BigFooty Official Big Footy Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes mate you are done. We will aim to do a rookie if people keen. Might do it with a smaller number of us if people opt out.

I reckon we have 1 free spot after Lienert and Ladhams upgrade, as that brings us to 39 on the main list, so if we were going to 40, then we'd have 1 pick left, but doesn't matter

Last edited:
Maybe I'm just a bad judge, but I actually have four top 50 prospects left on the board. So I'm pretty happy to have these two later picks...

Pick 70 Fremantle - Callum Jamieson
Callum Jamieson - 199cm, 84kg ruck from Claremont, WA

If WA didn't have Luke Jackson, then I think Jamieson would have put his name right up there as the best ruck in the draft. Unfortunately he just didn't get the chance to show what he could do at the Champs. But I do still have Jamieson as the #2 ruck prospect personally, just edging out Charlie Comben.

Jamieson is a project player, and will need a couple of seasons to really build his body and put on the strength necessary to compete in the ruck. But I just like the way he goes about his game, he's reasonably athletic and mobile for someone his height. He works hard all game, and it shows in his disposal and tackle numbers. That's one of the reasons I rate him over Comben and Nick Bryan, he just gets involved in the play more and I feel his ruck work will only improve as he gets stronger.

My sample size is smaller than with other players, but I do like what I've seen and he'd fit well for Fremantle. It makes more sense than paying a high price for Jackson given we have Darcy and Lobb already, plus Meek can be fast tracked in the WAFL as the lead ruck while Jamieson develops.

Pick 71 Fremantle - Cooper Sharman
Cooper Sharman - 192cm, 79kg forward from Oakleigh Chargers

At this point, I'm all about potential and I'd be very happy to pick up Sharman this late. I suspect he could go somewhere closer to the 40 mark, so he's a good consolation prize after not being in a position to get Taylor or Georgiades.

There was a bit written about him earlier in the year, being the biggest bolter of the draft. He started the season playing suburban football having previously been playing in NSW, before getting a call up to the NAB League after a lot of recruiter interest. It doesn't look like he'll go as early as someone like Sam Sturt, but a national draft selection looks likely and that's impressive for the 19 year old who missed out on the GWS Academy.

His testing at the Combine was pretty average, but I don't think it matches the way he plays on the ground. And I suspect a few preseasons will see him quickly improve on his personal bests. But on the field, he's a dangerous forward - excellent overhead mark and goal sense, he can play the more traditional leading forward role but also has the x factor to just make things happen. He's just very raw, but with a very high ceiling.

Maybe I'm just a bad judge, but I actually have four top 50 prospects left on the board. So I'm pretty happy to have these two later picks...

I've still got 6 top 50 left

I’m surprised no one has considered any delisted free agents.

I’m not sure of the rules or unspoken agreements clubs have in regards to delisted free agents clubs have committed to redrafting in the rookie draft.

But if I was a team that needed an inside mid, I surely would have looked at Corey Lyons from the Brisbane Lions with a later pick.

Once Philps was off the board, I struggle to see an inside mid I would draft and expect anywhere close to the out put CLyons would give a team.

If it wasn’t for our spectacular run without injuries, CLyons would have got a run in our midfield this season.

He was easily our best inside mid, week in, week out in our NEAFL team.

I’m surprised no one has considered any delisted free agents.

I’m not sure of the rules or unspoken agreements clubs have in regards to delisted free agents clubs have committed to redrafting in the rookie draft.

But if I was a team that needed an inside mid, I surely would have looked at Corey Lyons from the Brisbane Lions with a later pick.

Once Philps was off the board, I struggle to see an inside mid I would draft and expect anywhere close to the out put CLyons would give a team.

If it wasn’t for our spectacular run without injuries, CLyons would have got a run in our midfield this season.

He was easily our best inside mid, week in, week out in our NEAFL team.
Can always get him in Rookie draft or SPP. Don't need to waste a senior list spot.

Pick 72 - Carlton - Callum Park

He has a lovely height about him and his frame is the main concern. He has the ability to find the ball which is handy and once again a lovely left footer. Adding some footskills to the mix is always handy. At this point in the draft youre looking for enough AFL qualities and Park has enough. Solid marking skills, great kicking and speed. Just needs to work on his tank and frame, so probably more a rookie option but Ive heard a few clubs are interested in him.

