• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • James Sicily

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • Liam Shiels

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Need Chad to be in the top 3 next season, to be honest he's probably the most talented player on our list.
Chad and Worpel are the two most important players on our list in terms of success over the next 3 years. We know what we will get from Mitchell. But he needs elite level support and Chad and Worpel are the two who can give it - Chad by getting back to his best (and hopefully even exceeding it) and Worpel by continuing his development as a player and leader.

Back to Worpel, what an outstanding season from the young bloke. Not only took on mantle of best midfielder without Mitchell but gets the honour of being the club’s best player, period, for 2019. That is tremendous reward and exciting for the future.

Where our more experienced players finished explains why we finished where we did. As supposed leaders, Smith and Gunston in particular stand out.

Thanks Simon, that’s really interesting and insightful. Perhaps it exposes why we might just have to say goodbye to some of our veterans this trade period. It is disappointing that they were largely the ones holding us back this year. Many of the youngsters can hold their heads high.

We all know I love numbers, and now the coaches have had their say, here's some figures to compare.

On a macro level, coaches votes totaled 1576, down from 1972 in 2018. After factoring the extra two games (528 v 484), this results in a 13% reduction in votes per game. Using my arbitrary categories from last year..

(2017 had 4 voters, 2018 onwards just 3).

2019 MVP (>6) - ZERO after ONE in 2018.

Mitchell was MVP in 2018, obviously missed this season with his injury. Worpel went closest but was still down on the target figure of 132 votes. I had hoped for O'Meara and Sicily to step up in 2019 but both actually slipped backwards from their 2018 performance. Impey was impressive before his injury.

2019 "A" Grade (beat most opponents >4.5) FIVE - (8 in 2018)
Worpel, Impey, O'Meara, Henderson, Sicily.

O'Meara and Sicily hold their "A" Grade rating, joined by Worpel, Impey and Henderson who all stepped up this year.
Harwick, Gunston, Smith, McEvoy, Breust and Stratton all dropped back.

"12 A-Graders" was the target. We have 5, with a large collection of senior players slipping back a level. Dropping from 9 "A" graders to 5 suggests a LOT of work to be done.

Temporary or a sign of decline?

2019 "B" Grade (beat some opponents, >3) ELEVEN- (8 in 2018)
Shiels, Hardwick, Wingard, McEvoy, Frawley, Birchall, Breust, Stratton, Smith, Gunston, O'Brien

A large group of senior players here, with Wingard and Birchall showing their class in limited exposure due to injury.

Burgoyne, Rioli, Roughead, Howe gone, whilst Impey was upgraded to "A Grade". Two of those are retired already, Howe out-of-favour whilst Burgoyne is doing his best John Farnham impression.

Based on the premiership model having 22 "B" Graders, we are at least 6 players short - all of whom should be in "A" grade territory.

2019 "C" Grade (performed more often than not - >2) TEN - (9 in 2018)
Lewis, Howe, Burgoyne, Scully, Roughead, Jiath, Ceglar, Hanrahan, Puopolo, Cousins

Worpel upgraded straight to "A" grade from this group.
Duryea, Burton traded out.
Mirra, Nash, Morrison dropped to "D' Grade
Lewis upgraded from "D" grade
Scully, Jiath and Hanrahan added to list.

You don't want to be >23 and in this group.

Roughead retired, Burgoyne and Puopolo going again, whilst Ceglar and Scully are over their injuries and MUST move up.

2019 "D" Grade (below average, beaten more than not, <2) TWENTY- (18 in 2018)
Pittonet, Mirra, Nash, Scrimshaw, Morrison, Glass, Brand, Moore, (and 12 zero gamers)

O'brien steps up (straight to "B Grade"!), Lewis ("C Grade").
Whitecross, O'rourke delisted.
The rest were kept :eek:

Essentially you don't want any "D" grade games on your list - we had on average of six! in the team each week. Anyone >22 should be an almost automatic delist.

======
Perception is a funny thing. I started this research thinking it would reinforce my understanding that we actually weren't too far away. I've ended it thinking we need a hell of a lot to go right.

We have a large core of senior players that as a group critically under-performed in 2019 - much of it due to injury but cannot afford to 'waste' another season at this level.

(Attached Excel for 18 vs 19 comparisons.

I think this analysis is good. It has one unstated assumption, however, that could have a significant impact on how players are rated. Not within a season, but from season to season. It assumes that coaches rate consistently each year. That what they call a 3 effort in one year is the same as a 3 effort in the next year.

If coach expectations rise faster than player efforts then the relative effect from one year to the next would be falling player ratings even though objectively player effort improved. I'm not saying that this is what happened, just pointing out that there is an unknowable variable that almost certainly has a significant year-to-year impact that would make this sort of comparison insightful but not definitive. I think your grading into A, B, etc and the player movements between them demonstrating who is having the greatest impact on the games is spot on, though.

Simon_Nesbit - thank you for the extremely insightful, if not depressing stats. I think you're not far off the club's thinking and placement of individuals. I think we need to make a number of calls to just move people on (e.g. Schoenmakers, Moore), and hold people accountable for performance (e.g. Stratton, Gunston).

Of the youngest BNF average clubs listed from swamp it would be interesting to see the same analysis. I think GWS and WBD would blow us away, STK/Melb unsure.

Simon_Nesbit - thank you for the extremely insightful, if not depressing stats. I think you're not far off the club's thinking and placement of individuals. I think we need to make a number of calls to just move people on (e.g. Schoenmakers, Moore), and hold people accountable for performance (e.g. Stratton, Gunston).

