Contenders and Pretenders 2019 ( edited - Page 32 current discussion ) Are Richmond now the team to beat?

Are Richmond the new Premiership Favourites?

• Yes. The Dominant team and rule at Fortress G - Too good!

Votes: 128 34.6%
  • No. Geelong will roll on once more

Votes: 17 4.6%
  • West Coast to go Back to Back

Votes: 105 28.4%
  • Collingwood will regroup and Redeem themselves

Votes: 38 10.3%
  • GWS will break through for their first flag

Votes: 6 1.6%
  • Brisbane will break the hearts of many

Votes: 59 15.9%
  • Essendon will emerge

Votes: 17 4.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Even if West Coast somehow got up tonight on that form they wouldn't get near anyone in the top 4. Of course things can change, especially with the two week lay off. But that was insipid.

On the flip side Hawthorn were hecken brilliant.

Geelong vs Collingwood - Collingwood
Brisbane vs Richmond - Richmond
WCE vs Essendon - If they play like tonight, Essendon. Will tip the Eagles at home against my better judgement
GWS vs Dogs - GWS

Geelong vs WCE - Geelong
Brisbane vs GWS - GWS

Collingwood vs GWS - Collingwood
Richmond vs Geelong - Richmond

Collingwood vs Richmond - Richdemption. Not. Piedemption.

Collingwood 2019 Premiers.

WCE vs Essendon - If they play like tonight, Essendon. Will tip the Eagles at home against my better judgement
GWS vs Dogs - GWS

Geelong vs WCE - Geelong
Brisbane vs GWS - GWS

You change your tune on a day by day basis. At least I called my premier at the start of the year and stuck with it.

GWS vs Dogs - GWS

Geelong vs WCE - Geelong
Brisbane vs GWS - GWS

You had to play your grand final.

Sure, but you’ve been wrong every year since 2011.
You sure about that? The only years I've been confident of saluting were 2007, 2011, 2013 and this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since the Hawks got up tonight have we magically played two extra games against top eight teams and thus our draw is harder than it was in those heady days of early this afternoon ... is that the logic being used here or am I misunderstanding somehow?

My wild prediction for this year is that none of the Top 4 will end up winning the Premiership. We will see how that goes...

Now it looks we'll finish top 4, still wary of all the other sides but I do have some confidence. Again we rely on system not personnel, we're building that game.

At worst we're a shot at it.

Is that all you have catch phrase references? O.k so a professional football club has a system. Thanks for that info

Looking at wikipedia at the moment. In the last 10 or so years, more 2nd or 3rd place wins than anything. Prime positions on the ladder.

10 years is hardly a big enough sample. There's no reason why finishing 1st would be a disadvantage - unless you're Geelong and play a Melbourne team in a QF...

Reevaluating my contender tiers, changes if Tigers miss top 4.

Tier 1: Collingwood/Richmond
Right now I reckon one of these 2 are most likely

Tier 2: Cats/Lions
Great in the H&A but lack of recent finals success for either points me to the above 2 teams being better chances in finals

Tier 3: Eagles
Great team but if they miss top 4, they need to win 4 consecutive finals and probably 3 consecutive away finals, will be very hard.

Tier 4:
The rest. Lotto chances that might cause some upsets and run deep but won't win 4 in a row over all those other teams.

West Coast certainly have cracks. Reckon last year was probably their last chance to win with this team. Kennedy is not what he used to be. Shuey has been found out with the staging and ducking.. like Lindsay Thomas, umpires are scared to pay him a free kick now. Cripps only shows up when they have a 30 point lead. McGovern has been nullified - teams know just not to kick it in his direction and they have no star ruckman.. Lycett leaving and Natinui inured... whoever they have there is a huge downgrade.

The only signs of life on this team are Ryan and Rioli. Without these guys, West Coast would be just stale... Also evident with the flag... no Rioli/Ryan, no flag.

Back