Review Round 12, 2019 - Carlton vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Carlton?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

if you look at the first the blues just butchered everything they where up and about it was closer then 37 points.
Alison goal was from a iffy free and Neale from a soft 50m both could of went the other way.
Blues missed a few sitters and so was in real terms closer then 37 points. Prob more 15-20 points up. Scored off a few bad turn overs as well.

Like the dogs game and Freo and the end of the crows game.. Once a team gets a run on we seem a player or two down.
I know a lot of people saying Big O in for Archie. I said a few weeks now 2 rucks leave us a runner down.
When a team gets a run on they run off our resting forward ruck. Walker gets dropped every second week his marking would of been great today
Although our forward line stays Rayner, McCarthy, Cameron, McStay, Hipwood, Resting Ruck each week. untouchable. Not like they all setting things on fire.
Most weeks 1-2 go to sleep.
we get swamped our backline is not fast. Zorko is our best defensive mid when he got injured that was it. Our forwards and mids do not run enough no pressure once we cut open we open. We do not run deep in the midfield like other clubs.
3 talls in our forward line 6 marks inside 50 (zorko/Neale 1 each) to 15 blues. Hipwood 1 mark for the day from a great pass for Charlie.
I am going to get on the Rayner having a spell in the magoos 7 disposal 5 clangers. McCarthy does more around the ground body work so he saved just.

positive Answerth getting better each week. Rich played well. Harris and Darcy tried their hardest.
Shows how much we miss Berry :(
We need a good tagger. Curnow went to Neale shut him down while still getting the ball.
I love Mitch Robbo although every week he gives away a goal doing something stupid. Has to stop his ledger runs negative some weeks bad vs good.
That goal and a bad kick from McCluggage opened us up after we started being to cute..

We probably should of tanked last year for Walsh. Cripps was brillant. Walsh been great all year

We were sitting dead in the wing and time and again in the third quarter we bombed it to a contest in the wing, turned it over and Carlton went back inside their 50 straight through the corridor. We were beyond one dimensional. Carlton’s coaches mush have been beside themselves with joy because we demonstrated that we had no Plan B.
I commented today that Josh Walker playing true CHF would’ve offered more than anything Hipwood or anyone else could’ve offered. Walker is the only one IMO that actually knows how to play the position and push up the wings and take contested grabs. Appreciate that Walker has reinvigorated his career down back but its as if it is forgotten how good a forward he is too.

Unfortunately I am too, to the point I elected not to attend the dinner tonight because I was still too angry despite having a ticket.
A shame, but I completely understand the feeling.

On the positive side we never got out of first gear while the Blues played like it was a grand final- and still lost by just 15 points.

Would think Archie is gone and Big O back in.

On the positive side we never got out of first gear while the Blues played like it was a grand final- and still lost by just 15 points.

We should have been able to kick up a gear though. Especially against a side that for majority of the year has looked like a NEAFL team could keep up with them.

Does any one here actually know that Nick gets a role on a specific player most weeks he plays?? Or does everyone just shoot from the hip with emotion and irrational BS. I’m my own worst enemy here for reading this I guess but I actually enjoy the chat. I’ve refrained from commenting for a while because to be honest anyone would sometimes think we were sitting bottom of the ladder the way some react here.
The abitrary calls for Nick delisting and getting dropped every week is just ridiculous (and many other players)
First game this year he played 3 quarters on Fantasia and kept him scoreless. He got his 2 goals during Nicks compulsory rotation. Asked to go to Wulla for the last quarter and the guy had already kicked 5 (on who I might add) and some drongos on here suggested he had 7 kicked on him??? “Nicks ****, should never play for the Lions again” or words to the affect.
Against Collingwood I thought he played a really good game that day.
Hawthorne kept Breust to one goal (yes from his error) and today McGovern one goal and no influence.
He could run and chase kicks but he doesn’t. He plays his role. Some on here need understand how this works sometimes rather than sacrificing your own players to appease your own frustrations.
You think these guys won’t be pissed!!! Ashamed!!! Far out some have no idea.
Deluded if you really thought this was a premiership year. Absolute leaps and bounds this season but today reminds everybody how much work is left to do.
You can either bag the **** out of your own players that when they win you “love” them when they lose you tear them apart or stick fat. Constructive criticism of the game is fine and always a good read. Lately it gotten worse than that.
Nothing wrong with passion and there are many here that have supported the Lions for many more years than myself. Still 6 years and a playing Son that gets ripped to the shithouse on his on teams “supporters forum” probably allows me to stand up a voice my disappointment.
There are many many realists with composed commentary on this forum and its those I really enjoy reading.