Of the youngest BNF average clubs listed from swamp it would be interesting to see the same analysis. I think GWS and WBD would blow us away, STK/Melb unsure.

thanks to Chaisa for all the hard work...in the "Hawks ignore the elite end" thread.

On this, just did a ranking of the average and median ages for B&F Top 10's. Here they are:

Average:

Geelong27.7
North Melbourne27.7
West Coast26.8
Adelaide26.7
Richmond26.54545
Brisbane Lions26.3
Collingwood26.3
Carlton26
Hawthorn25.9
Fremantle25.2
Gold Coast24.9
GWS24.9
Essendon24.7
Port Adelaide24.7
Sydney24.7
St Kilda24.3
Western Bulldogs24.3
Melbourne23.6
Richmond would rank 3rd with an average age of 27 if you took out one of the players that finished equal 10th.

Median:

Geelong28
North Melbourne28
Adelaide27
Richmond27
West Coast27
Hawthorn26.5
Brisbane Lions26
Carlton26
Collingwood26
Gold Coast26
Fremantle25.5
Essendon25
GWS24.5
Port Adelaide24
Western Bulldogs24
St Kilda23.5
Sydney23.5
Melbourne23
So yeah, they don't fare as badly as what you otherwise might assume.

7472f2ccc234c57d205a4a069e4bf6d0.gif

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Forgot to say also, well done to Ollie on winning best first year player :D

it’s also a sign of the coaches’ faith in Ollie.

He showed some good signs, good pace and skills.
Experience will see some improvement

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Three things... Simon the great man Nesbit is back? If so I might have to make a trip down to Lonnie next if possible.

And secondly well done James Worpel, but also Mr Impey if you weren't injured did you already have it in the bag?

Finally If Hardwick gets isolated in an open situation cos he ain't quick and teams run off him... are our coaches saying he's done everything right and it's Sicily's fault? Seriously the B&F votes tend to say that. The second the year b4 was surprising, his inability to chase and get what 5thish this year is a little bit dumbfounding. Happy to have him in the team as a say 8 to 18th player but he was very much exploited by lack of place this year. There is no doubt teams targeted him.

PCM VotesYabby medal votes
James Worpel
115​
James Worpel
48​
Ricky Henderson
104​
Ricky Henderson
44​
Jaegar O’Meara
103​
Jarman Impey
34​
James Sicily
100​
Ben McEvoy
28​
Blake Hardwick
90​
Jaeger O'Meara
27​
Jarman Impey
85​
James Sicily
23​
Liam Shiels
78​
Liam Shiels
19​
Ben McEvoy
75​
Chad Wingard
15​
Luke Breust
73​
Jack Gunston
14​
Ben Stratton
63​
Jonathan Ceglar
11​
Jack Gunston
62​
Shaun Burgoyne
11​
Isaac Smith
62​
Luke Breust
9​
James Frawley
62​
Tom Scully
8​
Chad Wingard
57​
Mitchell Lewis
8​
Tom Scully
56​
Blake Hardwick
7​
Tim O’Brien
49​
Tim O'Brien
5​
Shaun Burgoyne
48​
Jarryd Roughead
4​
Paul Puopolo
47​
Daniel Howe
4​
Mitchell Lewis
36​
James Frawley
4​
Daniel Howe
35​
Jack Scrimshaw
3​
Jonathon Ceglar
34​
James Cousins
2​
James Cousins
25​
Isaac Smith
1​
Jarryd Roughead
21​
Kaiden Brand
1​
Oliver Hanrahan
20​
Conor Nash
19​
Jack Scrimshaw
11​
Grant Birchall
10​
Harry Morrison
8​
Conor Glass
6​
David Mirra
6​
Changkouth Jiath
5​
Marc Pittonet
4​
Kaiden Brand
4​
Dylan Moore
3​
Interesting. In one system only the top five get votes. in the other anyone who plays well gets votes.
Am I the only one surprised that Stratton outpolled Frawley?
To me Chip had a really solid year playing on the opposition teams number 1 forwards whereas Stratts had an absolute mare of a year.
Could have been a few pity votes tossed his way given his well documented struggles adapting to his role as captain?

To me Chip had a really solid year playing on the opposition teams number 1 forwards whereas Stratts had an absolute mare of a year.
Could have been a few pity votes tossed his way given his well documented struggles adapting to his role as captain?
Or maybe he didn’t have “a mare of a year” and did what his coaches asked of him often enough to poll some votes?

He may have pinched a few votes from others.

Not a single vote for Stratts in the Yabby medal gives a pretty good representation of the kind of year he had.
Yes because the locals on this board have more credibility than the coach and assistant coaches mate. No one picked Gibson to win it in 2015

Yes because the locals on this board have more credibility than the coach and assistant coaches mate. No one picked Gibson to win it in 2015
Okay let's make this really straight forward.
Who here thinks that across the entirety of the season Ben Stratton was on average one of our best 10 players over 2019?
Every game I watched he was consistently in the bottom 3 (both statistically and general impact on the game) apart from a handful of games towards the end of the season in which he performed well.
For him to have finished top 10 in the B&F after a season like that is flat out weird.
And you're point about Gibson is somewhat incognourous as although not many on Big Footy would have picked him as the winner of the Crimmins medal the years he won he was widely recognised by all and sundry as having excellent years across those seasons (making the all Australian squad of 40, racking up 30 possession games, etc) and he was up against some handy footballers (Mitch, Hodgey, etc).

Back