Luke Beveridge - Our Mastermind

Remove this Banner Ad

There is bugger all on our list with a bit of aggression - think Clay Smith that kind of guy who scares oppostion into making a mistake

Can't wait to see Arty in action

"I actually had the thought the other day that maybe the club knows this list isn't that good anymore and they signed Bevo long term to oversee the pending slashing of the dead wood "

If this was the case, should they have wasted an early draft pick and salary cap on Lobb?
Jones I agree with, but we signed him on a long deal also, which to me indicates the club though we would be a serious contender over the next few years.

"I actually had the thought the other day that maybe the club knows this list isn't that good anymore and they signed Bevo long term to oversee the pending slashing of the dead wood "

If this was the case, should they have wasted an early draft pick and salary cap on Lobb?
Jones I agree with, but we signed him on a long deal also, which to me indicates the club though we would be a serious contender over the next few years.
I think most of us did consider ourselves a contender before round 1.
We also recognise that Sam Darcy needs support/development time so a couple of years of stop-gap in the same position made sense on paper.

The fact we're putting Lobb in for surgery just after round 1 over an injury he carried through pre-season screams mismanagement of that issue to me.

Since the Freo final, we’ve scored 2.5 (17) and conceded 11.10 (76) in fourth quarters. Either the players are completely unfit, have the weakest mentality when losing or both.

Since March 2019, our biggest last quarter comeback is only 13 points.
Given comments by Dunks and some of the commentary about Cordy here, we just can't run with the top teams. It's a real problem

Bevo went from the surfer dude that's sick to hang out with and is always up for a good time to the old bloke who once had it but now spends his time angry and dour get him out

Sorry I don't understand the contracted and not an employee. I'm a senior employee and contracted under a fixed term agreement.
This relates to the rules. Bit tricky but looks like the dear ATO take a dim view of people who are regular employees being classified as ccontractors

I think most of us did consider ourselves a contender before round 1.
We also recognise that Sam Darcy needs support/development time so a couple of years of stop-gap in the same position made sense on paper.

The fact we're putting Lobb in for surgery just after round 1 over an injury he carried through pre-season screams mismanagement of that issue to me.
Not sure, and I know the horse has bolted. But do you know if we had any interest in Grundy?

I would much rather have had Grundy rucking and English playing FWD/RUCK over Lobb.

Not sure, and I know the horse has bolted. But do you know if we had any interest in Grundy?

I would much rather have had Grundy rucking and English playing FWD/RUCK over Lobb.
English sees himself as a no 1 ruck and we seemed to have played him in that role before (in my opinion) he was ready.

We were always targeting either a no 2 (Soldo, Lobb) or a 50/50 partner.

Grundy is very expensive, but I would have asked the question. It seems we were committed to Lobb pretty early into last season though.

English sees himself as a no 1 ruck and we seemed to have played him in that role before (in my opinion) he was ready.

We were always targeting either a no 2 (Soldo, Lobb) or a 50/50 partner.

Grundy is very expensive, but I would have asked the question. It seems we were committed to Lobb pretty early into last season though.
Grundy also looks cooked

Grundy also looks cooked
He's certainly lacking that 'urgency' he once had. Given a run as solo ruck he still might be a top 10 ruck in the comp though. We'll just have to see.

A fully fit Lobb suits suit us. I'm really filthy on the timing of his ankle surgery given it was an issue we knew about though.

Last edited:
I don’t claim to have great AFL level tactical nous, and I don’t know whether Beveridge or Lyon was responsible but guys like Keath, Bruce, Jones and Crozier were racking up stats when surely the ball should have been in the hands of Dale, Richards and Daniel.

Keath, Bruce, Jones and Crozier won their ball off opposition (14 intercept marks, 28 intercept possessions between them). Dale and Richards couldn't win as much ball (1 intercept mark, 9 intercept possessions). That's the reason for the difference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keath, Bruce, Jones and Crozier won their ball off opposition (14 intercept marks, 28 intercept possessions between them). Dale and Richards couldn't win as much ball (1 intercept mark, 9 intercept possessions). That's the reason for the difference.
That’s their roles though, our system needs to be designed around getting the ball into the hands of Dale & Red more but it’s breaking down atm

That’s their roles though, our system needs to be designed around getting the ball into the hands of Dale & Red more but it’s breaking down atm
Overall the four 'interceptors' averaged 17 touches between them, the two 'recievers' 20. If you take away intercept possessions, the interceptors averaged 10 touches each to the recievers 16 each. I reckon they're being fed enough ball, if anything they should be challenged to win more of their own. We know Richards is capable of that.

