Should Labour split with the CMFEU?

Remove this Banner Ad

I am allowed to participate in all the other threads however much you might wish otherwise. :)

Where did i say you can't participate in other threads ??? :drunk:
Fact remains you wanted to have a shot and copped return fire.

I won't eat s**t , least of all from you.

An element I didn't put together is that Shorten was the middle man of a post-Rudd truce and that Albo has some scores to settle with the anti-Rudd camp.

There is nothing wrong with unions but everything wrong with corrupt unions.

Given Labor’s heart, soul and purse is controlled by these corrupt unions, Labor itself is rotten to the core.

Purging entities like the CFMMEU may hurt in the short term, but will improve the labor party.

It’s a must and well done Labor for having the balls to do so.

Yet if Labor splits with the CMFEU then surely someone like One Nation pounces on the CMFEU

Doesn't matter what way Labor go, they'll lose a voting faction.

Labor seriously can not win in any shape or form under this current political climate.

How many more serious **** ups can the LNP get away with before being held to account? Watergate, Palladin, GBR Foundation, AFP press freedom raids etc, yet Labor do the honourable thing and potentially get hammered for it...

Daniel Andrews and Bill Shorten are the unions’ best friends and now Albanese and Rudd are stating that unions should go away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Nation very unlikely so long as Hanson leads it (Hanson is fundamentally a nasty small business owner, someone who tells little children off for making too much noise out the front of her shop, and hates everyone she's had to employee as being greedy).

But if Latham engineers a takeover and places like the Hunter and Central Queensland continue to eschew Labor but remain working class, there is a definite fit there.

If Latham does this I expect one nation to get more popular vote than the greens.

Setka should’ve shut his mouth. He’s an idiot

Labor will never and should never dump the CFMEU

The CFMEU movement is diametrically opposed to the far left green movement.

One will need to be dumped to survive. The ALP will lose votes either way.

Just like the LNP needed to decide to be right or centre right. It chose centre right and lost some extreme right votes to one nation etc.

If Latham does this I expect one nation to get more popular vote than the greens.

I've always thought One Nation could be the one to take Nationals seats away in NSW

Instead it's SFF so far who has made inroads there

You know as well I do that Albanese giving a rancid CFMEU official a kick in the arse doesn't mean the Labor Party is about disconnect from the union movement. It's the only thing keeping the party together and one of the few powerful civil society bases you could even draw a coherent political party from.

I just find it funny that the narrative around Labor has swung from Bill Shorten being the speartip of Corbynism and militant unionism in Australia but the left faction with all the ex-trots is the one apparently trying to persecute the workers.

Give me a break.

Mate, the CFMEU is a joke.

They don’t do s**t for the individual worker. They take cuts from middle business owners which act as payments to quieten the workers when they complain about underpayment and overworking.

Seen it myself.

The retail union is the same. I can’t talk for the other unions but would not be surprised they are the same.

Split the CMFEU up and break with the Mining Union. The pro-coal mining part of the union is dead wood and an albatross around Labor's neck.Labor should be trying to sell and fund renewable project jobs to disaffected coal workers instead of sitting on the fence.

Albo has some scores to settle with the anti-Rudd camp.
Perhaps, reckon Albo is past it to be fair though

Shorten took Albos time when Albo may have been the right one to lead. The party needs someone younger to emerge now who can bridge divides and sit somewhere around the middle and appease a large number of people.

Potentially alienating a large union faction isn't a good start from Albo, he should've went about his beef with Setka discreetly.
At this stage Albanese has 1 million points to Shorten’s 0 points.

From someones POV from the Union despising right (basically every rusted on LNP supporter), sure

Labor would be in opposition for a whole generation and some more if it got rid of one of its major factions imo.

On the flipside, imagine the LNP without the far economic right of the IPA/Murdoch pulling the strings, lol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shorten took Albos time when Albo may have been the right one to lead. The party needs someone younger to emerge now who can bridge divides and sit somewhere around the middle and appease a large number of people.

Potentially alienating a large union faction isn't a good start from Albo, he should've went about his beef with Setka discreetly.
The only way you can move a high ranking union official is through public outrage. Apart from asking Setka nicely to step down, the political arm of the Labor Party doesn't have the power to remove union officials but union officials have voting rights to decide and remove political representatives. The politicians weapon to drive change is the media and public opinion.

