Where does Richmond v Collingwood rank among the great 'missed' Grand Finals?

Remove this Banner Ad

And if it wasn’t for that fat f*** in the Suns coaches box Geelong would have won 4 from 5 and theoretically been 1-2 wins away from 5 in a row. But it didn’t happen.
Richmond and a good side - a very good side - but let’s not make out like we’ve missed out on a showdown between Nadal and Federer on centre court at Wimbledon here.

Yeah Geelong could have easily gone 5 in a row, which would be pretty amazing.

Geelong definitely the best side since the Hawks - arguably as good. They should have at least have 2 serious tilts at the flag including on Saturday.

Geelong vs Richmond would've also been a cracker too if not for Geelong stuffing up in the first week of the Finals. Danger vs Dusty two of the best midfielders in the comp going head to head on the biggest stage of all

Maybe wait until the Grand final is actually played before lamenting what we have missed? Might end up with an absolute classic.

No team managed fewer than six losses this year, so no matter what combination we ended up with, it was never going to be a real clash of the Titans

Correct, overall it's been a strange season of results and thanks to the amount of upsets the most difficult for weekly tipsters I can recall for a long long time. Giants are a big show on Saturday but I just feel they may have played their GF last week...

1985 = Essendon vs Footscray
1987 = Carlton vs Melbourne
1994 = West Coast vs North Melbourne
1996 = North Melbourne vs Essendon
1997 = St Kilda vs Western Bulldogs
1999 = Essendon vs North Melbourne
2002-2003 = Port Adelaide vs Brisbane
2004 = St Kilda vs Geelong
2007 = Collingwood vs Port Adelaide
2009 = Geelong vs Western Bulldogs
2011 = Geelong vs Hawthorn
2012 = Sydney vs Adelaide
2013 = Geelong vs Fremantle
2014 = Sydney vs Port Adelaide
2015 = Fremantle vs West Coast
2016 = Sydney vs GWS
2018 = Richmond vs West Coast
2019 = Richmond vs Collingwood

Last edited:
I'm pumped for this GF. GWS winning, for me, is bigger than if Pies won it. I have someone to actually barrack for now. If it was Pies v Tigers, I wouldn't give a s**t who won.

Definitely a missed grand final for City of Melbourne. The atmosphere in the streets is always bigger for the GF than the prelims because the fans/punters have been booted out of the ground by the corporates, and the 2017 GF was the best atmosphere in the streets for a long time. So I can only imagine a Tigers/Pies grand final in the pubs of Melbourne, it'd be huge.

As for the actual game, and for anyone else, not really one of the great missed ones. Ideal GF going into finals for me would have been Richmond/Geelong, or had West Coast won in round 23 a Richmond/West Coast grand final had the potential to be an all time great game. Richmond technically not the best team all year but once they got their side back and started motoring they were a clear standout (beat Pies, GWS, WC, Brisbane in the run to the finals), it was just a matter of who else would join them.

I think GWS will give as good a showing as the Pies would have, and around the country it'll be as watched as any (maybe more so due to Sydney factor). But yes any Melbourne people will feel a bit cheesed they didn't get the Tigers/Pies.

1985 = Essendon vs Footscray
1987 = Carlton vs Melbourne
1994 = West Coast vs North Melbourne
1996 = North Melbourne vs Essendon
1997 = St Kilda vs Western Bulldogs
1999 = Essendon vs North Melbourne
2002-2003 = Port Adelaide vs Brisbane
2004 = St Kilda vs Geelong
2007 = Collingwood vs Port Adelaide
2009 = Geelong vs Western Bulldogs
2011 = Geelong vs Hawthorn
2012 = Sydney vs Adelaide
2013 = Geelong vs Fremantle
2014 = Sydney vs Port Adelaide
2015 = Fremantle vs West Coast
2016 = Sydney vs GWS
2018 = Richmond vs West Coast
2019 = Richmond vs Collingwood

By a mile

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not as highly as you think

Both gws and collingwood played a really hard game in wet conditions.

And richmond were dynamite

Collingwood - or anyone else for that matter would have been beaten convincingly
We had the week off before the Giants game so I don't agree. I think that tough hit out would have been a cobweb clearer. The Hawks fell over the line in a few prelims before going on to win the grand final comfortably. I think it's likely Richmond would have won but in those dry conditions our forward line would have been much more of a handful with DeGoey, Stevo and Elliott running around. I also think Roughy and Moore would both have covered Jack and Lynch far better. We are the only team who flogged Richmond when they were at full strength other than Rance this year(but we flogged them with Rance playing the previous time we played.)

We had the week off before the Giants game so I don't agree. I think that tough hit out would have been a cobweb clearer. The Hawks fell over the line in a few prelims before going on to win the grand final comfortably. I think it's likely Richmond would have won but in those dry conditions our forward line would have been much more of a handful with DeGoey, Stevo and Elliott running around. I also think Roughy and Moore would both have covered Jack and Lynch far better. We are the only team who flogged Richmond when they were at full strength other than Rance this year(but we flogged them with Rance playing the previous time we played.)
Make no mistake - collingwood would have made a much better attempt than gws

But i still feel that run in the wet would have counted come the last - pretty even till about halfway through the 3rd then richmond by 30 points

Being a Pies fan who has lived in Richmond for 30 years, the idea of my mob playing the Tigers in a GF would be insane.
Hanging about in Swan St this morning and every bar, club, restaurant & side streets were packed. Just what would have happened if you add thousands of Pies fans is anyone’s guess.
Thousands were at Punt Road Oval watching the game and had we made it, that would have been matched by thousands more just down Swan St at the Holden Centre.
The two clubs with the biggest fan bases and home grounds on either side of the MCG, playing off for the flag.
Sure it’s a very Melbourne thing, but it would have been a helluva time.

Except we were crap and lost in the Prelim.

The best grand final match up for this season was Richmond vs West Coast

I think Richmond would of beaten the Pies by about 6 goals.

I never watched their round 22 (?) match. Maybe i should go and watch the true GF of 2019!

I think they'd have done the Pies by 9 goals tbh.

The best grand final match up for this season was Richmond vs West Coast
I agree, game of the year for me was round 22 vs West Coast. Electric football very high quality, shame that they dropped off after that

Should have been Eagles and Richmond. That 1 point loss to Collingwood changed absolutely everything. Richmond Vs Eagles would have been the closest. Collingwood looked shot in every game they played; they would have lost comfortably (although they would have done better then GWS obviously.)

Collingwood would've come within 5 goals at the very least. I still think we'd be premiers now if it didn't rain at all for the GWS game. We SUCK in the rain!!

Just look at earlier in the season when we played Richmond and thumped them by 44 points. Back then we had no Adams, but they had no Houli, teams were similar-ish aside from that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back