This relates to the rules. Bit tricky but looks like the dear ATO take a dim view of people who are regular employees being classified as ccontractors

Absolutely the ATO will determine through a set of rules if you are an employee or truly a contractor. I can't see how any players or full time coaching staff could be classified as contractors.

The fact we're putting Lobb in for surgery just after round 1 over an injury he carried through pre-season screams mismanagement of that issue to meme.
It was reported last week that he has had the issue for a few years. Not sure of the article but extract below was sent to me.

Rory Lobb has developed some catching pain in his ankle, relating to some small loose bodies in the joint that have intermittently caused him issues in the last few years,” Head of Sports Medicine, Chris Bell said.

Not sure what to read into the above but it appears Freo and Dogs medicos thought it could be managed......not sure what to read into that either.

Given comments by Dunks and some of the commentary about Cordy here, we just can't run with the top teams. It's a real problem
FMD, getting professional athletes fit should be the easy bit......assuming not injured. We don't seem to be able to even get that right. Everything else is compromised from that point on.

It was reported last week that he has had the issue for a few years. Not sure of the article but extract below was sent to me.

Rory Lobb has developed some catching pain in his ankle, relating to some small loose bodies in the joint that have intermittently caused him issues in the last few years,” Head of Sports Medicine, Chris Bell said.

Not sure what to read into the above but it appears Freo and Dogs medicos thought it could be managed......not sure what to read into that either.
I know what he was going through - I had the same issue. It was a bastard. Some days it would be fine and others I had no power to push off.

Took me 5 years to get mine re done but I'd expect if the club knew about it, they should have had it done the moment he Lobbed 🤣

I share similar concerns with most and consistency under Bevo has been a bit iffy over the journey, but things can change quickly, especially at Round 3. We’ve done it numerous times under Bevo.

Kicked 5 goals against Hawthorn in 2021 and made Daniel Howe look like Ablett Jnr….then destroyed Port in an away prelim a month later. This side does the extremes.

It’s a big if, but a Thursday night win could easily set us up.

Bevo deserves the scrutiny, but if there’s a coach to turn it around from here, it’s him.

So has he bought himself a bit more time? 😀.
Earlier in this thread adogsfan5 posed the question of what happens if we turn it around against Brisbane.
Let’s say hypothetically we win Thursday, we go shackles completely off and move the ball quickly at every opportunity and suddenly our mids cover big kms (as seen in the stats)..

Where would that leave you? Would you change the blame to the players for inconsistency of effort or would you still be off the coach?
There were a few responses but I thought this was one of the best:
That would need to be shown on a consistent basis over a period of time. Not just this week or two. Then back to crap for a few weeks. Then half a good game etc. I will never trust this group under Bevo. 41 points or whatever it was agaisnt freo and we lose. Will never be confident with any lead. Though I do remain hopefull considering we have stumbled into two GFs.

Simple fact is there has not been once consistent season. Even in 2021 which looked like it was going to be a consistent one we then gave up a top 4 birth. It shows me they can turn it around, just never lasts in any meaningful way
So yes, it has bought him more time.
Time to prove it's no fleeting performance. Driven by an emotional response to the attention focussed on Bevo and his players through the week.

We can't expect to win all 20 remaining H&A games so let's accept there will be some ups and downs in form and results, but we really need to see consistent effort and more entertaining football throughout the season. Give us 20 weeks of that, and in the finals too, and he'll win back most of the doubters. Flag or no flag.

Earlier in this thread adogsfan5 posed the question of what happens if we turn it around against Brisbane.

There were a few responses but I thought this was one of the best:

So yes, it has bought him more time.
Time to prove it's no fleeting performance. Driven by an emotional response to the attention focussed on Bevo and his players through the week.

We can't expect to win all 20 remaining H&A games so let's accept there will be some ups and downs in form and results, but we really need to see consistent effort and more entertaining football throughout the season. Give us 20 weeks of that, and in the finals too, and he'll win back most of the doubters. Flag or no flag.

Spot on brother!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back