Scandal Jaidyn Stephenson - Betting on Pies games

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a good move by the young fella. Pretty Bludy stoopid really. Surely the players must be aware of the punishment to previous offenders?

In saying that I think the punishment is manifestly excessive. A small amount betting on his own team.

If he'd bet for the opposition then I can see the merit on throwing the book at players. But FFS, this is ridiculous. The AFL are happy to expose kids & all to gambling, then do this over the top response just looks so so so --- over the top!!
By betting on exotic he didn't just make it about winning and losing. Example Pies up by 5 goals last minute of game he needs Pendlebury 1 more possession so kicks it backwards to him when free man in goal square

By betting on exotic he didn't just make it about winning and losing. Example Pies up by 5 goals last minute of game he needs Pendlebury 1 more possession so kicks it backwards to him when free man in goal square
The amount of speculation in this thread (not just from you kaiser) is amusing. I don't understand what purpose it serves but to get people more outraged about it - when the investigation is now complete and the punishment has been issued.

Jeez... who wouldve thought anyone could even come close to our 'most players banned on average for a year' trophy!
But But Bucks claim they have a great culture....think events over last few years say the opposite, no matter what the SPIN is here, or from Eddie and his bunch of yes men

The amount of speculation in this thread (not just from you kaiser) is amusing. I don't understand what purpose it serves but to get people more outraged about it - when the investigation is now complete and the punishment has been issued.
How is that speculating? Hell he could have bet on a 3 goal 1st half on himself and hit it with the torpedo goal

Deflections? 😂🤣

This isn't a right/wrong situation where Stephenson is in the **** and that's all that matters.

He's been punished, rightfully so. I don't know of anyone who thinks he shouldn't have been. He's an absolute dickhead and the majority of the Collingwood fanbase - at least those I've seen and talked to - are filthy on the kid for being a careless moron. I even know of some who think he should've gotten a longer spell.

But if you think that's where the discussion ends and that we shouldn't be talking about things AFL's relationship with gambling or the overall issue of gambling in sport - including athletes - then you're either wilfully ignorant or completely naive.
"Kid did wrong, the more serious issue is at AFL level, players at every club do the same thing" is a long way from "he's an absolute dickhead, careless moron, etc." from the post above.

After the backpedal I'd say you've got it right - the AFL's relationship with gambling is a bit of an issue. I really don't agree with the original assertion that it's a bigger issue than Stephenson betting on games, or that players from every other club bet on games though.

How is that speculating? Hell he could have bet on a 3 goal 1st half on himself and hit it with the torpedo goal

To be honest - and? If he’s betting on positive outcomes I see that as far less of a heinous crime then if he’s trying to bet on a losing result for his team.

I'm curious why the police aren't involved and how the AFL can seemingly control these issues with a slap on the wrist and bogus sob story of a guilty conscience? What he did was illegal. It may have been on the smaller end of the scale (if you believe what was reported) and he was lucky to have been caught before it escalated. Imagine if he bragged to a scaley mate instead of a team mate? He'd be on the hook for life.

I care that the sport I love, Aussie Rules, is not open to corruption. I don't trust the governing body. The AFL has repeatedly shown it's grubby ways when protecting it's 'brand'. It has it's army of media sycophants to do it's bidding. Where are the actual authorities (Police, Anti-corruption agencies) in all this? Ryan Tandy got a 6 month correction order and lifetime ban for spot fixing in the NRL (timing of the first score). Token bans do nothing, that is why we will continue to see these types of incidents.

I'm not looking for Stephenson to be the scapegoat, but going forward, any evidence of spot fixing (ie betting in a game that you are involved in as player or official) should incur a lifetime ban. Full stop. The AFL is not fit to govern if it won't protect the game.

Maybe the kid as got a gambling problem and thought by self reporting he would get a first strike and rehab, you know, like the druggies get.

To be honest - and? If he’s betting on positive outcomes I see that as far less of a heinous crime then if he’s trying to bet on a losing result for his team.

It is pretty concerning as far as the implications go. He is just a kid and it was probably just a stupid thing he did. But the potential for this to be something major is there and it is also a concern (if anyone cared anymore about AFL ethics) that the Pies and the AFL got together and worked out a punishment that conveniently lets him play finals. So I might speculate that there is more to it, which is why the Pies were able to be in a dialogue in the first place.

This is the problem that cricket has to the point where fans don't trust the results are not manipulated.

"Kid did wrong, the more serious issue is at AFL level, players at every club do the same thing" is a long way from "he's an absolute dickhead, careless moron, etc." from the post above.

After the backpedal I'd say you've got it right - the AFL's relationship with gambling is a bit of an issue. I really don't agree with the original assertion that it's a bigger issue than Stephenson betting on games, or that players from every other club bet on games though.
If you actually follow my posts throughout the thread there's no backpedal whatsoever.

As for what's a "bigger issue" it depends on the context. Stephenson's actions are certainly big - but they've now been dealt with, case more or less closed given the punishment has been handed down.

Surely now is the time for serious conversations about the AFL's relationship with gambling? Or do we just park it because we must wave our fingers disapprovingly at Stephenson?

Just like losing the licence for drink driving! "Its the first time I have ever driven under the influence Officer" just down right unlucky. same as flog jockey damian oliver bet on another horse, wins 10k (really 80k ) donates 10 k to charity, first bet he has had in his life , what a fooking joke the lying r slickers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

D
Glad to see potential match fixing getting the punishment it deserved.

But also a bit sad that you get a greater punishment for betting $36 than you do for assaulting a player on the field and breaking his jaw.
O you really believe it was only $36?

If you actually follow my posts throughout the thread there's no backpedal whatsoever.

As for what's a "bigger issue" it depends on the context. Stephenson's actions are certainly big - but they've now been dealt with, case more or less closed given the punishment has been handed down.

Surely now is the time for serious conversations about the AFL's relationship with gambling? Or do we just park it because we must wave our fingers disapprovingly at Stephenson?
lol, who are you, ernest hemingway !?!?

Wow....and you Collingwood supporters wonder why the rest of the comp hates you!

I don’t wonder at all, I embrace it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back