Player Watch #19 Tom Lynch - It’s Official - OP Updated with Lynchmond goodness!

Remove this Banner Ad

Is lynch leading less and trying to grab the could land anywhere bomb it into 50? Maybe the team mates need to adjust and spear it in front of a leading forward instead of the old that’s ok jumping jack will fly for it and keep my disposal eff looking better than it should be
Exactly...the rest of the team need to play to his strengths as well.

Prestia was pretty bad the first half of his first season too so we will wait and see. I actually think it says less about Lynch and more about just how bloody good Jack Riewoldt has been for us over the journey. Not easy competing against 3 blokes each week.
I bet he never had to do that at Gold Coast!

what's happening with Lynch ATM by bombing it long is part of the plan.Along with a few other things.IMO
Comes back to Dimma's comment pre season of learning from last year.
Don't show our true hand till finals.
Watch how our fwd line will open up with space for Lunch or Jack to run into come finals.

If we want to win vs Geelong we have to have the mindset that all our forwards are short people. Then we can stop this bombing in business and look for spread and better options. Bombing is good when it’s done early and the defence has no time to set. But once the defence is set then we get out marked 9 times out of ten.

Lynch is a gun. Was super impressed watching him live against freo a few weeks back

But he’s more of a lead up type than a stay at home wrestler

Our players need to kick it to space for him as opposed to lobbing them on his head
I agree, our fwd set up is all about bombing it, and get the small to swarm the area. This works when under pressure, but there is also a need to get easy fwd 50 entries and goals from a system of blocking, cutting across team mates, creating space for fwds to lead into.

I think Lynch should be dropped this week to save some humiliation on him bc if he plays anywhere near as bad as he has been of late the Cats BL will slaughter us with the rebound coming due to his lack of effort.
If KDH doesn’t drop his Lunch I may well drop mine if I see the this dinosaur floating around.

I think Lynch should be dropped this week to save some humiliation on him bc if he plays anywhere near as bad as he has been of late the Cats BL will slaughter us with the rebound coming due to his lack of effort.
If KDH doesn’t drop his Lunch I may well drop mine if I see the this dinosaur floating around.
LOL....

A bloke coming off a massive PCL injury, with no preseason, only training once a week, getting shithouse delivery, being double or triple teamed yet still coming 4th in the Coleman should be dropped....

Laughable...

LOL....

A bloke coming off a massive PCL injury, with no preseason, only training once a week, getting shithouse delivery, being double or triple teamed yet still coming 4th in the Coleman should be dropped....

Laughable...
haha.gif

LOL....

Laughable...
Well he shouldn't be playing then and you've made my point .lol. If you're picked then you're fit to play ,especially after 11 weeks.Blokes have kicked a 100 goals and their teams have been spooners. The bottom line is he's a liability and killing us.

Interesting that Lloyd pointed out much of what we have discussed that he has much to learn with his leading patterns ,too often being dragged under the ball and losing his feet . I’ll give him 1 tip , spend some time ea week with rance and Riewoldt , two finer exponents you wouldnt meet they’ll offer plenty when it comes to positioning and leading .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting that Lloyd pointed out much of what we have discussed that he has much to learn with his leading patterns ,too often being dragged under the ball and losing his feet . I’ll give him 1 tip , spend some time ea week with rance and Riewoldt , two finer exponents you wouldn't meet they’ll offer plenty when it comes to positioning and leading .

As a guy who played backline for most of my nearly 30 years, perhaps I'm not the best to comment on Lynch. But the one thing that would make me worried about playing on him is his reach and ability to take the ball at its so-called highest point (he's very different to Jack). I have found though that this often somehow translates to the guys up the ground as an opportunity to bomb it in without much (enough) care. They think if it is high, that that advantages Lynch somehow. It doesn't though, because you get to body up not once, not twice but sometimes thrice on him in that time and you get a team mate to come over the top.

What I would fear is that lead up, lowered eyes pass / kick that is still pretty high, that helps Lynch take the ball high on the move. We don't have to be talking break-neck speed lead, nor a bullet kick, but movement that unbalances a backman as much as it might the forward, and with no help coming over the top for the backman. When we win more centre contests the mids will have the time to draw Lynch out on the move with a better hit up. That we don't do it better when transitioning out the half back is the biggest knock.

Also think his knee is bothering him if his gait is anything to go by. I hope we get him through Geelong and Adelaide and then he has the bye and manage him against Saints and even the week after against the Suns if necessary, and then he should be so much better for it against GWS and into run toward finals.

Last edited:
Well he shouldn't be playing then and you've made my point .lol. If you're picked then you're fit to play ,especially after 11 weeks.Blokes have kicked a 100 goals and their teams have been spooners. The bottom line is he's a liability and killing us.
He is a liability and killing us????

