Coach Justin Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
it would be kind of weird if Sumich (against all odds, probability and reason) got the job. Presumably then Hardie and Haggers and the rest of the twats who seem to want to run the club from the media would have to get behind in and ergo, us.
What would they do if we were awful? They love putting the boots into Freo but if there mate was running the joint how would they both run us down as well as propping him up?

Back to reality - please just sign J-Lo asap.

I put a $100 on Longmuire so I strongly think he'll be our coach but with the precedent being set that our board doesn't deal with external noise very well and with all the pro Sumich campaigning happening at the moment it's not as unlikely as I'd like it to be.

not sure if anyone posted this before...thought it was interesting listening.

Thanks for that, really good insight. I think he needs to get out of Gold Coast & work in another environment whilst he’s got time on his side.
Hmm, wonder if he’d like to coach Peel as part of his development?

I think you just backed the argument up that he’s not the stereotypical premiership coach.

I would imagine that most successful coaches would be the deeper thinkers of the game, more than just hard players, something that Justin is described as (but which I acknowledge I have no knowledge)

But successful coaches can come in very different moulds. Take Malcolm Blight or Bomber Thompson, two very different “cats” that probably didn’t fit any type!

If Freo are fair dinkim about throwing the net far and wide, no ones included/excluded etc, if we sign Jlo in the next 4-5 days that was obviously bull.

I’m getting Brendan Bolton/Drum/Neeld vibes with this possible appointment. His Freo days are clouding some of your judgements.

I say throw the kitchen sink at Clarkson, if he’s not keen look at Burns/Voss..if they aren’t up to it go with Pyke as the fail safe option(who I’d like to see in our coaching staff anyway)

Last edited:
it would be kind of weird if Sumich (against all odds, probability and reason) got the job. Presumably then Hardie and Haggers and the rest of the twats who seem to want to run the club from the media would have to get behind in and ergo, us.
What would they do if we were awful? They love putting the boots into Freo but if there mate was running the joint how would they both run us down as well as propping him up?

Back to reality - please just sign J-Lo asap.
If Sumich gets the job and still does bad, then they'll lay the blame and Lyon/Rosich for as long as possible. I genuinely reckon that they'd give Sumich a 5-6 year grace period. If it's still bad after that then they'd blame Bell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Freo are fair dinkim about throwing the net far and wide, no ones included/excluded etc, if we sign Jlo in the next 4-5 days that was obviously bull.

I’m getting Brendan Bolton/Drum/Neeld vibes with this possible appointment. His Freo days are clouding some of your judgements.

I say throw the kitchen sink at Clarkson, if he’s not keen look at Burns/Voss..if they aren’t up to it go with Pyke as the fail safe option(who I’d like to see in our coaching staff anyway)

what if Clarkson isnt gettable, they've already interviewed everyone you just mentioned and after interviewing J-Lo on monday he presents the best of the lot and panel approves? does that still mean the "process" was a scam?

none of us know what any of the candidates would do given the chance, so all we can do is give whoever gets the nod our blessing and see what theyre made of.

the amount of popcorn wce flogs must be going through reading these threads of late would be staggering.

If Sumich gets the job and still does bad, then they'll lay the blame and Lyon/Rosich for as long as possible. I genuinely reckon that they'd give Sumich a 5-6 year grace period. If it's still bad after that then they'd blame Bell.

If we go backwards in our rebuild that's probably the narrative this board will run with regardless of which coach we end up with. "Still need time to coach the Ross Lyon out of the players" or some inane platitude like that.

Always remember Jlo to being a bit soft out on the field...just don’t know about him.

I'd be fine and happy with Burns or Caracella or Longmuir. I'd even be happy with an ex-Eagle as a coach if there one with a good case.

But I will admit I am not supportive of Sumich on the basis that I think there is enough empirical evidence that he says say and does stuff that IMO a good coaches (or a manager of people - a role Im familiar with hiring for) shouldn't say or do.

I agree with you that if we are serious about the whole finding the best available then we should have been looking at a panel which includes at least two current successful coaches from other clubs. Anything else (Longmuir, Burns, Voss etc.) is a lottery; a lottery that can be won but not something that resonates with Alcock's grand statement of being a powerhouse club.

Hopefully the next coach throws some left field ideas like fyfe as the key target up forward to save his body in the long run and put more responsibility into the young guys in cerra and brayshaw for example to carry the load in the middle. This might sound crazy with loosing brad hill and Langdon but if we could figure out a way to have arguably the best contested marker in the game taking grabs in front of the big sticks it would surely bring more of a crowd to the game to see him win a game off his own boot.

