News Vale Danny Frawley

Remove this Banner Ad

I loved Danny Frawley, and hope / know that there will be a fitting tribute, but a golden fist sounds the tackiest award they could possibly have in his honour. There's a million stats in footy, we don't need awards for each one. At most a "best defender award" I would have thought.

The thing I like about the golden fist it clearly states the kpi behind this award, the ability to negate and stop the opposition. Using Richmond as an example (just because I'm more familiar with them) I want Grimes Astbury or rance winning this, not houli (who is my fav player)

On how to decide it, I'd get a panel on former great backmen to vote best each week

I was just watching Spud’s final episode of Bounce from Saturday night. In the first 2 mins they give him a birthday cake and after he blows out the candle Dunstall asks him “what did you wish for Spud” and he replies “fair to say, you wouldn’t want to know” and then trails off...
Was a candle thats not meant to blow out, but did the first time they did it

I remember when he coached Richmond, after some of their wins you’d see him on the field after the game celebrating with the players, you could just tell he had a such a passion for footy and what it means to people.

Thoughts with his family and loved ones.

Huge loss. His time on triple m's the cage
/ the rub was some of the funniest stuff I have ever heard. The Bounce was a bit so-so but his challenges with Jason were again classical. I was lucky enough to see him play at Moorabbin when Essendon travelled there. He could play Danny and knocked back many offers to remain loyal to his Saints.

Well the thing is, they are investigating. It may be weeks or months before we know the reason, if we do at all.

What does the media do? Runs multi page articles about depression and leaves the old "if you have problems call lifeline" that they only ever put on articles about suicides because they're not allowed to report on suicides but want you to know it's suicide. It's atrocious behavior from every journalist that has covered this.

Agree, and all under the guise of them being 'socially responsible'.

I reluctantly share that I spoke to an old mate this morning (ex senior cop) who's been told forensics at the scene are sadly indicating this was a deliberate action.
All of us, specifically people closest to him, are hoping and preying it was just a tragic accident but unfortunately there does not appear to be much evidence at the scene to suggest it was, with such hopes now relying on the autopsy report...

Last edited:
Well the thing is, they are investigating. It may be weeks or months before we know the reason, if we do at all.

What does the media do? Runs multi page articles about depression and leaves the old "if you have problems call lifeline" that they only ever put on articles about suicides because they're not allowed to report on suicides but want you to know it's suicide. It's atrocious behavior from every journalist that has covered this.

"The crash has not been included in the state's road toll, suggesting police are not treating it as an accident."

The Age article today.

One of my friends was a first responder to the scene.
She has seen it all and even she said she was shaken by it.
My heart goes out to the Frawleys, Danny's friends and particularly his daughters.
Also to the first responders who do an amazing job.

I can't even imagine doing that job and what they have to deal with. We are so lucky that some people are prepared to do it. They deserve our recognition and medals for what they do.

To some extent the people who deal with these incidents must become accustomed to it. They would have to.

On the other hand, the family and friends of Danny Frawley will possibly never get over this. We all have to die sometime but suicide devastates the people you leave behind. Don't do it. Explore every mental health option. Explore every possible solution to the problems you’re facing.

Didn’t the swans or some team wear number 37 for Adam goodes in warm ups once? Teams could wear #2 for Danny ?

Hawks did that - was a moving tribute to the man.

I really like your idea and hope the clubs do something like that to acknowledge this sad event.

I can't even imagine doing that job and what they have to deal with. We are so lucky that some people are prepared to do it. They deserve our recognition and medals for what they do.

To some extent the people who deal with these incidents must become accustomed to it. They would have to.

On the other hand, the family and friends of Danny Frawley will possibly never get over this. We all have to die sometime but suicide devastates the people you leave behind. Don't do it. Explore every mental health option. Explore every possible solution to the problems you’re facing.
That's what resonates with me. Danny has left behind not only a wife, 3 daughters, but a mother and a number of siblings. The pain associated with the loss will be lifelong for them.

Unless you've experienced it you can't appreciate what a dark place depression can take you to.

All so sad.

I loved Danny Frawley, and hope / know that there will be a fitting tribute, but a golden fist sounds the tackiest award they could possibly have in his honour. There's a million stats in footy, we don't need awards for each one. At most a "best defender award" I would have thought.
I'd say the actual award would be called something like the Danny Frawley Trophy and the design be a golden fist.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the idea of an offical medal for the defenders but just call it the Frawley Medal rather than the golden fist.

I wouldn't just give it to the AA fullback either. Get a panel to pick the best lock down defender each year.

Totally. let James frawley give the award.. Someone wins it like a Ambrose or Jones would be a nice touch

I met Spud once fleetingly in my teens in the 90s. His brother Tony was a coach/football development person/scout/recruiter in the Ballarat area and they came to an Interleague game i played in on a zone team vs a Ballarat league Under 16s team on a Sunday.

Had a Saints sports jacket and jeans on and it just a quick G'day Boys and G'day Mate and a couple of quick words and good luck.

Was always the "Boy from Bungaree" and proud of his country upbringing. Never took himself seriously. My mum is devastated. She loved Spud

Last edited:
I am getting really really p*ssed off with the amount of people who are "guessing" as to what the cause was.
How about we let the police and coroner do their job first before jumping to any conclusions.

R.I.P. Danny Frawley.
They have done their jobs. Media don't typically report it as suicide so they drop very not so subtle things as the lifeline message at the base of articles and discuss his mental health. People on radio today have basically discussed it as such and close friends such as Tony Shaw have said that's what happened. There is unlikely to be an announcement by police or coroner.

Current players involved this weekend to have worked with Spud are Rhys Stanley should he be picked and rightfully I think he will and ofcourse Luke Hodge.
Only current players to have worked with Spud (Hawks 08-09) and (Saints 14)

I personally know one of Dandenong's former senior traffic cops. He would attend fatal traffic accidents multiple times each week. In the end he developed PTSD and can no longer work. For some it takes a heavy toll

I personally know one of Dandenong's former senior traffic cops. He would attend fatal traffic accidents multiple times each week. In the end he developed PTSD and can no longer work. For some it takes a heavy toll
It's also why they can be humorless hardarses to people doing the wrong thing on the road because they dont want to have to attend the scene of an accident and then give the knock on the door.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back