The Donny Pyke Farewell Tour

CrowBloke

I’ve read this myth on this forum a few times now but have never seen or read any evidence of its truth.

Can someone, anyone share any legitimacy of this where Don Pyke blamed the players on the 2017 Grand Final loss or is it just another myth someone has made up to sink the boots into the coach?

Can someone please provide any evidence to these events on GF day 2017.

Listen to any of his press conferences.

Also the camp was in response to the players being mentally soft of GF day and to toughen them up. You can't say he had nothing to do with that camp.

Listen to any of his press conferences.

Also the camp was in response to the players being mentally soft of GF day and to toughen them up. You can't say he had nothing to do with that camp.

Do you mean the GF press conference or every press conference because I’ve listen to many and yet to here it?

Can you be more specific in that area.

The camp was 100% needed. It was simply poorly executed by unprofessional and inexperienced amateurs.

That’s Burton and Fagan’s area. Not Pyke. Pyke identified a weakness, requested a program to fix it and Burton and Fagan couldn't implement the plan.

Nothing to do with Pyke.

CrowBloke
2) I’ve read this myth on this forum a few times now but have never seen or read any evidence of its truth. Can someone, anyone share any legitimacy of this where Don Pyke blamed the players on the 2017 Grand Final loss or is it just another myth someone has made up to sink the boots into the coach?
1) Can someone please provide any evidence to these events on GF day 2017.
They're good questions.
1) I'll try, but it didn't happen on GF day.
2) Calling it a 'myth' doesn't make it so. I don't recall any presser where Pyke claimed the GF loss was the players' fault. It's more his own actions and comments since then.
The strongest evidence that Pyke blamed the players for the loss was to make them endure the now-reviled Collective Minds Camp. Their title alone suggests that they focus upon minds/mindset.
Question: Why put the players through that?
Answer: They lost the GF as a result of their mental weakness. It was their fault. They need to toughen up, mentally.
The last part of that might be true ie the Crows lack mental toughness and have done since the GF loss, but I'm trying to look at blame.
Pyke did not address:
--- the player disunity around Lever's and McGovern's unsettling greed and complaints. Both were unhappy, both whinged about their contracts, and it must have been an unwelcome distraction internally.
--- his own deficiencies nor those of his assistants, nor the Burton/Hass hamstring fitness fiasco. Why not? Well, the message is that he/his assistants/Burton-Hass did nothing wrong and don't need to be held accountable nor made responsible. There was no external review of the Coach or Assistants. It was the players' fault.
--- his own refusal to adapt or make game-changes on the run. After a loss, he implies again and again via player selection and post-game comments that he has a winning game plan (the mantra "playing our way"). When the players follow the plan, they win. When they don't, they lose. The conclusion is it's not the plan, but a failure to execute. It's the players' fault.
It's self-fulfilling bullshit eg
"Good win, we got back to playing our way".
"Bad loss, we'll have a look at why we strayed from playing our way", fkme :mad:.

The most glaring example comes from his latest post-Pies loss presser.
Another poster (sorry for not remembering who you are) pointed out that he was asked about whether it was the game plan, or player execution. Pyke obfuscated, but the message was clear. It was the players' fault.

Please think: when have you ever heard Pyke say that he needs to take a long hard look at what he has done ie take responsibility himself and make himself/assistants accountable?(**below)
Why didn't he send himself and his mob of Crows' Old Boys Assistants to some kind of mind-strengthening Camp? How is it even possible that Burton got promoted ffs, Hass is still there messing with the players' fitness, and Hart is still our Forward Coach?
Pyke didn't need to make changes. It's not his or Burton-Hass' or Hart's fault. It's the players' fault.
** At Richmond and Collingwood and WCE, all 3 Coaches were made to look at their roles and behaviours, and made positive changes accordingly. Pyke 2017 = Pyke 2019, no change/s. Same selection policies, same emotionless palaver at pressers, same crap, same bucket.

The camp was 100% needed. It was simply poorly executed by unprofessional and inexperienced amateurs.
The camp was needed. The players were mentally weak = they lost the GF. It was their fault.
Nothing wrong with the camp, except it was "poorly executed by unprofessional and inexperienced amateurs".
It's not my game plan, it's poor player execution.

