Recruiting Draft Watch - Jones, Bryan, Johnson, Cahill, Hibberd in

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, so have calmed down a bit after last nights antics and have to say the picks after reading and listening to some analysis start to sit ok with me.

Harry Jones - Obviously I had built up quite an affinity towards Jake Riccardi, even suggesting he could play games as early as 2020 which didn't help my open mindedness toward other KPF options. Jones some rated as a top 20 selection so getting him where we did is a good piece of business.

Nick Bryan - I wasn't sold on selecting a ruck when so many are taken much later in the draft process but Bryan could buck that trend as others have pointed out. He gets involved around the ground (ave. 13 at NAB level), is a good tap ruckmen (ave. 25 hitouts at NAB level) and throws his body around (couple of tackles a game). Was disappointed we didn't take Jay Rantall here but he is a similar player to Dylan Shiel already, even if we don't agree with it, Bryan is a good selection in hindsight.

Ned Cahill - Genuine small forward with good goal sense who wins his own footy as well. Went ok at Championships level and continued at NAB league level.

Lachlan Johnson - I was flabbergasted we went with a guy who (a) won't play in 2020, but (b) is a player in a position we are well stocked in. Looking back now, Johnson is set to be placed on the LTI list which opens up a spot for us so essentially getting 2 - for - 1 and by the time he is playing, we will have a better understanding of where our medium forward battery of players are at.

I am still seriously hoping we don't pick up Jacob Townsend. Premiership player or not, hard as a cats head or not, good fella or not. His position (def fwd) is not something of great urgency now, look to fill other positions.

With the rookie draft try and fill it with an inside midfielder and see if AD can be funky by listing a zone selection such as Adam Tipungwuti (cat B rookie).

Premiership player or not, hard as a cats head or not, good fella or not. His position (def fwd) is not something of great urgency now, look to fill other positions.

I agree with you on the position arguement, however the three points I've bolded are something we severely lack (with exception to good blokes)

Some players bring more than just a position on a field. I'd be keen on him on what he can instill, if only for a season or two.

I agree with you on the position arguement, however the three points I've bolded are something we severely lack (with exception to good blokes)

Some players bring more than just a position on a field. I'd be keen on him on what he can instill, if only for a season or two.

That is something I am struggling to accept but it could be a decent outcome for the list mentality.

ok, so have calmed down a bit after last nights antics and have to say the picks after reading and listening to some analysis start to sit ok with me.

Harry Jones - Obviously I had built up quite an affinity towards Jake Riccardi, even suggesting he could play games as early as 2020 which didn't help my open mindedness toward other KPF options. Jones some rated as a top 20 selection so getting him where we did is a good piece of business.

Nick Bryan - I wasn't sold on selecting a ruck when so many are taken much later in the draft process but Bryan could buck that trend as others have pointed out. He gets involved around the ground (ave. 13 at NAB level), is a good tap ruckmen (ave. 25 hitouts at NAB level) and throws his body around (couple of tackles a game). Was disappointed we didn't take Jay Rantall here but he is a similar player to Dylan Shiel already, even if we don't agree with it, Bryan is a good selection in hindsight.

Ned Cahill - Genuine small forward with good goal sense who wins his own footy as well. Went ok at Championships level and continued at NAB league level.

Lachlan Johnson - I was flabbergasted we went with a guy who (a) won't play in 2020, but (b) is a player in a position we are well stocked in. Looking back now, Johnson is set to be placed on the LTI list which opens up a spot for us so essentially getting 2 - for - 1 and by the time he is playing, we will have a better understanding of where our medium forward battery of players are at.

I am still seriously hoping we don't pick up Jacob Townsend. Premiership player or not, hard as a cats head or not, good fella or not. His position (def fwd) is not something of great urgency now, look to fill other positions.

With the rookie draft try and fill it with an inside midfielder and see if AD can be funky by listing a zone selection such as Adam Tipungwuti (cat B rookie).
Townsend is a done deal, so brace yourself.

So we currently have two rookies (McQuillan and Snelling). Leaving two open spots.

With Johnson on the LTI that gives us an additional SSP, so we essentially have three more guys we can bring in. Because we got Bryan I imagine we can kiss goodbye to the idea of Bowman.

Townsend is going to be a SSP, but it looks like we will have two open rookie spots today to use if we want both. Hibberd, Partington and maybe a guy like Chirgwin or Cooley a chance for an inside mid.

Is this right?

