Autopsy Rd 13 Blues double comeback just falls short in a thriller

Who played well for the Blues in Round 13?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

i'm a believer in playing the best team every week and riding out the form slumps, but mcgovern has to be dropped after that game. it was possibly the worst individual performance from any blue this season.
Geez I thought Charlie's timing was out in marking contests earlier in the season he had nothing on McGovern tonight who was woeful .

Bitterly disappointed with our performance. Somehow stayed in the game largely off the back of 1 player. A few guys played well-ish but not good enough across the board.

Both teams looked a million dollars and then rubbish for chunks of the game.

But I loved it when we took the game on and showed our flair. We needed to be tougher, earlier on, at the centre clearances - they did well in nullifying Crippa - but when Krooz started to get on top of English it was game on.

Also, Charlie, I love you. So does my son.

LOB looks like a completely different player at the moment. Levi is a colossus down back. SPS was huge at times and so was Cuners. If Setterfield can clean up his ball use he will be terrific.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Historically I would like to think I have been pretty balanced, but tonight was the tipping point for me.

Everyone who bothers to read, if your going to play the man at someone. Play it at me, call me all sorts of names, call me a campaigner for all I care....because I don't anymore.

After 31 years, you just hit that point where you realize its all for nothing.

If you can't see, that this is different and in time we will win these types of games, you really haven't been paying attention

A
Aside from the obvious stars of the game, I though Murph’s finesse was valuable tonight. He looked to have a confidence / freedom I haven’t seen for a few years.

Fish was working it from clearances.

SPS looked good for bits sweeping across half back.

Cas!

So much promise in the list, every incremental improvement in individual players should have a noticeable effect across the whole team.

And Ed’s tag was fairly handy...

That No 10 umpire can kiss my ass, never gave us a sniff all night, and gifted the doggies goals in the forward half, but to be honest, a quarter and a half doesn't cut it, I was actually amazed we were only 3 and half goals down at half time tbh

We won the free kick count for those thinking we were hard done by all game...
I don't know... 2 goals from bullshit free kicks made all the difference in the end. Both goals gifted to the mutts by umpire #12.

To me we got into the game because of Dow.

What did you like? I thought he was ok as a forward and did some nice things but hurt us because he can’t kick. His goal he dribbled through

Problem is we keep playing him as a mid and he a) can’t get the ball, b) can’t tackle, c) loses his man at stoppages, particularly in defensive 50, d) doesn’t run defensively well, and e) can’t kick

He had 9 touches. His starting direct opponent had 41.

Was ready to come on here expressing my disappointment in how we couldn’t stop the Dogs when they got a run on and finished poorly. Then we kept trying and almost pinched the game. Last few minutes were very exciting. Credit to the boys.

They have to start better though. It’s like they take a few goals scored against them before they wake up.

Cripps was tagged out and nobody else really stepped up which hurt.

What a ****ing game from Charlie Curnow. Been waiting for one like that for ages.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know... 2 goals from ******** free kicks made all the difference in the end. Both goals gifted to the mutts by umpire #12.
this is an interesting new development - doxing individual umpires......

I can think of a half a dozen reasons we lost ..and it's not because of one player...
Missing set shots when you have momentum in the third is a not negotiable. Not sticking tackles with years of games under your belt inexcusable when the turnover goes straight back over your head for a goal. Refusal for repeat efforts defensively...... If you need to hang outcomes of games on a second year player finding his feet then we have far bigger problems than Dow having a poor game.

Dogs got rubbish 50's to get ahead, we got rubbish frees to get back. Balances out.

We realistically played a quarter-and-a-bit of actual football and nearly won. I remain a big fan of Bolton, but we'd never have produced bursts like that under his tutelage.

On a more sombre note, security walking the aisles scanning for people to eject is really troubling. I won't say 'oppression', but that sort of monitoring will not get the results the AFL is looking for. It will just heighten tensions and increase the likelihood of things getting out of hand.

Was a tough game to watch. When the boys turned it on it was clear we were the better side - but 2.5 qtrs it was like we were not on the park.

Our tackling is terrible (as has been pointed out occasionally) - they just don’t make them stick. I’d be interested in seeing a ‘missed tackle’ type of stat, I don’t think it would be very flattering.

That first 20 minutes of the last qtr was the most dissapointing (I think the dogs had something like 13 scores in a row)

Last 10 minutes was incredible. In the end just another crappy loss.

At least it was worth watching.

Feel disappointed. What a rollercoaster. Need to learn that it's a 4 quarter game. Didn't understand some of the early positioning either.

Forwards need to work harder and lead at the ball. McGovern needs a big pre season and McKay is going through a tough patch. Midfield was poor in first quarter.

On a positive we played some great football as well. The talent is undeniable. Need to keep improving

I thought Kruezer was awesome. Charlie is a rare talent and O'Brien keeps improving.

SPS looked so much better when in defence. Casboult was fantastic. He's seems to be quicker and his discipline is first class. Deserves a lot of credit. Simmo was Simmo. Setterfield is building

Murphy was good in second half after struggling early as was Cuningham.

Still got within 3 points with Cripps & Walsh being relatively quiet. Can't wait until this team is fitter and stronger.

Thank goodness for the bye as I need a break. The old heart skipped a few beats tonight. All I want now is for us to keep improving and finish off the year strong.

Kreuz was a ****load better in the ruck contests but just didn't follow English up the ground. Unsure if that was a plan or something, since we have a pretty tall defensive line. English did well to make the most of those chances on goal. Kreuzer's tap work was OK but he palmed too many to nobody. Got shown up in the end but not a pantsing. Though I spose with the experience difference...

Yeah there were some really purposeful taps that went exactly where Kreuz wanted them but no one was actually there to take them...

Back