are and how they are feeling about the coaches.
That's my feeling as well. I'm more interested to find out who called the meeting, the players or the board, might indicate the clubs thinking.

History would suggest those performances are short term sugar hits. It happens every season, a team gets under the pump and then has a surprise win and everyone wonders where that effort has been.

Fundamental problems will rear their head again, it’s almost guaranteed. If we win in a shootout on Thursday night that’ll be the outlier, so it’d be dangerous to read too much into it.

Now if they somehow win three of the next four and find something sustainable that’s a different story. But performances like Saturday’s don’t come from nowhere imo. They’re indicative of significant issues.

History would suggest those performances are short term sugar hits. It happens every season, a team gets under the pump and then has a surprise win and everyone wonders where that effort has been.

Fundamental problems will rear their head again, it’s almost guaranteed. If we win in a shootout on Thursday night that’ll be the outlier, so it’d be dangerous to read too much into it.

Now if they somehow win three of the next four and find something sustainable that’s a different story. But performances like Saturday’s don’t come from nowhere imo. They’re indicative of significant issues.

Yep. Haven’t seen a performance like that in years.

I mentioned in another thread that I have semi regular contact with someone on the board. Again, no I do not get any inside info etc.

They are deadset Bevo Stans.

Maybe there is a split on the board?

Our team does not look fit . Blame the conditioning staff but the buck stops with the coach . Rossy Lyon takes the lead when it comes to fitness.
Quite possibly the Saints are the fittest team in the comp. Basedon Dunkley's comments as well, we're possibly the least fit (in terms of running)

We have (some) board members who know little about football, but do know about business and off-field governance.
It would be interesting to know which board members attended the meeting

Remove this Banner Ad

Back