Coathanger

Club Legend
Dec 1, 2006
Cairns
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
NY Yankees,Virginia Cavaliers
I’m getting very annoyed with the lack of commitment for Roughy to have a farewell game next weekend.
It’s flat out disrespectful to a club legend and captain of this great club, to string this decision out.
It’s only the Suns for Christ sake, my uncle And aunty could kick two goals each against them at present.

Not many players of his standing in the game would go back to the VFL without crying/sooking and stick out the rest of the season.

The man is a top shelf , absolute gun, on and off the field.
The club is embarrassing itself by not locking this game in weeks ago.

GET IT DONE......

One of our connected posters told us it will happen against the Suns.

Patience grasshopper, they were never going to announce it before tonight’s game.

Justin Reeves was just on SEN and reading between the lines, it seems 99% sure that Roughy will get a farewell game.

It's sounds like the reason there hasn't been anything definitive is more because they don't want to promise anything for next week, before this round of matches are complete.

I’m getting very annoyed with the lack of commitment for Roughy to have a farewell game next weekend.
It’s flat out disrespectful to a club legend and captain of this great club, to string this decision out.
It’s only the Suns for Christ sake, my uncle And aunty could kick two goals each against them at present.

Not many players of his standing in the game would go back to the VFL without crying/sooking and stick out the rest of the season.

GET IT DONE......
It’d be pretty embarrassing if they announced he was playing weeks out from the game and the worst happened and Rough got injured and couldn’t play it.

Our club and our people are pragmatic and won’t be pressured by AFL media nuffies.

If Rough is good to go next week, then he’ll play.

Getting sick of everyone lecturing us...while also reminding us we have a gazillion 30 year olds on the list.

And FFS didnt hodge got a farewell game. Howd that go? No one actually remembers for all the bellyaching about Roughy

And if it was a big issue among our fans...hoe come this thread only just arrived?

Finals are still a possibility and every opponent needs to be treated with full respect. We also need a percentage boosting win.

I love Roughy as much as anyone - but I honestly think it should be best 22 next week.

Tbh, Roughy was a massive inspiration to all of our fans, the way he fought his cancer and managed to follow his dream of playing footy again. The least they could do is to allow one last game as a kudos to the fans. Yeah, success is great, but there's more to life to footy, the club is nothing without its fans, and this would be a great reward to see a legend part ways, doing what he does best, getting his hands on the leather and not his arse on a buggy around the ground.

Roughy in for Cousins or Hanrahan for me, its not like one player's gonna cost us percentage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know this is a sensitive topic so I deleted this same post a week ago.....I was pissed off to hear the Commentary team talk about tonight actually.
Would Roughy want a charity game?
A.F.L. is tough, your career can end at any stage in any game. My perspective may be diluted because I'm an out of country fan of the man, but if you're not in the best 22, and you are a bonified club champion...would you want your last game to have been played on merit....or for charity?

If we can't beat Gold Coast with Roughy (who will play out of his skin if it's his final game) then we don't deserve to play finals anyway.

If he wants it, give it to him.

Roughy will get his farewell game, if he wants it. Clarko would never declare it before the week of the game anyway.

Remember, he wouldn't confirm CJ was playing before boarding the flight on Thursday despite telling CJ on Wednesday about his debut.

Clarko and the club give nothing away.....and I love that.

GET IT DONE......
If they'd cry/sook & sit out the rest of the season then they're not of his standing. Comment is self-defeating...

It isn't the club embarrassing itself in this conversation... :oops: 😬

Ordinarily I'd be ambivalent about a veteran player who's no longer best 22 receiving a farewell game, but in Roughy's case it really would be a shame not to have one given the extra adversity he's faced. Different story if the club know's he'll be accepting an offer to play elsewhere next year, though even in that case it could be argued Hawthorn fans still deserve the opportunity to give him a sendoff.

Roughy will get his farewell game, if he wants it. Clarko would never declare it before the week of the game anyway.

Remember, he wouldn't confirm CJ was playing before boarding the flight on Thursday despite telling CJ on Wednesday about his debut.

Clarko and the club give nothing away.....and I love that.
Yeah I think it’s been overlooked whether Rough actually wants a farewell or not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back