I commented today that Josh Walker playing true CHF would’ve offered more than anything Hipwood or anyone else could’ve offered. Walker is the only one IMO that actually knows how to play the position and push up the wings and take contested grabs. Appreciate that Walker has reinvigorated his career down back but its as if it is forgotten how good a forward he is too.
If you want to go a 2 rucks and have one rest in the forward line. Maybe give Walker some more ruck work.
Said for weeks Martin and Walker/McStay pinch hitting.
Having Martin who is not a great kick and Archie resting in the forward line does not work. Big O a better forward then the other two. Although Walker is a real forward pushed out and down back.

Does any one here actually know that Nick gets a role on a specific player most weeks he plays?? Or does everyone just shoot from the hip with emotion and irrational BS. I’m my own worst enemy here for reading this I guess but I actually enjoy the chat. I’ve refrained from commenting for a while because to be honest anyone would sometimes think we were sitting bottom of the ladder the way some react here.
The abitrary calls for Nick delisting and getting dropped every week is just ridiculous (and many other players)
First game this year he played 3 quarters on Fantasia and kept him scoreless. He got his 2 goals during Nicks compulsory rotation. Asked to go to Wulla for the last quarter and the guy had already kicked 5 (on who I might add) and some drongos on here suggested he had 7 kicked on him??? “Nicks ****, should never play for the Lions again” or words to the affect.
Against Collingwood I thought he played a really good game that day.
Hawthorne kept Breust to one goal (yes from his error) and today McGovern one goal and no influence.
He could run and chase kicks but he doesn’t. He plays his role. Some on here need understand how this works sometimes rather than sacrificing your own players to appease your own frustrations.
You think these guys won’t be pissed!!! Ashamed!!! Far out some have no idea.
Deluded if you really thought this was a premiership year. Absolute leaps and bounds this season but today reminds everybody how much work is left to do.
You can either bag the **** out of your own players that when they win you “love” them when they lose you tear them apart or stick fat. Constructive criticism of the game is fine and always a good read. Lately it gotten worse than that.
Nothing wrong with passion and there are many here that have supported the Lions for many more years than myself. Still 6 years and a playing Son that gets ripped to the shithouse on his on teams “supporters forum” probably allows me to stand up a voice my disappointment.
There are many many realists with composed commentary on this forum and its those I really enjoy reading.
I don’t want to get personal with you here but it’s a forum that sees players dragged through the mud when they make a mistake, your son is no different and you’re obviously going to take it to heart for the fact he’s your son. Several, if not every player cops it.

What about just one ruck Martin and get another forward in. Skinner, Fullarton or Ballenden can pinch hit and offer another option. Or as I said above play Walker as a forward. He was one.
I know we get the other big guy brings the ball down.. Not sure to who a lot of the time our smalls jump as well.

I don’t want to get personal with you here but it’s a forum that sees players dragged through the mud when they make a mistake, your son is no different and you’re obviously going to take it to heart for the fact he’s your son. Several, if not every player cops it.
I have no issue with constructive criticism but beyond that it’s just ridiculous. I did say for all players not just Nick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Be really hard for a dad to read comments here. Like a product review page after a loss mostly negative.
Nick does seem to get it often on here his negatives are often more highlighted then the good things he does.
Him and and I add Mitch both play with so much passion and both make some mistakes. As they both play a lot in backhalf of the ground when their mistakes turn into goals add fuel to the fire.

If you look at todays game
McCluggage made a mistake kicked it to Cripps goal.
Martin missed one 15m out.
No one calls for their heads as much as Nick's

Be really hard for a dad to read comments here. Like a product review page after a loss mostly negative.
Nick does seem to get it often on here his negatives are often more highlighted then the good things he does.
Him and and I add Mitch both play with so much passion and both make some mistakes. As they both play a lot in backhalf of the ground when their mistakes turn into goals add fuel to the fire.

If you look at todays game
McCluggage made a mistake kicked it to Cripps goal.
Martin missed one 15m out.
No one calls for their heads as much as Nick's

Must have missed when Robertson was in all Australian discussion or won the best and fairest.

Who in the reserves was the player to stop Cripps and lead the way?

