Autopsy Rd 11 Carlton vs Essendon - So what did you get up to this weekend?

Who were our best players in round 12

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

You're under no obligation to pay it back if you don't want to. And why would you want to?

Haven’t so far.. I wrote them an email that I should be paid out at least for my notice period (1 week during probation).. was told as I agreed to leave immediately (well as it was untenable on my part and soul destroying to stay and didn’t make sense) I’m not owed my notice. Not sure of my legal rights.

Haven’t so far.. I wrote them an email that I should be paid out at least for my notice period (1 week during probation).. was told as I agreed to leave immediately (well as it was untenable on my part and soul destroying to stay and didn’t make sense) I’m not owed my notice. Not sure of my legal rights.
Feel free to PM me if you want some HR advice. If not, I wish you all the best with your job search and hope you find something with a healthy culture.

WWas at the game today guys and it was not a very good game for Carlton supporters and my friends mentioned it was way worse than what they have seen for a while due to the expectation being higher with the top kids and the average opponent being depleted with injuries to the better players.

What my friend said today that really made me think and thought i would bring it up here , He said not 1 ex GWS player on the carlton list would attract a pick better than a 4th rounder if they were put up for trade at the end of the year and that got me questioning has SOS been too focused on these players than what he should have been whilst some players might have been better not taken and gone to the draft.

Think there will be another 8-10 player clean out this year

I was at the game today. I had to endure the cold change that came through before half time.

I watched a team bereft of confidence. The ‘outside noise’ has smashed down the walls and we’re seeing a team that’s not willing to take a risk to get a result.

Good luck if you think sacking the coach is the solution. I think these players are struck with fear at the thought of the coach getting the arse.

This is the list that is the foundation of future success. Blink and it’s all gone.

I don’t think Bolton getting sacked now (and presumably having Barker in as caretaker) is an improvement. But he certainly deserves the heat, as does imo SOS and yes, the entire coaching panel. Any new coach should be given free reign to assemble their team of assistants.
Never Barker... he has no idea of what the hell he is doing!

WWas at the game today guys and it was not a very good game for Carlton supporters and my friends mentioned it was way worse than what they have seen for a while due to the expectation being higher with the top kids and the average opponent being depleted with injuries to the better players.

What my friend said today that really made me think and thought i would bring it up here , He said not 1 ex GWS player on the carlton list would attract a pick better than a 4th rounder if they were put up for trade at the end of the year and that got me questioning has SOS been too focused on these players than what he should have been whilst some players might have been better not taken and gone to the draft.

The trades are tricky to assess in isolation as we were taking so many kids at the draft at the same time. Without the Silvagni/injury discount/'playing with mates' factors, who knows whether we'd have attracted anyone else?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kennedy, Marchbank and Setterfield played. I'd suggest you'd get offers on Setterfield (10 games in). Marchbank is struggling a bit. Kennedy has shown little. The GWS thing is a lazy argument, not the cause of our current issues.

Feel ya I’m unemployed for the first time ever myself after quitting my new job for being bullied.

I did exactly the same thing this year. I took my maternity leave and then resigned from a job I loved, all because of bullying. And a top-down culture of nastiness and hypocracy. Women can be nasty, and it’s scary to think they’re in charge of schools and educating little children.
But, all power to us for knowing our worth and walking away from crap!

Think Setterfield and Marchbank would get better than 4th round.

Yes, there is no doubt the "any change is good change" movement is gaining momentum, especially on these boards. I still think Bolton is carrying the can disproportionately for the performances of the players as a group, and while coaching is a part of that, it might not be a major part. Particularly when we were pretty happy with this same coach and these same players against the Bulldogs, Hawthorn, Collingwood, not that long ago.

We have massive issues of confidence with the ball in hand - no-one feels able to take the game on, it makes us stagnant, and so many of our problems stem from this. We still have boys playing against men, even against a depleted Essendon today. And we don't get enough from our senior players (such as they were today), we practically never do. In contrast, Essendon's seniors were superb, Heppell and Hooker seemed to win it at will, and use it to advantage.