Last edited:
Can always get him in Rookie draft or SPP. Don't need to waste a senior list spot.
I’m not sure you understand my post.

Lions have committed to redrafting him in the rookie draft. Which means you won’t be able to pick him up in the SSP.

From what I understand, there’s an unspoken rule between clubs not to draft players with a promise in the rookie draft.

I wanted to get peoples views who might be more familiar with the system and how clubs operate.

I’m not sure you understand my post.

Lions have committed to redrafting him in the rookie draft. Which means you won’t be able to pick him up In the SSP.

From what I understand, there’s an unspoken rule between clubs not to draft players with a promise in the rookie draft.

I wanted to get peoples views who might be more familiar with the system and how clubs operate.
Nobody pick him up here is their view.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 75 - North Melbourne - Brady Rowles
186cm 75kg

Rebound Defender/Wingman

Rowles is a player with plenty of upside and some elite traits that make him the perfect type of player to take late or as a rookie, certainly some areas to clean up but if a club can bring out his elite traits. Rowles is a dasher in the same mould as Connor McKenna he can burn off oppents with ease and really gain some metres for his team, eh also has a good leap which he doesn’t use often enough and some confidence in the air could really make him a threat down back being able to play on talls and smalls with his height and speed covering a lot of types.

Rowles’s kicking is a concern and his contested side and endurance also need some work but some time in an elite environment would do him good. Rowles best is eye catching and he has plenty of scope and i could see him really floutshing in the right environment at a club like Richmond/Hawthorn.

Why North?
North could use some more pace and depth in this position and this late they can afford to take a punt on Rowles upside and he could turn into a player like McKenna and complete let changing how North move the ball from defensive 50.

Players Considered: Louis Butler, Lachlan Potter, Ben Johnson, Sam Ramsay, Ryan Sparkes, Leo Connolly, Kaden Schrieber

Knightmare

Last edited:
Collingwood #76 Sam Lowson

In the mix as a forward, Sam Lowson was one of the favourites to feature during the mid-season draft but unfortunately got hurt at the wrong time, hurting his ankle just days before the draft. Dangerous around goal, Lowson is a good finisher, damaging at ground level, a good athlete who possesses speed, a high leap and applies heavy forward pressure.

Position on draft board: 36
--
Rationale: Best available and while not a need after those first two is someone I can justify from the perspective that if he comes good it allows Collingwood to either move less talented forwards out or give the likes of De Goey and Stephenson more time up the field to expand their games and impact games in more ways.

Collingwood lack a good speedy crumber who can bring forward pressure and Lowson is the best and most ready outside the AFL to provide this.

Pick #77 Richmond - Daniel Mott
Calder Cannons/Vic Metro | Balanced Midfielder
01/05/2001 | 183cm | 80kg

An interesting prospect who showed plenty as a bottom-ager and has improved in different ways in 2019. He is a touch slow and does lack that athleticism/endurance combo, but has natural footballing traits. If you can overlook areas which can be built up over time, then Mott offers plenty to a Richmond midfield that took that inside body of Darcy Chirgwin in the last pick. Mott is that smaller type with high footy IQ and neat skills, particularly when in time and space. He can hit-up that 45-degree kick to pinpoint an opponent between defenders. He was captain of Calder this season and was aided by the fact Matt Rowell and Noah Anderson were in the Metro midfield, having the burden of the inside load taken off him and he could go to work between inside and outside. At this pick he's good value for mine because of his kicking and decision making ability. The athleticism is a bit of a worry and he tends to play better with better players around him, but again, Richmond might be the perfect club for him to fill in and play a role. If they can develop him further, he could be a value get this late.

AsterixTheGaul

Macca19 & Snoop Dog

Port's only had the 3 picks (McAsey, Worral, Mead).

Did we pass or get skipped? We only have 39 on the main list.

Somehow me asking if we have 1 or 3 picks left ended up with us somehow having zero picks left and others picking before it was determined.

Not sure how we lost a pick

I was going to take Sharman but dont worry about going back now, its too messy.