Hopefully the next coach throws some left field ideas like fyfe as the key target up forward to save his body in the long run and put more responsibility into the young guys in cerra and brayshaw for example to carry the load in the middle. This might sound crazy with loosing brad hill and Langdon but if we could figure out a way to have arguably the best contested marker in the game taking grabs in front of the big sticks it would surely bring more of a crowd to the game to see him win a game off his own boot.
What does Fyfey being up forward have to do with the Tabernator taking grabs in front of the big sticks? keke🤡

I too have my doubts on JLo being successful but I really wish you’d stop throwing Voss up as an option, he’s less likely to be successful imo. He’s done nothing.

That sounds unbelievable, the guy is unhinged
Yeah that’s seriously bordering on psychotic.

And I’m serious.

The guy is genuinely OCD with Lyon

He really does need to be stood down by 6PR.
-and I’m talking from a general public interest perspective.

If he was a religious zealot he’d be long removed but his ramblings and prejudice are in fact not too dissimilar

Yeah that’s seriously bordering on psychotic.

And I’m serious.

The guy is genuinely OCD with Lyon

He really does need to be stood down by 6PR.
-and I’m talking from a general public interest perspective.

If he was a religious zealot he’d be long removed but his ramblings and prejudice are in fact not too dissimilar
He would be removed from most countries with that level of paranoia

What if we sign Longmuir in 6 or 7 days? Is that long enough to complete the process?

On what basis are you getting such vibes? Neeld was appointed after a comprehensive search headed by Garry Lyon, Melbourne’s favourite son. It took until round 1 and Neeld’s appalling post game conference for most to realise it was a mistake. He’d already pissed off the older players by appointing 19 year olds as co captains.
Drum was considered a catch, despite a fairly short apprenticeship. We have Drum and Freo to thank/blame for Eddie McGuire and Collingwood. Eddie was so incensed that a start up club like Freo beat Collingwood in the race for Damian Drum that he ran for the Collingwood presidency. Of course, Drum managed to turn a fast, soft team into a slow, soft team. At least he didn’t trade away the good draft picks.
Bolton was considered the ultimate Clarko disciple, but that didn’t help.

My point is that the three coaching failures you’ve compared to Longmuir have nothing else in common. You have no basis for such vibe. None played at the club they failed at coaching, so accusing posters of having clouded judgements re Longmuir is just as disingenuous. If you said you had a Vossy vibe, that would at least make sense, but you’ve suggested him as a prospective coach.

Getting Clarkson is a fool’s errand. He is signed on for a long time, and is still setting himself challenges at Hawthorn.
And even if we got him, the cost would wipe out Freo’s soft cap.

I am getting happier with the thought of Longmuir, especially after listening to his interviews. I hope he receives the correct support with assistants and mentors. And the elephant in the room is the S&C programme.

What if we sign Longmuir in 6 or 7 days? Is that long enough to complete the process?

On what basis are you getting such vibes? Neeld was appointed after a comprehensive search headed by Garry Lyon, Melbourne’s favourite son. It took until round 1 and Neeld’s appalling post game conference for most to realise it was a mistake. He’d already pi**ed off the older players by appointing 19 year olds as co captains.
Drum was considered a catch, despite a fairly short apprenticeship. We have Drum and Freo to thank/blame for Eddie McGuire and Collingwood. Eddie was so incensed that a start up club like Freo beat Collingwood in the race for Damian Drum that he ran for the Collingwood presidency. Of course, Drum managed to turn a fast, soft team into a slow, soft team. At least he didn’t trade away the good draft picks.
Bolton was considered the ultimate Clarko disciple, but that didn’t help.

My point is that the three coaching failures you’ve compared to Longmuir have nothing else in common. You have no basis for such vibe. None played at the club they failed at coaching, so accusing posters of having clouded judgements re Longmuir is just as disingenuous. If you said you had a Vossy vibe, that would at least make sense, but you’ve suggested him as a prospective coach.

Getting Clarkson is a fool’s errand. He is signed on for a long time, and is still setting himself challenges at Hawthorn.
And even if we got him, the cost would wipe out Freo’s soft cap.

I am getting happier with the thought of Longmuir, especially after listening to his interviews. I hope he receives the correct support with assistants and mentors. And the elephant in the room is the S&C programme.

Is that true? Never heard of that before.

My guess is our next coach will be the one that presents the best plan to get us up the ladder next year whilst also having a strong focus on our youth and incoming draft picks. The board etc. will not want a plan that consists of wasting Fyfe and Walters remaining years.

They won't want to hear some 5 year plan from the new coach. It should be a 1-3 year plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back