Best player from the 2010 draft (weakest ever?)

Best player of the 2010 national draft?

• Pick 1 David Swallow

• 4 Andrew Gaff

• 8 Dyson Heppell*

• 9 Dion Prestia

• 11 Tom Lynch

• 19 Isaac Smith

• 26 Jack Darling

• 40 Luke Parker

• 66 Paul Puopolo

• 76 Paul Seedsman

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 27, 2015
🅱️🅰️🥇1️⃣3️⃣
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
🇦🇺
The 2010 draft must surely rank as one weakest with many very good players but an absence of genuine superstars.

Who's your pick for the best player recruited from the 2010 draft?

Think Gaff is probably the best in terms of consistently playing at a high level; but Lynch, Darling and Parker all have a much greater impact on the game when they're on.
Went with Parker. Total gun went on-song and a large reason why Sydney maintained relevance in the latter half of this decade.

Lynch was good for us, possibly (probably:() will be even greater for the Tigers, but he and Darling have only recently found that extra gear.

Gaff very, very good, but in a more even team.

Tom Lynch for me

Consistently kicking 40+ plus goals in an awful team at the Suns

54 goals already this year off of no pre season in a new team with the Tigers.

Think he can establish himself as the best key forward in the game next season if he gets a full pre season with Buddy and Kennedy starting to slow down.

You have to be kidding putting Paul Seedsman and Paul Puopolo in there, surely.
That's the point - the 2010 draft wasn't exactly brimming with future champions.

That's the point - the 2010 draft wasn't exactly brimming with future champions.
But you could have put in Caddy, Atley, Liberatore, Howe, Lyons etc. who are all as good, if not better than those two.

List would have made much more sense without those two.

Prestia. Voted with bias, but is more important than gets credit for I feel.

Not counting Houli, who was a PSD selection but had already been at another club, compared to say Hibberd who was drafted into the AFL via PSD rather than changing clubs, the best 22 of this year is pretty good still:

B: Howe, Jonas, Hibberd
HB: B.Smith, McGovern, Seedsman
C: Gaff, Heppell, Polec
HF: I.Smith, Darling, Caddy
F: Puopolo, Lynch, J.Cripps
Foll: Lycett, Parker, Prestia
Bench: T.McDonald, Liberatore, Swallow, Jenkins

Pretty solid. Lynch has the opportunity to be this (national) drafts genuine star now, but Gaff, Parker, Darling are all genuine guns and Prestia, Heppell don't get a lot of their due plaudits. McGovern has made 5 straight AA squads and 4 teams and is a HoF lock now. I.Smith and Puopolo have won 3 flags. Hibberd, Howe, Polec, Jonas, B.Smith, Caddy, Cripps, Lycett, McDonald, Liberatore, Swallow, Jenkins has multiple flags, B&F's, AA's in it, good talls and flexibility.

The draft does lack a genuine top 3 midfielder like a Dangerfield, Fyfe, Pendlebury etc. But that's about it. Underrated draft especially when Lynch and Darling could end up with 500-600 goals and McGovern the best key defender of his generation, that's a solid spine.

I reckon with a full preseason, or anything better than what he had, Lynch is going to kick 70 goals next year for the Tigers. I reckon he might be one of those fast careers though, by 29 or 30 he might drop off as he's a huge man which would take it's toll on the body moving around and injuries might cripple him, had a few already. Reckon hes got 3 elite seasons ahead of him though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lynch is the best

Any other vote is bias or stupidity

This is my best 22 from this draft, including all three drafts as well as GC's zone selections

B: Tom Jonas (RD Pick 16) – Jeremy McGovern (RD Pick 44) - Michael Hibberd (PSD Pick 4)
HB: Jeremy Howe (Pick 33) – Steven May (Zone selection) – Brodie Smith (Pick 14)
C: Andrew Gaff (Pick 4) – Dion Prestia (Pick 9) – Isaac Smith (Pick 19)
HF: Luke Dahlhaus (RD Pick 22) – Tom J. Lynch (Pick 11) – Jamie Cripps (Pick 24)
F: Josh Caddy (Pick 7) – Jack Darling (Pick 27) – Josh Jenkins (RD Pick 12)
R: Charlie Dixon (Zone selection) – Dyson Heppell (Pick 8) – Luke Parker (Pick 40)
I: Tom Liberatore (Pick 41) – Tom McDonald (Pick 53) – David Swallow (Pick 1) – Jared Polec (Pick 5)

There's no semi-decent ruck from this draft so I just put Dixon in there. Jarryd Lyons, Jason Johannisen Paul Puopolo, Cam Guthrie and Rory Thompson among those stiff to miss.

Not a draft decked with stars but it's a pretty deep one with lots of serviceable fellas going around.

This is my best 22 from this draft, including all three drafts as well as GC's zone selections

B: Tom Jonas (RD Pick 16) – Jeremy McGovern (RD Pick 44) - Michael Hibberd (PSD Pick 4)
HB: Jeremy Howe (Pick 33) – Steven May (Zone selection) – Brodie Smith (Pick 14)
HF: Luke Dahlhaus (RD Pick 22) – Tom J. Lynch (Pick 11) – Jamie Cripps (Pick 24)
R: Charlie Dixon (Zone selection) – Dyson Heppell (Pick 8) – Luke Parker (Pick 40)
I: Tom Liberatore (Pick 41) – Tom McDonald (Pick 53) – David Swallow (Pick 1) – Jared Polec (Pick 5)

There's no semi-decent ruck from this draft so I just put Dixon in there. Jarryd Lyons, Jason Johannisen Paul Puopolo, Cam Guthrie and Rory Thompson among those stiff to miss.

Not a draft decked with stars but it's a pretty deep one with lots of serviceable fellas going around.
Scott Lycett was pick 29. Michael Barlow unlucky, would have him over JJ.

Scott Lycett was pick 29. Michael Barlow unlucky, would have him over JJ.
Touché he was indeed.

Barlow however was the 2010 rookie draft which is technically the 2009 draft. It's an annoying confusion, I wish the AFL would change the history books and rename the rookie drafts to the same year as its preceding national draft. I could be wrong but I believe originally the rookie draft was in January hence the different year to the national draft.

Touché he was indeed.

Barlow however was the 2010 rookie draft which is technically the 2009 draft. It's an annoying confusion, I wish the AFL would change the history books and rename the rookie drafts to the same year as its preceding national draft. I could be wrong but I believe originally the rookie draft was in January hence the different year to the national draft.
No, you're right, I looked at the 2010 draft and it was an upgrade. Still, it looks unbalanced, would have someone like Mitch Wallis there instead of JJ perhaps.

Parker has had the best career so far, but I think most clubs would take Lynch out of everyone in that list - players like him are rarer.

How on earth does Dahlhaus get a game ahead of Puopolo?...Poppy has played 190 games to Dahl's 177, kicked 181 goals as compared to Dahl's 124 & played in 3 Premierships to Dahl's 1.....His numbers are superior to Dahl & you haven't even got him on the bench....Give it a rest.

Back