We lack experience, which really hurt us in Q2 when it mattered. Bad enough that we were struggling to win the ball; much worse that when we did get it, we persisted with short kicks to contests. Have to be smarter than that. I did think the workrate was there, for the most part - McKay in particular worked hard for front position, but we repeatedly burnt him when he was in dangerous spots. And in general, we were just too easily knocked off the ball, our tackles were shaken, and we couldn't shake theirs. Same story as most weeks, last year and this, but hard to pin on Bolton with the list Silvagni has given him.

Plus a lot of dumb football. I love Cripps as much as anyone, but at some point today (ideally before half-time), he needed to realise that nothing good was happening at the fall of the ball in the stoppage, for either side. The damage was being done by players sitting five metres off the pack, usually on the defensive side. Essendon had Heppell camped there and he put on a clinic; our numbers were sucked into the scrimmage. Again and again. Even when it spilled out on our defensive side, we rarely had anyone there to win the ball and push it forward. It was just dumb.

No doubt some of it is coaching. Boundary throw-ins, even in Canberra I could see Bellchambers tapping it over the back to a runner headed straight for goal... yet all our stoppage players were boundary side. We need to be able to adapt, but seemingly we just can't. Maybe Bolton has lost the players. But I put that on the players as much as Bolton.

Maybe it is on the players. A lot of it probably is.

But more than half the guys who played today are 18-22 year-old kids who were probably the best player on every junior team they played for, or close to it. I remember what I was like at age 19 - no way I could have dealt with the pressure of being humiliated publicly every week like these kids. Putting it on them, every week, is going to crush them.

Fair or not, sacking the coach allows those kids a brain reset. It takes the pressure down for 4-5 weeks, lets them just relax and play footy again. Show some positives, tail away in our last month (we play basically hte top 4 teams to finish the year, so that's going in the toilet either way), then they get a new coach, new voice, new hope moving forward.

For the fans, it offers something. Otherwise, what else have we got? 11 more games of this rubbish?

Big benefit: it offers something for the players whose cards have been marked, who aren't Bolton's favourites, who might be out of form, and who get a chance to show their worth to someone different. Players who might just need a new voice or role to get going, but won't get that chance with Bolton. We've just seen it happen with Casboult, and previously Jones - injuries get them a new role, and suddenly their careers are save, but now I'm talking guys like Kennedy, Lang, Fasolo, Garlett, Polson, Kerr, Gibbons, Le Bois, Goddard, and even Ed Curnow, Thomas, Murphy. If even one or two of those guys find something, we're ahead.

It reminds me of the Brendan Fevola story. After a pretty solid 2001, his papers were stamped with Wayne Britain in 2002. As the team fell away, he was a scapegoat - only played 9 games, the last being a 3 possession disaster. He was too much trouble, didn't chase and tackle, etc. In his words, end of season came, he knew he was going to be delisted, and there were zero offers coming elsewhere - why would anyone want a troubled forward who had been delisted by the wooden spooners? When Pagan came in, he met with every player. Fev went in expected to be told he was out. Pagan instead, pumped him up, told him he saw the potential, and wanted to make him a star. Fev literally went into the players room after his meeting, fist pumped and yelled out 'the new coach loves me'. The next year he kicked 63 goals and became a superstar.

We need to give those players who are currently failing their 'the new coach loves me' moment. Maybe someone comes in and unlocks Kennedy and he becomes the next Josh Kennedy. Maybe someone unlocks Garlett and he becomes the next Jetta. Or maybe its Gibbons, or Lang, or Fasolo.... At least offer us something other than 'green shoots' and corporate speak, please...

The coaching panel needs to completely go, have defended Bolton but the whole group has to go.

The List Management has been an overrated, overhyped shitheap of a couple of decent kids and the rest are not footballers. There is no point of this club even having a recruiter at this point, just an AFL conscription bucket were careers go to die.

Players can all **** off. I am sick of the lot of them.

Board can **** off. 20 plus years of the same ineptiude with a occasional face change.

The Carlton Football Club is dead. Not worth investing any money or time on.

They did it to themselves.

This.

I did exactly the same thing this year. I took my maternity leave and then resigned from a job I loved, all because of bullying. And a top-down culture of nastiness and hypocracy. Women can be nasty, and it’s scary to think they’re in charge of schools and educating little children.
But, all power to us for knowing our worth and walking away from crap!
Yeah proud of doing it... but still feel like "sh**" and really down.

Back