You're singing the Pyke song, in harmony.
Edit: Apologies, that reads harsher than I intend. You said:
Pyke identified a weakness, requested a program to fix it and Burton and Fagan couldn't implement the plan.
Yes, but Fagan and Burton are still there, making the same mistakes. No accountability @ them for the wreck caused by that Camp. The Club/Pyke/Burton blamed Collective Minds publicly, and refused to take the blame themselves.

Last edited:
The camp was needed. The players were mentally weak = they lost the GF. It was their fault.
Nothing wrong with the camp, except it was "poorly executed by unprofessional and inexperienced amateurs".
It's not my game plan, it's poor player execution.

You're singing the Pyke song, in harmony.

So you blame Pyke?

So you blame Pyke?
Tell you what; don't put words in my mouth and I'll reciprocate, deal? :thumbsu:
Please read the edited post.

I blame Pyke, the Club Admin (Fagan/Chapman/Roo), Collective minds, Burton-Hass, Campo, Hart AND the players.
They have all played their parts in the GF failure and the mess since then. The only ones copping heat/blame are the players. It's clear from Selection policies, presser comments, plus the fact that every one of the non-players who have contributed to the GF-2018-2019 failures are still there!
Any reasonable business wanting to succeed would have sacked some of them, by now.

Tell you what; don't put words in my mouth and I'll reciprocate, deal? :thumbsu:
Please read the edited post.

I blame Pyke, the Club Admin (Fagan/Chapman/Roo), Collective minds, Burton-Hass, Campo, Hart AND the players.
They have all played their parts in the GF failure and the mess since then. The only ones copping heat/blame are the players. It's clear from Selection policies, presser comments, plus the fact that every one of the non-players who have contributed to the GF-2018-2019 failures are still there!
Any reasonable business wanting to succeed would have sacked some of them, by now.

Hang on a second champ...

You made a very sweeping and unattainable statement that Don Pyke blamed the players in losing the 2017 Grand Final without offering any clear cut evidence.

Everything you said was hearsay that only lead to individual interpretation. The text you posted didn’t provide any evidence, but pure speculation and bias meaning.

And now you are accusing me of putting words into your mouth?

Really?

The real question is who do we replace him with? Getting rid of him, camporeale, hart and godden is a start but who fills their positions.?
Imo we need somebody thats won a premiership as a coach. We have nobody currently that has achieved it at afl level.

The real question is who do we replace him with? Getting rid of him, camporeale, hart and godden is a start but who fills their positions.?
Imo we need somebody thats won a premiership as a coach. We have nobody currently that has achieved it at afl level.
Goodwin
Bassett
Thomspon
Rutten
😊

Defensive coach: Josh Gibson
Forward Coach: Peter Sumich and senior assistant
Midfield coach: Marty Mattner
Ruck: Matthew Clarke

Who out there has phil walsh like traits..that is your guy then let them assemble their coaching panel. Better to suffer payout of contracts now and try to get a better crew in than hang on and further damage the club

Seriously, I hope we look at Sumich, Burns, Richardson and someone recently out of the game from a successful club such as Roughead or McVeigh

I think Scott Burns might be the man. Has done his apprenticeship under Clarkson, but will get overlooked as Clarko's successor in favour of Mitchell.

And he was also the one that didn't rate our list, so we know he is switched on...

They're good questions.
1) I'll try, but it didn't happen on GF day.
2) Calling it a 'myth' doesn't make it so. I don't recall any presser where Pyke claimed the GF loss was the players' fault. It's more his own actions and comments since then.
The strongest evidence that Pyke blamed the players for the loss was to make them endure the now-reviled Collective Minds Camp. Their title alone suggests that they focus upon minds/mindset.
Question: Why put the players through that?
Answer: They lost the GF as a result of their mental weakness. It was their fault. They need to toughen up, mentally.
The last part of that might be true ie the Crows lack mental toughness and have done since the GF loss, but I'm trying to look at blame.
Pyke did not address:
--- the player disunity around Lever's and McGovern's unsettling greed and complaints. Both were unhappy, both whinged about their contracts, and it must have been an unwelcome distraction internally.
--- his own deficiencies nor those of his assistants, nor the Burton/Hass hamstring fitness fiasco. Why not? Well, the message is that he/his assistants/Burton-Hass did nothing wrong and don't need to be held accountable nor made responsible. There was no external review of the Coach or Assistants. It was the players' fault.
--- his own refusal to adapt or make game-changes on the run. After a loss, he implies again and again via player selection and post-game comments that he has a winning game plan (the mantra "playing our way"). When the players follow the plan, they win. When they don't, they lose. The conclusion is it's not the plan, but a failure to execute. It's the players' fault.
It's self-fulfilling bulls**t eg
"Good win, we got back to playing our way".
"Bad loss, we'll have a look at why we strayed from playing our way", fkme :mad:.

