No Oppo Supporters Hawthorn’s 2019 Trade/FA - Targets/Incoming players discussion only - Next Part

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have zero interest in making up the numbers come finals time which is exactly what we'd be doing.
Happy to go backwards to go forwards.
There's a kid out there who can provide exactly what Masten can or better and he may even be on our list. Lets not be a North Melbourne and start amassing a team of list cloggers.
But you’re missing the point. Picking up a player like Masten wouldn’t be at the hindrance of others unless they were out of form or injured. He doesn’t rock into Waverley as a straight up best 22.

Right now we are short on depth. When Tom went down we had JOM, Pup and two kids(Worpel and Cousins) as starting mids.

Bringing a Masten onto the list strengthens our depth in the middle at the very least.

Some of you blokes here are really underselling the impact greenwood would have. His stats when he is mostly playing mid are 24 disposals 16 contested 7 clearances 6 tackles. His stats seem lowish because he has been stuck playing mostly as a pressure fwd. I would be estatic to get him and he would only cost a 3rd rounder. Him and wingard rotate mid/fwd

Greenwood has said he doesn’t care about the $$ just the length of the contract. Also we could use him mostly as a mid and have Omeara on the wing at times

But you’re missing the point. Picking up a player like Masten wouldn’t be at the hindrance of others unless they were out of form or injured. He doesn’t rock into Waverley as a straight up best 22.

Right now we are short on depth. When Tom went down we had JOM, Pup and two kids(Worpel and Cousins) as starting mids.

Bringing a Masten onto the list strengthens our depth in the middle at the very least.

That is my concern exactly but i can appreciate your point.

really? averages 6 tackles and 1.44 inside 50 from 14 games this year. Good numbers, but how is he statistically the best pressure forward in the game?

Pressures acts, smothers etc I guess, heard that troy guy or someone on sen from champion data say it.

He's ranked 31 on the afl ratings so he's doing something right.

How do you know? You said your sources have gone silent.

Oh FFS !!!!
Really.....!!!!!
So what do you know ......????
Be assured my friend, be utterly assured I have some knowledge, far from complete knowledge, but I can assure you List acquisition is the sum of a number of List acquisitions. I will say that again..... the sum of a number of List Acquisitions. It is called List strategy and balancing.

I may not have enough info about individual player targets at this very moment to confidently divulge them, BUT I do have more than enough knowledge about how we go about building a TOTAL List, including Depth or Role players.

Frankly my friend, you have yet again affirmed why it is pointless sharing any meaningful information in this place.

FFS !!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh FFS !!!!
Really.....!!!!!
So what do you know ......????
Be assured my friend, be utterly assured I have some knowledge, far from complete knowledge, but I can assure you List acquisition is the sum of a number of List acquisitions. I will say that again..... the sum of a number of List Acquisitions. It is called List strategy and balancing.

I may not have enough info about individual player targets at this very moment to confidently divulge them, BUT I do have more than enough knowledge about how we go about building a TOTAL List, including Depth or Role players.

Frankly my friend, you have yet again affirmed why it is pointless sharing any meaningful information in this place.

FFS !!!

Don’t listen to these guys Tops, majority of us appreciate your input. These threads are as dry as John Worsfold’s personality without people like you sharing your knowledge. Thanks for your work

Depth is not there to win you games, it's cheap short-term insurance against losing one when thing go to shite. Freebie DFAs picked up for peanuts are exactly what depth should be.

Seriously hoping we get greenwood. Games in the midfield have been excellent. Just been played out of position.

If he doesn't work out in the midfield is he a possible replacement for poppy up forward? I've not seen much of him, and its very hard to assess him using stats because of being shared so much between midfield and forward line (assuming his low possession games are mainly forward, but hard to know if they were just quiet games in the midfield). Guessing on forward/midfield mix, he seems to hit the scoreboard more than Poppy managed this year when forward. His tackles inside 50 also suggests his forward pressure is pretty decent (probably as good as anyone we've currently got to replace poppy with). You mention you think he's played out of position forward, but from what you've seen of him, can he play the role of a pressure forward if needed?

We still think Patton is a lock to come to Waverly?

Wouldn't be surprised to see Essendon make a play for him, if they are getting rid of Daniher.

Cheap trades, DFAs and rookies are great for speculative picks and depth needs.

And you need depth whether you are in premiership mode or not. You need to be able to put a team on the park at two levels for any chance at success and player development

So you bring in 30 year olds to create a depth level waiting in BH? You obviously can't be honest with that player because they don't want to hear they're being brought in as depth, so then you're the club that has a lazy susan bottom end of the list with players on decent coin who are disgruntled because they were not told the truth of their situation....

So we took a couple of rookies who then got injured and barely played.

I guess lesson here is that we should never take rookies.

If we’d have had better depth at the start of 2019 we’d not have been scraping the barrel when Burger, Shiels and Smith we’re injured early doors....and we play finals.

You call it scraping the bottom of the barrel, I call it giving kids like Cousins, ML, Hanrahan, Nash, Glass et al. a significant run to see how they translate at the higher level.
That's the way to go for mine, rather that scrabbling with your 'depth' to fall in to the finals, and not truly turning over talent to see who might take you all the way to a cup.

I see other clubs doing as you suggest, St Kilda did it famously for years, North quite like that route.
Geelong and Syds only do it when they feel the import is likely to win his position on the field, even if that's the 22nd position.
Otherwise they go with kids.

Fair enough, I can see I see it differently and am happy to have the last word.:tearsofjoy:

Yeah it's all very quiet at Hawthorn ATM, so we either are trying to work on something big and we don't want it to get out, or we don't have much in the pipeline and are scraping from the bottom of the tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back