After John Setka's misogynistic comments and Queensland CMFEU only backing pro-Adani candidates, is it time for Labor to split from the CMFEU?
My prediction is that if Labor stay in bed with the pro-coal CMFEU, votes will drift to the Greens, making Labor even more unelectable.
The union movement at 10% of workers generally makes Labor unelectable. The green vote is shrinking. Labor needs to start engaging ordinary australians, without telling them what's good for them.

If you look back at Hawke he generally made that effort.

From someones POV from the Union despising right (basically every rusted on LNP supporter), sure

Labor would be in opposition for a whole generation and some more if it got rid of one of its major factions imo.

On the flipside, imagine the LNP without the far economic right of the IPA/Murdoch pulling the strings, lol.
No one other than rusted on union voters would give a proverbial, what albo says or does to the militant union and they will still vote alp. Many of the high paid workers in that union vote liberal anyway. The union's are irrelevant to most alp voters or potential ones, it's just the alp doesn't realise that yet.

There is nothing wrong with unions but everything wrong with corrupt unions.

Given Labor’s heart, soul and purse is controlled by these corrupt unions, Labor itself is rotten to the core.

Purging entities like the CFMMEU may hurt in the short term, but will improve the labor party.

It’s a must and well done Labor for having the balls to do so.

It would be extremely difficult for a non-corrupt entity to compete against a corrupt entity in the Modern Australian Interpretation of The Democracy and The Law. Some people and entities (depending on what team they barrack for) are legally and knowingly allowed to be corrupt and even Parliament House votes in favour of keeping people like this in the Ministry. I could not imagine a non-corrupt entity being able to beat these corrupt entities in The Modern Australian interpretation of a fair go and a fair process.

If Labor does not go after corruption yet still manages to win power I could only imagine they could have done so through some of their own foul deviancy...

Here are some smart things Labor could do, and would also show what kind of fortitude and leadership capability they have to stamp out crime and corruption and the top end of town.

1) The only smart thing Labor has done since the election is to propose legally challenging the Chisholm election result, whether they go through with this will be telling as to whether they possess the capability of being government...
2) An even smarter thing, suggested by a former Labor PM (Kevin Rudd), was for a Royal Commission into the abuse of power in Australian media, whether they go through with this or not will be telling as to whether they possess the capability of being government...
3) Another smart thing Labor proposed to do but never went through with (which is telling) was to refer the dishonorable and corrupt Mr Potatohead to the High Court...
4) Labor has put on the table that the AFP are a political tool for the LNP as well as some of the other Australian Departments, if they are smart they will investigate, if they were smarter they will have a Royal Commission...

The union movement at 10% of workers generally makes Labor unelectable. The green vote is shrinking. Labor needs to start engaging ordinary australians, without telling them what's good for them.

If you look back at Hawke he generally made that effort.
The Green vote is not shrinking. Liberals won with a scare campaign, Labor needs to run a scare campaign on what irresponsible leadership can bring.

What sort of 'renewable project jobs' do you see a 50 year old coalminer in Clermont doing?
Putting up wind farms, installing solar panels, regenerating land subject to illegal land clearing ect.
I'm sorry but the future of the water table and the barrier reef is more important than a few short term jobs.

Putting up wind farms, installing solar panels, regenerating land subject to illegal land clearing ect.
I'm sorry but the future of the water table and the barrier reef is more important than a few short term jobs.
If groundwater or the Barrier Reef were at serious risk the environmental regulator would not have approved the project.

The Green vote is not shrinking. Liberals won with a scare campaign, Labor needs to run a scare campaign on what irresponsible leadership can bring.
Labor lost on a moronic campaign with a terrible leader, the green vote shrunk.

The libs didn't have to do anything Bowen and shorten did all the heavy lifting

Paid for by who, this sort of attitude is why Labor lost.

You got some economic modelling I can look at? Cause this stuff is always glibly thrown out there, but I've not yet seen a case that actually stacks up.

Leaving aside the fact that a lot of the people don't accept your premise here, it's not an argument that's going to cut a lot of ice in areas with 25% youth unemployment and little in the way of other job prospects.

It boggles my mind that a lot of the people on this board who despise Thatcher for shutting coal mines in economically depressed regions are gung-ho for doing exactly the same thing here. And they actually expect the CFMEU to get on board!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back