Ill take Emerson Jeka

Emerson is a 197cm KPP who's year didn't go to plan. He started the season as a potential first round pick but some wavering form and a mid season knee injury has seen him fall down the draft order. Despite that, there is undeniable talent there. He is a contested marking machine, capable of clunking marks under pressure and in pack situations. He is a decent athlete, leads hard up the ground, has good agility and has impressive pace to create seperation on his opponent. At the moment he looks best as a CHF where he can lead up the ground more, but he can play closer to goal and even down back which he did for Western during the year.

Where he lets himself down is his kicking for goal can be troublesome, as well as not attacking the ball as well as he could on occasion. Even though he is a great contested mark, he doesn't fly for his marks as often as he could and sometimes waits for the ball to hit the ground in contests.

Picking up 3 KPP wasn't in the planning in this draft, but in the 70's, Jeka has too much raw potential to overlook at this point.

Last edited:
Sydney Pick 78

Lachlan Potter – rebounding defender, outside midfield

Vic Metro, Northern Knights

184cm, 70kg

For Sydney, I feel the need for speed. He is quick and is serious about breaks lines, often seen with ball in hand breaking away from the contest. Like Petruccelle, he is not afraid to back himself in and at times looks very daring and confident. Potter was used in the carnival as a rebounding defender and has also been used as an outside midfielder. Needs to work on hitting targets and decision making because speed alone will not make it. Some time in the Sydney system should be beneficial in gaining composure and making better decisions after breaking lines.

Rationale: Sydney have the inside grunt covered and this would complement the list. I am looking look for a player with differentiating traits that will stand out and have a good chance of transitioning as elite at the AFL level. There will likely be some deficiencies and Potter needs to find his best position and how best to use his attributes.

back to you Pie 4 Life

Pick 63 Nick Bryan 202cm 87kg Ruck Oakleigh Chargers

Bryan’s last month of footy was too compelling not to be taken here. He is the 2nd best ruckman in the draft with athletic upside and a heap of footy development left in him. In the nabgrand final Bryan showed what he can become an athletic tap ruckman who can mark around the ground, win footy and be a factor.
Like all young ruckman Nick is going to have to find size as quickly as he can but I thought he showed a greater aptitude to compete when he came back from school footy which was my big worry on him.

Rationale for Pick
Bellchambers and Phillips if luck have 2 to 3 good years. Draper is the anointed one but hardly played footy and done a knee. Bryan has the athletic profile and enough footy pedigree to take here and invest time into. He has a high ceiling and frankly shares some athletic traits of Brodie Grundy. Not that I think he will be quite that level of player.

There are two players I think are intriguing and severely underrated here which I may get in rookie draft.

Love the pick foj. Bryan rucked and played very well in both the GF and the Aussie game on the G early in the year against the Dees. Has the height, is a thinking ruckman and is athletically gifted.

A great shot this late in the draft. i have him a fair bit higher.

#79 Richmond - Matt McGuinness
Tasmania Devils/Allies | Tall Utility
13/07/2000 | 195cm | 77kg

It was tough to decide between a few players for this last pick for the Tigers, but ended up lobbying for McGuinness who provides great versatility compared to some others his size. He is a tall who can also do well at ground level, but it is his aerial ability that makes him stand out. An 89cm running vertical jump and 72cm standing vertical jump are testament to that. But McGuinness has a long, penetrating kick he uses to pierce through opposition zones, and is capable of dropping back into the hole in the defensive 50, or going forward and clunking a much needed mark inside 50. His endurance needs to improve given he had just 19.4 on the yo-yo test, but generally given his role it does not impact him greatly - think Will Gould in respect to this aspect, but taller and skinnier. He seems to have an impact more often than not and has been a consistent force, and being that year older has an extra year of development in him. He is the type of player I'd feel comfortable taking at this stage of the draft because he could play as that third tall or filling in as a key position player at either end. Once he can build his endurance, I can also picture him as a winger galloping down and putting the ball into the danger zone. His preferred role is that Matt Suckling defensive running game where he takes off from half back and hits a target in space down the wing. He can tend to get forward and launch the odd goal as well.

Chris25 with Fremantle next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back