Autopsy Rd 13 Blues double comeback just falls short in a thriller

Who played well for the Blues in Round 13?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Missing set shots when you have momentum in the third is a not negotiable. Not sticking tackles with years of games under your belt inexcusable when the turnover goes straight back over your head for a goal. Refusal for repeat efforts defensively...... If you need to hang outcomes of games on a second year player finding his feet then we have far bigger problems than Dow having a poor game.
Thomas and Setterfield hit the post a top critical times while they got 2 goals out of blind flying shots.

Young side that is clearly maturing, but will be inconsistent for another 6- 12 months

Been in games this year that we could have won, GC, Hawks, Pies and tonight, but it is turning

Looking forward to the rest of the season
Playing the kind of game now that will bring the crowds. Just need a bit more strength and the poise that will come with strength.

Last edited:
Historically I would like to think I have been pretty balanced, but tonight was the tipping point for me.

Everyone who bothers to read, if your going to play the man at someone. Play it at me, call me all sorts of names, call me a campaigner for all I care....because I don't anymore.

After 31 years, you just hit that point where you realize its all for nothing.
Just sleep it off, mate

Twice in one game we found ourselves six goals down. Both times we played like world beaters...But outside of that, we’re terrible.

When will these boys learn that SOME work is not ENOUGH work?!

I’ll cop the 100 point losses to superior sides. But this type of loss, to inferior sides, really grinds my gears! This is an attitude issue. THAT, I won’t cop.

This.

I feel like this team's default mode is too conservative and we need be behind to start playing more adventurous flowing footy. then we get the lead and we revert back to default.

LOB is all of a sudden one of our most important players. great run and carry and very good disposal on the outside.

the biggest positive I can see from this game is we played some pretty good footy with cripps, walsh, weitering, mckay, mcgovern, ed curnow, newman, fisher and dow playing well below their best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Young side that is clearly maturing, but will be inconsistent for another 6- 12 months

Been in games this year that we could have won, GC, Hawks, Pies and tonight, but it is turning

Looking forward to the rest of the season
Wise words. Prepare for the roller coaster, Baggers. We will be equal part exhilarated and despairing, as the climb gets under weigh.

How so. Afl see crowds drop what do you think will happen?

Crowds will drop because security will keep throwing people out. On that, why wasn't Stratton thrown out for his one finger salute? haha. Now that would be funny. Security jumps the fence and throws out a player for unsavory behaviour, should I say for being an unsociable Dawk.

So am I. Main reason being that some of the doubts I had about the prospects of several youngsters has been dispelled; Obrien especially, but also really liked what I saw from Dow.

MK was good in patches, but speculating that had English been playing for the Blues tonight, we'd have won the game by 4 ot 5 goals; his tap work in 1st half was pretty slick.

Respect Murphy's contribution over the years, but he's already received his due accolades for past performances. He now appears cooked.

He had an excellent 2nd half, people seem to just see what they want to see

Really thought we might pinch that one at the end. Our inconsistency across four quarters is understandable at this stage but so frustrating.

On the positive side, when we're at our best we're starting to look seriously impressive. We're getting much better at hitting the scoreboard when we do dominate the play. In the last couple of games we've played like that for 1-2 quarters. Do it for 3 quarters and we'll win more than we lose. Do it for 4 and we'll be scary.

Great to see that Murphy seems to be getting a free pass for the rubbish he served up for the majority of the game.

Hear hear. I love him, but I love him like a brother who borrows too much money and never pays it back. The brother who broke my computer when I lent it to him. The brother who sells me video games because he thinks I’m done with them. The brother that sleeps with my missus.

What a bizarre breaking point. We just changed coach. The season is done. Our star forward has hit some form again, the young guys are almost all stepping up and we have just lost a game by 3 points where we showed as many positives as frustrating moments. Sleep on it.

And we have a clear injury list now as well, things look more positive now than they have at any other stage this year IMO.

It’s still not great, but the forward line looked better than it has at any stage this year, the talls were working well together, and another week it could be McKay who gets off the chain and kicks a bag. Still need to get some good pressure small forwards.

Back