Autopsy Swans lose to Fremantle by 1 point - Round 18

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty sure Clarke was involved in the 2-3 great handball-chains that got us moving beautifully through the middle at times. Trouser stretching stuff that is all too rare from the Swans. Totally worth keeping. I think He, COR and Fox are the ones to get us moving and playing attacking footy at times. MORE !
I’m glad you mentioned Fox, I thought he was good. I really only had a couple of non-performers tonight but that wasn’t a bad game from him. I love watching him carve it up in the guts in the NEAFL and wonder why he doesn’t get the opportunity at AFL level.

But you’re happy to drop Clarke after one game back? Can’t have it both ways.

We've seen what Clarke can (or can't) do before. I'd be happy to keep both and get rid of a few others- Hayward being one as he's bereft from confidence

Each to their own. Don't rate him. He tries hard I'll give him that....there's one positive I guess.
Look, he's no All Australian at the moment, but in a midfield that can get as stagnant as a .... he is one of the guys at least capable of getting us moving via hand and run in combination. I think he'll be in and out of the side - but right now he may as well be in. Offering more than Ollie has - by quite a distance.

I was talking about escape criticism stuff...

We get kicked to death each week
I'm sure you can imagine Freo get as much press in Sydney as we do there in the normal course of events.
Is Fyfe back next week? My Supercoach team needs him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happy to win one game for the rest of the season. The tank begins. At least we've got some tough games we can lose for better draft selection. Bring on 2020, reckon we can go alright next season.

Last edited:
McLean - what a great debut given the task he was given.

I find Rowbottom a real surprise packet. His delivery a couple of times today was Buddy like.

Nice hanger from Fox who I thought had his moments.

Parks another good game. Reid too.

We did well without Dawson down back.

Florent and Hayward are in real form dips so we're basically playing two short. Still nearly won.

Blakey was so close on a couple of occasions to really setting the game alight. When he gets it right it'll be good to watch.

The game is never boring with Aliir back there.

Collingwood lost.

Napped passed out it off and woke up to realise no, this was not a bad dream, we actually did lose to a debacle of a team. I maintain that Fremantle really are a disgrace who should be folded. My Fremantle hatred aside, the negatives were glaring. No confidence running through this team, which means no skills. No leadership running through this team, which means no skills. Skills are the backbone of any quality team, and we lacked it from the 150+ gamers down to the most inexperienced. Except a few, which brings me to...

Rowbottom. This kid delivered three of the most sublime kicks inside 50 you could possibly ask for in the first half, none easy kicks to pull off either. I keep harping on about him, but you can just tell when a player has it and when he doesn't. This kid has it, and we have every right to get around a young midfielder who is showing all the signs of being able to help us in our absolute worst area thus far.

McLean. Outstanding debut. Not in terms of output. We were predictably smashed in the ruck (he was giving away half a school ruler in height to Sandilands) but this guy refused to die wondering. Got himself involved and more than proved he belonged in this 22. I said if he's not the most naturally gifted player on the team, he'd make up for it in effort, and he showed that with his 8 tackles and second and third efforts. Good on him.

I'm willing to concede I might have been wrong about O Flo and Wilba. I call them by their nicknames because they are firmly in our best 22 IMO, and a big part of our future, but seeing them live for the first time, it's astounding how rattled they looked. Florent is not the most skilled player, that's been well discussed on here, but one thing I don't think anyone can fault him on is his footy smarts and knowing where to position himself etc. Even that aspect has gone from his game. He was getting caught out of position and had his head proverbially ripped off by his experienced peers multiple times for simply getting lost in the play. That's sad to see for a talented kid. It's possible we let what could've been a 2-3 week spell in the NEAFL to get his confidence back turn into a 5-6 week ordeal that's sapped him of confidence.

Our leaders, Sir Dane aside, ain't **** at the moment and I doubt they will be. Kennedy won't get younger, and Parker can't transport himself back to 2014-2016 when he could actually impact games. Just sad to watch them struggle and end up setting the same example we want our youngsters to avoid.

Good and well to lift and put in admirable performances against the top clubs..and even win the odd one, but acid test for mine was always going to be whether we could back up those admirable performances to pull out consistent wins against the lower rung - mid tier teams if we want to be seen as legit contenders again. The last 2 wks has simply confirmed to me a reversion to the mean from where we started. List management + continued player/skills development will be critical over next 1-2 yrs. Coaching will be limited by these constraints.

Last edited:
At the game so missed a fair bit of nitty gritty but will watch replay.

Thoughts from the game

-could not have been more impressed with rowbottom. So clean and his footskills were surprisingly good

-rampe does not lose a contest. Severely underrated

-papley had a bizzare game..looked dangerous but made some terrible decisions

-clark looked ok. Can only really remember one poor kick which is excellent by his standards

At the game so missed a fair bit of nitty gritty but will watch replay.

Thoughts from the game

-could not have been more impressed with rowbottom. So clean and his footskills were surprisingly good

-rampe does not lose a contest. Severely underrated

-papley had a bizzare game..looked dangerous but made some terrible decisions

-clark looked ok. Can only really remember one poor kick which is excellent by his standards

Papley has been crap the last month. Let's call a spade a spade. I know he's young, but he's in our leadership group. If he's mature enough to be in the leadership group then he's mature enough for us to not have to cop games like we have from Paps the last three weeks. The bye came at a **** time for quite a few Swans who were on rolls, Papley one of them. I back him to get back to his best.

You're right about Sir Dane, who is like ******** teflon in our back-line, and I thought COR was also very solid.

Papley has been crap the last month. Let's call a spade a spade. I know he's young, but he's in our leadership group. If he's mature enough to be in the leadership group then he's mature enough for us to not have to cop games like we have from Paps the last three weeks. The bye came at a **** time for quite a few Swans who were on rolls, Papley one of them. I back him to get back to his best.

You're right about Sir Dane, who is like ******** teflon in our back-line, and I thought COR was also very solid.
COR has improved out of sight... i didnt hate paps game but too often he made the wrong call, he passed when he should have had a shot, he took the shot when he should have passed. Bizzare game. Dont get me wrong, he wasnt great, but a few different decisions and his game would have looked vastly different

COR has improved out of sight... i didnt hate paps game but too often he made the wrong call, he passed when he should have had a shot, he took the shot when he should have passed. Bizzare game. Dont get me wrong, he wasnt great, but a few different decisions and his game would have looked vastly different

Yeah it would be fine if it were just isolated, but it's become the story of Papley's form on a weekly basis since the bye. He's ebbing and flowing between being indecisive and doubting himself, and biting off more than he can chew, and not enough in between!

Those few weeks where nearly all of our youngsters were on song simultaneously were a joy to witness, but I did say to enjoy it while we had it as it wouldn't last long. With every boom there's a ka-boom...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back