Coach Justin Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see much evidence of us casting a wide net.
See and I would have thought that other interested parties would have to express an interest and apply....Could well be wrong but isnt that how appointing a coach usually goes??...Unless we specifically target someone like we did with Ross...

How many examples do you need for someone to prove their point?

They are correct. Move on
Hey, you read it as 4 out of the last 20 premierships were won by past players and I'll read it as 16 out of the last 20 weren't.

edit - I missed Buckley
edit - edit buckley never won it after all

Last edited:
Yeah ok, like I said to a different poster. Kinda proves my point. Beveridge is the only one in the last 10 years right?

Shifting the goal posts much.

You ask for people to give examples of players coming back to coach their club, get those examples, buuuuut now they're not good enough because they aren't "successful" enough or they didn't occur during some arbitrary time frame.

It's like the Ross Lyon bad faith arguments all over again.

This is not a shot at Longmuir, I really hope he succeeds.

If they had Longmuir earmarked for the role as the best candidate, why sack Lyon after R22, rather than waiting until R23? What did that extra week buy Freo? Longmuir wasn't leaving Pies until after finals, Sumich was always going to be available. Rawlings and Solomon clearly still available a month later.

It was a calculated decision to sack Lyon and Rosich after R22 to strengthen the power in those who remain. Whilst Longmuir might have been the best candidate for the job (before and after the process), the way the position became available was a case of those in power wanting to have someone they know in the role - then you don't look too far, interview the candidates you know well (plus Sumich to placate the WA media).

If the CEO role goes to the current COO or someone else with ties to Freo/Bell, we're all in on Peter Bell.

If they had Longmuir earmarked for the role as the best candidate, why sack Lyon after R22, rather than waiting until R23? What did that extra week buy Freo? Longmuir wasn't leaving Pies until after finals, Sumich was always going to be available. Rawlings and Solomon clearly still available a month later.

It was a calculated decision to sack Lyon and Rosich after R22 to strengthen the power in those who remain. Whilst Longmuir might have been the best candidate for the job (before and after the process), the way the position became available was a case of those in power wanting to have someone they know in the role - then you don't look too far, interview the candidates you know well (plus Sumich to placate the WA media).

If the CEO role goes to the current COO or someone else with ties to Freo/Bell, we're all in on Peter Bell.
Na mate you're a conspiracy theorist.

Because there were several other clubs looking for a senior coach at the same time who most likely would have picked him up as he was the best candidate. We didn't know if Essendon were going to make a move yet with speculation on worsfold and then Adelaide came out of the woodwork. We had to strike or risk losing the best prospect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to Duffield, the timing of Lyon’s sacking one week before the end of the season was because the following round would be dominated by Polly Farmer’s funeral and the board were worried that it would get out and interfere with that.

As if he is going to believe something on social media. He wants a peer reviewed research paper proving that it was indeed true.

Ok I believe Jade Rawlings applied for the job and was unsuccessful, does that make you feel better?

The only reason I was being a stickler is because Jedi mind Tricks mentioned facts. I'm happy to add him to the list of confirmed candidates if you want. It still seems like a pretty small pool to me.

Ok I believe Jade Rawlings applied for the job and was unsuccessful, does that make you feel better?

The only reason I was being a stickler is because Jedi mind Tricks mentioned facts. I'm happy to add him to the list of confirmed candidates if you want. It still seems like a pretty small pool to me.
Stop acting like a tool and demanding everyone satisfy you. How about you prove to us that the pool of candidates was just the list you have instead? How about you prove we didn't cast the net wide? The reality is you have no clue what went on behind closed doors, so stop talking as if what you are saying is fact and what everyone is saying needs to be legitimately sourced from someone credible. The only person without any credibility in this conversation is you.

That Jade Rawlings was a close contender is important as a point of information that confirms that it wasn't "jobs for the boys"

That he was second best suggests that there wasn't a bias towards coaches that have Fremantle links (Solomon or Sumich) and that the pool was broader than people with Fremantle links

I'd have been happy with him as an option too

Stop acting like a tool and demanding everyone satisfy you. How about you prove to us that the pool of candidates was just the list you have instead? How about you prove we didn't cast the net wide? The reality is you have no clue what went on behind closed doors, so stop talking as if what you are saying is fact and what everyone is saying needs to be legitimately sourced from someone credible. The only person without any credibility in this conversation is you.
Come on man there's no need for name-calling.

That Jade Rawlings was a close contender is important as a point of information that confirms that it wasn't "jobs for the boys"

That he was second best suggests that there wasn't a bias towards coaches that have Fremantle links (Solomon or Sumich) and that the pool was broader than people with Fremantle links

Well Jade didn't get the job. So I don't see how it really confirms it wasn't jobs for the boys.

This, Liam Pickering on SEN was impressed with how the club kept things (mostly) behind closed doors. Should also be mentioned of the 3 guys thought to be leading candidates publicly in JLo, Sumich and Solomon, their intentions to apply was made public really. JLo and Sumich applying always seemed inevitable and mentioned it in interviews etc. Solomon being a contender was only mentioned after Duffield got hold of it, and stood out as one of the main candidates after someone took a photo of him on a flight.

Definitely suggests that it wasn’t simply jobs for the boys and a broader pool was looked at

Because there were several other clubs looking for a senior coach at the same time who most likely would have picked him up as he was the best candidate. We didn't know if Essendon were going to make a move yet with speculation on worsfold and then Adelaide came out of the woodwork. We had to strike or risk losing the best prospect.
Essendon didn't sack their coach. Adelaide sacked theirs after the season. Saints and Blues were available but didn't nominate the caretaker as full time until after the season.
Do you think Longmuir would have walked out on Pies on the eve of the finals if offered the Saints or Blues jobs? Why were we different then?

None of the coaches we interviewed ended anywhere else, so either we didn't cast a net far enough or we had a preferred candidate who was still available a week later, which returns me to why sack Lyon and Rosich in R22? If it was because of a concern about Farmer's funeral, that seems a tenuous reason to knife a coach and CEO in R22.

According to Duffield, the timing of Lyon’s sacking one week before the end of the season was because the following round would be dominated by Polly Farmer’s funeral and the board were worried that it would get out and interfere with that.

Besides which, you can't always get the timing exactly right for when tempers fray and people walk out. I suspect it was not a happy conversation just prior to Rosich walking out/being sacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back