Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about Geelong? Comparing a whole state, with 2 distinct population centres (about evenly divided between North and South) with one single city (albeit a very big city) for stadium needs is just plain silly. I think it's blindingly obvious that a Tasmanian AFL team would have to split games between Hobart and Launceston to get statewide support, to service both the population bases of the state, maximise attendances and enhance the viability of the club.
More then half - 13,825 seats to be exact and a record crowd of 20,971. Plenty of room for expansion.
All seated?? Have you not noticed the big grassy hill straight across from the TV cameras? It has about the same seating of York Park and despite claiming a capacity of 19,500, it's record crowd is just a touch over 18,000 which would be more like it's true capacity.

Bellerive is in a terrible location (God knows why it was ever chosen for Hobart's main stadium) and I notice the Age article mentions developing a new stadium at Macquarie Point. Given the strong State Gov't backing for a Tasmanian AFL club, they will contribute much of the money for any new stadium and/or existing stadium upgrades in return for having their own AFL club.
I wasn't sure of the seating at hobart so thanks for the heads up.

None of this disproves what I said. There are 2 underdeveloped stadiums one of which is apparently not fit for purpose and needs to be moved.

If filling a 20,000 seat stadium every second week was a recipe for success then teams like North, St Kilda and Bulldogs would still be at their home grounds and not being propped up by the AFL.

In Tassie you'd be looking at 5 or 6 games per year at each stadium - one game per month. That's simply not economically viable especially when both stadiums need so much money put in them to bring them up to standard and then maintain them year on year.

Who here is from Tassie?

What’s your feeling on Tassie folk switching their allegiance from their current AFL club to the new one?

Reckon it’s a given, 99% of supporters will just do it? 50%?

There’s some ridiculous number of Tasweigiens who are AFL club members at the moment.
I would say it's 50/50,although a lot of people have said they would make a Tassie team their second team.

Who here is from Tassie?

What’s your feeling on Tassie folk switching their allegiance from their current AFL club to the new one?

There’s some ridiculous number of Tasweigiens who are AFL club members at the moment.
Going off eslwwhere probably 40/60.

Plenty of dyed in the wool western Sydney folk stayed with their original clubs. And they are proud Western Sydney people.

I'm guessing the same in GC.

[/QUOTE]
Who here is from Tassie?

Yep I am .....there are some passionate supporters here who will stick with there current team but would also become members of a Tasmanian team.

This would change fairly quickly though and support would lock in behind the new one

Well seing as it’s effectively the Tasmanian state government that are the ones applying for the license I would say it would be far more financially viable and stable then gws and the suns will ever be the team would be based in Hobart and split home games between north and south it’s not rocket science 👍

So in reality its more money ripped out of the mainland taxpayer.

Who here is from Tassie?

I'd be a 55% North supporter, 45% Tasmania supporter with a membership to both teams. I'd go to my regular North home games in Melbourne (where I work/live), and Tasmania's away games in Melbourne. I'd also probably get to one or two Tasmania home games, when I'm down visiting family.

By jingo by jango by crikey, more footy than I can shake a stick at. It's not really about me and my generation though, and those older than me. Every new generation from now on isn't going to grow up with an existing side, and will support Tassie by default. A state of 500,000 footy supporters with only a single AFL team sounds like a pretty good idea to me.

I think it goes without saying that Bellerive and York Park would go through some pretty major upgrades if a bid was successful.
Yes to York Park, but I noticed in that Age article - "... There is strong support for the establishment of a new stadium and training facility at Macquarie Point ..."

Bellevire Oval is in a terrible location (a really dumb choice to develop as a major stadium). In complete contrast, Macquarie Point is presently an industrial waterside area smack bang right next to the city centre and would be a brilliant location for a new stadium and transform the Hobart city centre and waterside - it would be very attractive for 'footy tourists'.

I'd be a 55% North supporter, 45% Tasmania supporter with a membership to both teams. I'd go to my regular North home games in Melbourne (where I work/live), and Tasmania's away games in Melbourne. I'd also probably get to one or two Tasmania home games, when I'm down visiting family.