So who would be taking the Oppo's KPD if Lynch wasn't there???
Who would have replaced the goals Tom has kicked?

I'm not saying he shouldn't be playing, what I was saying is given his preparation, he is performing at an acceptable level.

You're expecting him to be JR, but in doing so, you're expecting him to come in a be the best KPF in the league... A bit unrealistic IMO.

All I'm saying is, I believe he is performing well, albeit not outstanding, I recognise he has areas to improve on around pressure and ground balls, but I also recognise that we don't have anyone else on the list fit who can play that role better than Tom at the moment...

The whole “his preparation” “mange/rest him” “knee still giving him problem” stuff is nonsense. Been enough time now that he should be showing more than he has, if any of those things are a problem, either play him in vfl or put him on the injury list and don’t play him at all. Chol could have a better input considering the excuses being made for Tom, enough is enough

The whole “his preparation” “mange/rest him” “knee still giving him problem” stuff is nonsense. Been enough time now that he should be showing more than he has, if any of those things are a problem, either play him in vfl or put him on the injury list and don’t play him at all. Chol could have a better input considering the excuses being made for Tom, enough is enough
Chol has played 1 outstanding game at VFL, the rest meh, and you think he would come in a do a better job... please...

You can be as critical of Tom all you want, but at least be realistic to who would replace him!

Chol has played 1 outstanding game at VFL, the rest meh, and you think he would come in a do a better job... please...

You can be as critical of Tom all you want, but at least be realistic to who would replace him!

You’re not paying attention, is best vfl player with naish. You can be as critical of mabior all you want, but at least be realistic in your criticism of him.

When it comes to Tom, I expect more and I think he’s been back long enough now to show more than he has, because he can.

My criticism of Mabs is fair, he has only really torn 1 VFL game apart, he has been more consistent this year than any other, but is he playing good enough to be our one and only target in the seniors, and the answer is no...
I am realistic around VFL performances translating into AFL performances... McBean had a greater influence in the 2's than Mabs and looked way out of depth at the top level.

I'm not saying Mabs is going terrible, I just don't think he can step in and fill Toms boots

My criticism of Mabs is fair, he has only really torn 1 VFL game apart, he has been more consistent this year than any other, but is he playing good enough to be our one and only target in the seniors, and the answer is no...
I am realistic around VFL performances translating into AFL performances... McBean had a greater influence in the 2's than Mabs and looked way out of depth at the top level.

I'm not saying Mabs is going terrible, I just don't think he can step in and fill Toms boots

No one in our vfl side could is the point, but my point was the excuses for him don’t sit well with me, “the knee” ect ect if those problems are there don’t play him, and has played enough now to be playing better than he has I’m not accepting the off season excuse anymore, so I expect him to raise his game from this weekend

He is a liability and killing us????

So who would be taking the Oppo's KPD if Lynch wasn't there???
Who would have replaced the goals Tom has kicked?

I'm not saying he shouldn't be playing, what I was saying is given his preparation, he is performing at an acceptable level.

You're expecting him to be JR, but in doing so, you're expecting him to come in a be the best KPF in the league... A bit unrealistic IMO.

All I'm saying is, I believe he is performing well, albeit not outstanding, I recognise he has areas to improve on around pressure and ground balls, but I also recognise that we don't have anyone else on the list fit who can play that role better than Tom at the moment...
It’s the goals that we’re not getting bc he’s basically not making an effort at the contest. Apart from the Port game we would have won our other six games without him. He mainly gets his goals from when the opposition do a stupid turnover around the middle to HF parts of the ground where his opponent has been caught out running off him. His goals would have been easily accounted for by any player who was prepared to have a crack. Townsend Miller Chol Moore CCJ Soldo or even a small. He’s been lucky Moore and Miller have been injured.
The point you contradicted yourself on again is his injuries and lack of fitness which if true then he shouldn’t be playing as the rebound coming from his opponents is killing us.

No one in our vfl side could is the point, but my point was the excuses for him don’t sit well with me, “the knee” ect ect if those problems are there don’t play him, and has played enough now to be playing better than he has I’m not accepting the off season excuse anymore, so I expect him to raise his game from this weekend
You do realise how ridiculous this sounds right?
Whether he is 100% fit or not is irrelevant....because like you said, 'no one in our VFL side could' replace him!

Last edited:
You do realise how ridiculous this sounds right?
Whether he is 100% fit or not is irrelevant....because like you said, 'no one in our VFL side could' replace him!

Not really, think of this then, reiwoldt is not replaceable , I don’t see Lynch as his replacement

Remove this Banner Ad

Back