Very pissed at the Johnson selection. We could have gotten him Cat B easily. Cahill also a baffling one. Gimme a combination of Chirgwin/Hibberd/Cooley tomorrow please.

Bianco fills a small need in terms of a small defender
He was father son listed a rookie so we had to take him in the national draft to acquire him. They will turn Johnson into a small defender, so he fills that need.

He was father son listed a rookie so we had to take him in the national draft to acquire him. They will turn Johnson into a small defender, so he fills that need.
Yeah didn't realize that. I agree he fills a need in that way though.

So we take one rookie (Chirgwin or Cooley), Townsend in the SSP and who else as one?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So we take one rookie (Chirgwin or Cooley), Townsend in the SSP and who else as one?
If it isn't Hibberd I would love to see Jye Bolton get a shot. He is older at 27 but we are trying to win finals so he is the right demographic.

187cm midfielder who can play inside and outside and has dominated the WAFL for the best part of 4 years (two Sandover medals to show for it). Highly doubt anyone picks him up in either draft and is a perfect SSP

If it isn't Hibberd I would love to see Jye Bolton get a shot. He is older at 27 but we are trying to win finals so he is the right demographic.

187cm midfielder who can play inside and outside and has dominated the WAFL for the best part of 4 years (two Sandover medals to show for it). Highly doubt anyone picks him up in either draft and is a perfect SSP
I'm hoping for Foote from the SANFL. Former Swan.

Dodoro mentioned that we would take one more in the rookie draft today and then an SPP pick.

But by my calculations we can take another one as well if Johnson is inactive.

Mcquillan, Snelling, whoever we take today and Townsend is a full rookie list, but with an inactive player we do have the option to take another, but we could well sit on that for a couple of months

What will we get out of stockpiling on small forwards? Waste of a list spot.

Works for the Tigers, I don’t think we have a plethora either. Raz with injuries, Snelling and Moz still to prove themselves.

Lore updating your future pick tracker must be a nightmare after last night haha
You should see the mess they made of it last year. It took a few days and probably a dozen people to put it right and there were still minor edits ages afterwards. The AFL is useless at providing information about exactly what picks have been traded during the draft.

I was for taking two talls in the 30s I mentioned it as a list need at the time (but not a Rickman).

It's hard to see H.Jones, Draper, N.Bryan playing in the same side in 3 years time? How does it fit. I feel like we've hedged our bets and thinking one doesn't make it (which is fair) the history would tell us at least one doesn't make it.

Francis - Brand - Zerk Thatcher - Mcquillan - Draper - N.Bryan - H.Jones - Gown - Other tall academy fwd (Sets us up for the future spine fairly ok and that's if JoeD leaves)

I have a feeling were confident we can get O.Wines, B.Crouch or an inside mid from Sydney for Daniher/Fantasia deals

As a fan and as other fans I'd almost be resigned to losing at least one of Fanta/Daniher in 12 months... Maybe both

Cooley, Chirgwin or Hibberd in the rookie draft

Watching the interview of Dodoro after the draft, they asked if he was happy.

He seemed genuinely miffed. He said he was happy with the boys we got but said that with no first rounder and no NGA boys it made it really hard to do anything of note to improve our position.

Said that you could see how the 1st round was manipulated by clubs with NGA prospects (Freo and Port etc) and with no first rounder we were on the outer. Noted we haven't had any NGA guys so it makes it hard to be involved in. Also said they just had to nail our early picks and set up for next year.

MY Analysis:
We probably had a bunch of guys we had targeted who went earlier than we thought (Philp, Dow, Schoenberg) and a bunch of guys who slid (Kemp, Robertsen) that we wanted but no one wanted to trade for our picks which ended up being late 2nd rounders.

All in all any plans we had - midfielders or not - probably went out the window after the first round and despitr desperately trying to move up for Robertsen or Schoenberg (as claimed by Mick Ablett last night) we couldnt. So we loaded up on talls and will hit the draft next year. Brand and Eyre probably dictated the late picks swaps for futures to get points. all in all a frustrating night where we just had to make lemonade out of lemons.

D.Smith, Fantasia, Mosquito, Tippa, Snelling, N.Cahill, L.Johnson (seems a plethora)

However
Heppell, Shiel, Z.Merrett, Parish, A McGrath, D Smith, D.Clarke, Langford, Zaharakis, Cutler, Guelfi, Ham, K.Mutch (Seems a solid depth of midfield)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back