The most glaring example comes from his latest post-Pies loss presser.
Another poster (sorry for not remembering who you are) pointed out that he was asked about whether it was the game plan, or player execution. Pyke obfuscated, but the message was clear. It was the players' fault.

Please think: when have you ever heard Pyke say that he needs to take a long hard look at what he has done ie take responsibility himself and make himself/assistants accountable?(**below)
Why didn't he send himself and his mob of Crows' Old Boys Assistants to some kind of mind-strengthening Camp? How is it even possible that Burton got promoted ffs, Hass is still there messing with the players' fitness, and Hart is still our Forward Coach?
Pyke didn't need to make changes. It's not his or Burton-Hass' or Hart's fault. It's the players' fault.
** At Richmond and Collingwood and WCE, all 3 Coaches were made to look at their roles and behaviours, and made positive changes accordingly. Pyke 2017 = Pyke 2019, no change/s. Same selection policies, same emotionless palaver at pressers, same crap, same bucket.

This is crazy logic. Don Pyke does many things as coach in attempt to improve the team. Every single decision he makes has that aim. Improving mental toughness, resilience, skills, fitness, all of it. To suggest doing any of these things, all of which are mandatory as a coach, means he is blaming the players and not himself is so ludicrous.

Do you also suggest that skills training indicates Pyke placing all the blame on the players? I mean, it must, right? He’s blaming the loss on their lack of skills.

The lack of logic of some is astounding.

--The conclusion is it's not the plan, but a failure to execute. It's the players' fault.
It's self-fulfilling bulls**t eg
It is the players fault when a foot pass misses a target by coo-ee? - Think Hartigan, Smith, Laird et al.
You cannot blame the coach for that.
Then there are the dumb decision makers where handballing to a team mate under more pressure becomes the norm. How many coaches are responsible for such absurdity and we see it time and time again?

Don't get me wrong, I think Pyke must go because he's obviously lost a team who cannot win on their own dung heap time and again.

And he was also the one that didn't rate our list, so we know he is switched on...

I don’t know about that. I think Sanderson demonstrated our list was better than solid at the end of 2011. Unfortunately for Sanderson he didn’t quite have the ability to harness the talent, hence he was cut.

All I know is there are some people to avoid

Any ex Crows players or coaches
Brad Scott
Brendon Bolton
Old stooges like Malthouse, Matthews, Wade, etc
Scott Watters and Mark Neeld
Alan Richardson (but I'd have him as an assistant)
Ken Hinkley
Leon Cameron (but I'd have him as an assistant)

Anyone else should be in the running

All I know is there are some people to avoid

Any ex Crows players or coaches
Brad Scott
Brendon Bolton
Old stooges like Malthouse, Matthews, Wade, etc
Scott Watters and Mark Neeld
Alan Richardson (but I'd have him as an assistant)
Ken Hinkley
Leon Cameron (but I'd have him as an assistant)

Anyone else should be in the running

Please add Voss to the list - thanks.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The guy who we all thought was going to turn the club around came from our biggest rivals.

I reckon having Bucky as head of the review would be great, but yep throw in some interstate influences.

Throw in someone like Leigh Matthews and Bomber Thompson maybe even a recent past player who is a leader say Nick Riewoldt/Matthew Pavlich

I'm not sure who is leading the race to replace Pyke ... But why would we rule out anyone at this stage?

I'm not convinced we need experience as much as we need some passion and heart. Vision and bravery rank higher for me than solid and steady.

Voss? Bassett? Seems like an out there idea ... But maybe that's what we need.

I'm not against Scott. I think he showed a lot during his time at North. He dealt with the rejuvenation of the list brilliantly.

Putting a real Head of Football in place of joke that is Brett Burton, must rank almost as highly as finding a coach!!

Sent using Tapatalk App on Android.

Back