List Mgmt. Carlton's 2019 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

RoyalParade

Cancelled
Feb 19, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Does anyone know where Garcia might go? Could be a great pick up for us, as he would have time to get over the knee.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Arr0w

Just thinking out loud.

What are the chances of us turning our back on the trade for a player thinking we can get a better outcome from the draft?

Just asking for a friend.

Tell your friend that unless the club gets the player/s they want, going to the draft with a mid 1st rounder is still a great outcome, if they can still land some players with later picks/free agents

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Stephens looks like he’s heading up draft boards with post champs form in SA. Could be top 10.

I wonder if Carlton want to spend pick 8 on another winger, to go with LOB, in the draft. We do need more run.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Small forward/midfield project with a top 10 pick was an early trademark of SOS' era at GWS... hopefully he's learned from that given how many got turfed.

Just looking at it from a far i think the 1st trade carlton should be looking at doing is with Brisbane

#8 for #15+#19 and hope to get Papley & Martin for these picks and maybe a 2020 2nd added

1) Papley (and maybe Cameron) for pick 8, with a swap of later picks

2) 2020 1st + 2019/2020 3rd for Martin & Brisbane's 2019 1st

Think that is something we should be looking at.

Eiffel 65

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gryffindor
I’m a bit the same regarding the big fish in the midfield.. Not that fussed. Would like to see natural evolution of existing young midfield players and focus on draft/trading for other positions.

Setterfield, Kennedy are important. Fourth and Fifth year players next year. They need to support Cripps.
SPS in 4th year.
Dow in 3rd year can do more.
Stockers a strong lad and could step quickly.

The above guys can do more around clearances next year.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

100%.

Stocker could potentially step up and have a similar impact to James Worpel next season.

The way I see it, if we go out and trade 2 x first round selections for someone like Wines, WTF was the point in trading back in the 2018 draft for Stocker.

Natural progression will make people realise our need for one of these recruits is non-existent. You can only have 7 mids in a team. When I list them out, I'm struggling to fit them all in.

Ed, Murph, Cripps, Setterfield, Dow, O'brien, SPS, Walsh, Stocker, Fisher, Kennedy and Cuningham.

History tells us that role players win flags, not high priced recruits :)

Sector 7G

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Small forward/midfield project with a top 10 pick was an early trademark of SOS' era at GWS... hopefully he's learned from that given how many got turfed.
Need to factor in how many 1st round picks SOS had. He couldn't just draft 20 inside mids and key position players. Massive mistake not to draft the best ruckman available in Grundy (though that is hindsight recruiting as I thought he should have recruited Longer the year before)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eiffel 65

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gryffindor
If that is the case, then it might be Martin, Gray and a free agent like newnes or Tomlinson.

If Jordan Gallucci comes cheap (3rd rounder), I'm hoping we're all over him.

Talk around the forums is that he could be one of the players wanting out.

Similar type to David Cuningham. Excellent acceleration off the mark and a fantastic kick on both sides.

Hasn't kicked on at Adelaide, but maybe he'll flourish in a new environment.

Eiffel 65

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gryffindor
I’m abit like this though I think Martin will cost more. I fail to believe we can recruit pure mids at 1,3,5(our bid) and 6 and not provide a core when we already have arguably the best mid in the competition. Add that to good assets used on LOB (winger) Kennedy, Stocker and a good pick at the draft in Fisher and we really should have the star midfielders anyway. I know recruiters make mistakes but that’s a hell of a lot of really good assets that we should have enough guns even if we haven’t recruited brilliantly. It really should be complementary players we need.
I do worry though that it may not take a lot of bad luck for us to find ourselves in trouble. Murphy is 33 next season and he was one of the main drivers for our improvement this year. Ed turns 31. I know that we hate to think about it but an injury to Cripps and we are relying on a couple of older midfielders who should be declining, Walsh and a heap of unproven talent.
I can understand both sides of the argument and it really doesn’t worry me either way we go. One thing is for sure though and that is if we a trade for a good mid they are going to cost a bloody lot and we won’t have a lot of good assets to fill future holes. Most guns are contracted so there will be expectations of two firsts in any deal. This worries me because we are as bad as there is at identifying cheap mature talent. For every Newman we have about 3-4 failures. Hopefully this is Agresta’s job and things change, he was likely behind the Newman pickup.
If they are deals for single picks, first and a second I don’t think it’s such a big deal because statistically we will probably be better off but when we talk two firsts it’s dangerous.

I think it's ok to have a down year due to injury. It happens. Can't all go your way.

What I'm more worried about is offering a player like Wines a massive contract, which forces out one or two players such as SPS and Dow due to salary cap constraints.

It may not seem like it at the time, but exorbitant contracts generally have consequences later on down the line.

FWIW, I think Dow and Setterfield will announce themselves to the competition next season.

Last edited:

The Bighouse

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
If Jordan Gallucci comes cheap (3rd rounder), I'm hoping we're all over him.

Talk around the forums is that he could be one of the players wanting out.

Similar type to David Cuningham. Excellent acceleration off the mark and a fantastic kick on both sides.

Hasn't kicked on at Adelaide, but maybe he'll flourish in a new environment.

There was talk he was eyeing us off (or vice versa) at the end of his contract, but that is 2020.

Eiffel 65

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gryffindor
There was talk he was eyeing us off (or vice versa) at the end of his contract, but that is 2020.

If he really wants out, Adelaide might decide to pull the trigger. They're looking for a clean slate.

Anything could happen if they have a complete overhaul.

ray8182

All Australian
Sep 11, 2008
Echuca
AFL Club
Carlton
100%.

Stocker could potentially step up and have a similar impact to James Worpel next season.

The way I see it, if we go out and trade 2 x first round selections for someone like Wines, WTF was the point in trading back in the 2018 draft for Stocker.

Natural progression will make people realise our need for one of these recruits is non-existent. You can only have 7 mids in a team. When I list them out, I'm struggling to fit them all in.

Ed, Murph, Cripps, Setterfield, Dow, O'brien, SPS, Walsh, Stocker, Fisher, Kennedy and Cuningham.

History tells us that role players win flags, not high priced recruits :)

Exactly regarding stocker. We went to a lot of trouble to get him and l don’t think it was to have him play on the back flank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

bigm386

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Thoughts on Cody Weightman?

Seen some of his highlights and did well in the carnival, predicted to go 15-30ish? So probably tricky for us to land unless we get a 2nd back for our 1st and a player etc.

Looks like a tough accurate small forward. Which we need!

Big Red is back

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2006
Visy park
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors

With Murphy and Simpson still playing well, I would like to see us grab some ready made talent with this years picks as like Brisbane we might spike up very quickly, a project style small forward would be 4 years from having an impact and we are now at a point where we need to recruit high quality ready to go players.

Nov 5, 2012
Canberra
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
There can be only 1
With Murphy and Simpson still playing well, I would like to see us grab some ready made talent with this years picks as like Brisbane we might spike up very quickly, a project style small forward would be 4 years from having an impact and we are now at a point where we need to recruit high quality ready to go players.
I hear daisy is available

Back