By jingo by jango by crikey, more footy than I can shake a stick at. It's not really about me and my generation though, and those older than me. Every new generation from now on isn't going to grow up with an existing side, and will support Tassie by default. A state of 500,000 footy supporters with only a single AFL team sounds like a pretty good idea to me.

Yeah I’m not sure about people saying it can’t work. They’ll have enough supporters. As for players, they simply have to be well run and successful. Players don’t leave those clubs.

BTW, you might plan to be a 50/50 supporter, but that won’t happen! When they play each other you’ll find yourself wanting one to win. And like it or not, that’ll be your team!

I'm not sure how well 2 grounds would go. Considering 9 Melbourne clubs play out of 2 grounds it would be hard to justify it.

York Park has a 21,000 capacity with about half of that seated.

Bellerive is about 20,000 which I think is all seated.

I'm not sure if 20,000 per game is enough to sustain a club without trying to increase capacity and spreading that money over 2 stadiums.

Doesn't seem feasible.
It’s the other way around York park would be 98% seated a lot of it is just the cheap temporary
So in reality its more money ripped out of the mainland taxpayer.
yeah good on you mate who are you the treasure😂 Tasmania is booming at the moment the highest growth rate in country for property construction and tourism our government is giving 7 million a year to hawthorn and norf for very little in return they can see the benefits a local team would bring to the state!

BTW, you might plan to be a 50/50 supporter, but that won’t happen! When they play each other you’ll find yourself wanting one to win. And like it or not, that’ll be your team!

I didn't say 50/50, I said 55/45. I want to see North Melbourne #5 before I want to see Tasmania #1. After #5, it's fair game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wasn't sure of the seating at hobart so thanks for the heads up.

None of this disproves what I said. There are 2 underdeveloped stadiums one of which is apparently not fit for purpose and needs to be moved.

If filling a 20,000 seat stadium every second week was a recipe for success then teams like North, St Kilda and Bulldogs would still be at their home grounds and not being propped up by the AFL.

In Tassie you'd be looking at 5 or 6 games per year at each stadium - one game per month. That's simply not economically viable especially when both stadiums need so much money put in them to bring them up to standard and then maintain them year on year.
Both the stadiums
Great. Just what the AFL needs.

Another minnow club to drain the talent and money from rest of the comp

:rolleyes:
hawthorn were broke when they first came to Tasmania good luck making 4 million a year playing the low drawing interstate clubs in Melbourne again why do you think Kennett is trying every trick in the book to try and keep you guys down here 😂

B
Bellerive only has 12000 seats and a capacity for 19500,the plan is for 15000 eatra seats for each or for Hobart to build a new stadium at Macquarie point.
I can see Macquarie point happing if we get a license keep the cricket at Bellerive York park would only need a minor upgrade play 8 games a year at the new stadium the remainder against the lower drawing teams at York park !

Since the team is likely to be based in Hobart, I thought it would be interesting to look at where the current crop of Tassie AFL players hail from. I've taken the team I listed earlier in this thread for reference and added a few more Tasmanians to fill it out.

FB: Jake Kolodjashnij (Launceston), Liam Jones (Hobart), Grant Birchall (Devonport)
HB: Kade Kolodjashnij (Launceston), Alex Pearce (Devonport), Jeremy Howe (Hobart)
C: Mitch Robinson (Hobart), Hugh Greenwood (Hobart), Lachie Weller (Burnie)
HF: Chayce Jones (Launceston), Jack Riewoldt (Hobart), Levi Casboult (Hobart)
FF: Brody Mihocek (Burnie), Ben Brown (Devonport), Robbie Fox (Burnie)
Ruc: Tom Bellchambers (Launceston), Aaron Hall (Hobart), Tarryn Thomas (Launceston)
Int: Toby Nankervis (Launceston), Hugh Dixon (Hobart), Maverick Weller (Burnie), Jackson Thurlow (Launceston)

Hobart: 8/22 (36%)
Launceston: 7/22 (32%)
Burnie: 4/22 (18%)
Devonport: 3/22 (14%)

Would the AFL create a supporting academy ala GC and GWS?
You'd think they would have to as there wouldn't be many players who are draft eligible from an NGA type of academy. As far as I'm aware, only Liam Jones and Tarryn Thomas are indigenous from the players listed above so that really limits their options. It would have to be a full state academy.