A second gamer did a solid job against him last week. I believe Lyons was on him but he should just focus on winning the footy since when he’s tried to play a shut down role (Ess and Coll) not only did he lose comfortably but he also managed to rarely touch it.

Selection was awful and I hope we stop this two ruck rule.

A second gamer did a solid job against him last week. I believe Lyons was on him but he should just focus on winning the footy since when he’s tried to play a shut down role (Ess and Coll) not only did he lose comfortably but he also managed to rarely touch it.

Selection was awful and I hope we stop this two ruck rule.
I been vocal on the 2 ruck thing. We need to work on Walker or someone to pinch hit.
I would of thought one of the robbos would go to Cripps. Lyons on him was robbing one of our ball getters.

Must have missed when Robertson was in all Australian discussion or won the best and fairest.
I see Nick more of a Copeland player.. every team needs one of those.
I think he has got a lot better over the last few years in disposal and thinking through targets.
First quarter back from NEAFL he had a few stuff ups.. I do think the level up from something like 4th grade to AFL is a big jump.
I rather a real reserves although that said we play Suns, Swans and GWS although a lot of time they have half a team injured and us 17 year old top ups.
Last week fine. This week saw nothing really wrong lots of players where off not pointing him out.
I say Archie out did not have a great game although more I do not like 2 ruck idea and Rayner really needs a spell now
Not sure who else I drop.

I see Nick more of a Copeland player.. every team needs one of those.
I think he has got a lot better over the last few years in disposal and thinking through targets.
First quarter back from NEAFL he had a few stuff ups.. I do think the level up from something like 4th grade to AFL is a big jump.
I rather a real reserves although that said we play Suns, Swans and GWS although a lot of time they have half a team injured and us 17 year old top ups.
Last week fine. This week saw nothing really wrong lots of players where off not pointing him out.
I say Archie out did not have a great game although more I do not like 2 ruck idea and Rayner really needs a spell now
Not sure who else I drop.

Copeland is from a bygone era. You can’t just be athletic and try hard.

He’s improved and his form this year has been ok but he’ll never be best 22 at an AFL club.

I actually have a few times thought of Robbo18 when I’m seeing Nick getting slaughtered by posts on here and thought it must be tough to read **** about your son.

Just part of the parcel I guess.
Yeah it is. The Lions FB page is really shocking. For all players but Nick really cops it badly. The same 4 guys for 6 years. Unbelievable really.
He doesn’t read any of it which is good.

Yeah it is. The Lions FB page is really shocking. For all players but Nick really cops it badly. The same 4 guys for 6 years. Unbelievable really.
He doesn’t read any of it which is good.
Playing in the defensive 50 is what gets him the s**t, the blame goes on those back 6 typically when everyone’s mashing their keyboards in anger at a goal against, etc.

Times I can accept player bashing and I’m going to use your son as an example - last week against the Hawks, we already had 2-3 goals kicked on us I believe and having just come back from the reserves he wasn’t used to the added pressure and took way too long to dispose of the ball and got caught red handed and it resulted in a goal to them. If that happened 5 times a game, yeah fair enough - everyone is probably going to start beating on him. If it’s just a one off it’s just emotion pouring out at the time.

Don’t think too much into it, just roll with the punches. Nicks obviously doing alright as he’s on an AFL list.

Copeland is from a bygone era. You can’t just be athletic and try hard.

He’s improved and his form this year has been ok but he’ll never be best 22 at an AFL club.
He played 4 games this year in a AFL top 8 clubs best 22 :) 72 games over 6 seasons.

If you look at this year.
Went unchanged first 3 games then Bailey injured and Basti dropped.
Then another 2 games unchanged Dons and Pies.
Then Andrews/Matho injured and Nick and Bundy dropped for Suns
unchanged against the swans
Dogs Walker and Taylor dropped
Crows. Bailey and Hodge injured and Cutler dropped
Freo Berry injured and Matho suspended
Hawks. Lester, Big O injured and Walker and Hinge dropped
Blue: Keays dropped

We have probably 6-8 spots open and been rotating players through. only Walker dropped twice.
If you look at changes.
6 games unchanged out of 12.
9 dropped. walker twice.
8 injured
1 suspended

Flew from tassie to watch the game with my carlton supporting better half...

The moment the game changed in my eye was when Rayner pulled some bs cocky move heading to goal and ended up being chased and tackled down holding the ball.

I think we are a chance to miss finals, i predicted 10 wins this season, i could be right.

Back