Great. Just what the AFL needs.

Another minnow club to drain the talent and money from rest of the comp

:rolleyes:
Didn't Gil say earlier this week that St Kilda were as much of a drain on the competition as Gold Coast and GWS? Why doesn't anybody ever talk about relocating the Saints?

Tradition.
Fitzroy were a foundation club of the competition without 100 years history in the league yet the AFL got rid of them due to their financial woes. I know things were different in the 90s but North Melbourne seem to cop it a lot more than St Kilda do when relocation is discussed these days and I don't understand why.

It’s the other way around York park would be 98% seated a lot of it is just the cheap temporary

yeah good on you mate who are you the treasure😂 Tasmania is booming at the moment the highest growth rate in country for property construction and tourism our government is giving 7 million a year to hawthorn and norf for very little in return they can see the benefits a local team would bring to the state!
Tasmania might be doing well at the moment but let's not pretend they're some sort of economic juggernaut.

WA built a 60,000 seat stadium for $1.6b. This stadium gets used every week for footy in the AFL season. We have to use it for concerts, RL, Rugby, soccer, probably all the cricket to make it viable. But we have the population to do this. Perth has 4 times the population of Tasmania.

If Tasmania build a new stadium in Hobart as is being suggested, even if it has a 30,000 seat capacity it will still cost half a billion dollars, conservatively.

The idea that you would then use it for 6 games of AFL (the other half played up north), maybe one test match and a couple of one dayers is laughable.

Fitzroy were a foundation club of the competition without 100 years history in the league yet the AFL got rid of them due to their financial woes. I know things were different in the 90s but North Melbourne seem to cop it a lot more than St Kilda do when relocation is discussed these days and I don't understand why.
With a lot of bad press.

The media will never call for the death or removal of a Victorian club again.

Suns are easy targets right now and I'm sure we will get a turn shortly.

Thing is unless a team moves themselves it'll never happen no matter what opposition fans call for.

No interstate side will be shut down nor will a Victorian side.

How would membership work between the split grounds?
Would they offer a full season of Home games or sell them by the venue only?
Really love the idea and hope it gets the nod. Tasmania deserve their own team not a bunch of blow ins they they currently have

How would membership work between the split grounds?
Would they offer a full season of Home games or sell them by the venue only?
Really love the idea and hope it gets the nod. Tasmania deserve their own team not a bunch of blow ins they they currently have
For the Giants you have full season, Sydney only and Canberra only (as well as other different types).
Would think Tassie would work similar.

hawthorn were broke when they first came to Tasmania
No, they weren't. :rolleyes:

Hawthorn have been in great shape financially over the past 20 years.

good luck making 4 million a year playing the low drawing interstate clubs in Melbourne again why do you think Kennett is trying every trick in the book to try and keep you guys down here 😂
Yep, the Hawks have been one of the best run clubs in the country, always punching well above their weight. Especially in comparison to your Saints who receive GWS/Gold Coast levels of funding from the Gill administration.

Amazing to think St Kilda and Hawthorn once had a shared arrangement for Tassie home games, but the Saints pulled the pin which opened the door for Hawthorn's lucrative 4 game deal. Our clubs were also co-tenants at Waverley and then St Kilda rushed into a disastrous long-term deal with Marvel Stadium. One bad decision after another... 😂

Our Tassie arrangement was brilliant. But all good things must come to an end. If & when it happens, we'll go back to playing 11 home games in Melbourne and we'll get ourselves a new jumper sponsor. Most Hawks fans I know are hoping this happens.

Here's the thing: if Tassie ever gets a stand alone team, they won't win 77% of their home games like Hawthorn have done from 2007-2019.

... and who will you barrack for? Saints or Devils?

Last edited:
For the Giants you have full season, Sydney only and Canberra only (as well as other different types).
Would think Tassie would work similar.
Thought that would be the case. Pretty sure my folks and brothers have the GWS Canberra only memberships still as they go to all the games there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back