Resource 2019 Draft Watch (we have picks 6 24 25 39 46)

Who will we take with our first pick (#6) in the 2019 draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So not 1 of you will admit you should have honoured the deal and traded down?

As previously said you had leverage over Freo to ensure they wouldn't take McAsy. All you had to do was call them and ask are you taking Mcasy? If you leave him till 9 we won't bid on Henry. At least acknowledge that part?

You guys seemed to be really enjoying the death riding thread at the mid point of the season, what changed?

There was no deal though. Why didn’t sos honour the for Gibbs? You’re a moron and and a hypocrite.

Mods can we ban this guy? Just repeats the same bs, he’s incapable of proper discussion or that sos screwed the trade.

We got the player we wanted and Carlton didn't, do Carlton fans really want to blame Reid? We achieved our goal, blame SOS for trying to offer us unders.

Can't wait to watch the anual Carlton getting flogged by Richmond in the seaaon opener to dash all their fans dreams for like the 10th time in a row

Goes to show that you rarely ever get more than 2 good players from each draft (including holding onto them).

We really need to nail 2018-19-20. Lots of picks under 40 there.
To me it suggests poor drafting and more probably youth development. 2016/7 seem bad years with no players really establishing themselves. I am glad we have decided to go big(lots of picks) at the draft.

That's crazy money for a average player. Will cause players in the club to ask for more.
They are banking on him turning in to the star he was touted to be as the last 3 years will be on 300K a year. If he did suddenly become a star of the comp you can guarantee he and his manager are looking for a trade after year 2. If he plods along like he has then it's another typical Carlton decision.

To me it suggests poor drafting and more probably youth development. 2016/7 seem bad years with no players really establishing themselves. I am glad we have decided to go big(lots of picks) at the draft.

Can also see a lot of SA players selected crossed off as well

2016/17 should correct itself a tad next year, seeing Himmelberg, Gallucci, and Fogarty should all get a good chunk of games, as we've cleared a lot of players and they're all likely to pick up game time from it.

It does also show the dangers of thinking you're a contender for too long though, seeing that group should be far more advanced.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hearing a few interviews from people at the club it feels like we are still in denial about the state of our list. The continual 'the list is better than people think it is' coming from Hamish and others is just silly talk. Our midfield is still one paced and one way and our rookie draft picks scream safe and low risk low reward where we should be trying to unearth gems. I do like what we did the main draft though.

Hearing a few interviews from people at the club it feels like we are still in denial about the state of our list. The continual 'the list is better than people think it is' coming from Hamish and others is just silly talk. Our midfield is still one paced and one way and our rookie draft picks scream safe and low risk low reward where we should be trying to unearth gems. I do like what we did the main draft though.

Firstly, clubs won't publically blemish their list. After all, a part of their job is building confidence in the people playing.

Secondly, it probably is in a much better position. Not as much for this year, but future wise seeing the 2018 draft already put a decent dent into whatever rebuild we're undertaking.

Why is it silly talk ?? He's a lot closer to monitoring the talent than you are. He would take what's said in the media about the state of the Crows list personally. When he says that he is looking forward to proving people wrong, he's not doing that cos the club would tell him too, it's because he honestly believes it. He's great at what he does, and has made plenty of posters here look foolish when they state that he's got something wrong or ballsed something up.
As for our midfield being one paced and slow, a new coach and new game plan will give our midfield a completely new look. The problems last year were as much game plan related as they were leg speed related. Brad to build off last year and bring some explosiveness, Matt to do what he does and some youngsters around them, completely different look.

Why is it silly talk ?? He's a lot closer to monitoring the talent than you are. He would take what's said in the media about the state of the Crows list personally. When he says that he is looking forward to proving people wrong, he's not doing that cos the club would tell him too, it's because he honestly believes it. He's great at what he does, and has made plenty of posters here look foolish when they state that he's got something wrong or ballsed something up.
As for our midfield being one paced and slow, a new coach and new game plan will give our midfield a completely new look. The problems last year were as much game plan related as they were leg speed related. Brad to build off last year and bring some explosiveness, Matt to do what he does and some youngsters around them, completely different look.
Nice write up and agree ... it is going to be exciting to see a completely different team develop over the next few years .

Interesting looking at the Break up of the players in the 1st round by state/competion. 15 VIC, 3 SA, 2 WA. 1 NSW.

EDITED

1. Matt Rowell - VIC NAB League

2. Noah Anderson - VIC NAB League

3. Luke Jackson - WAFL

4. Lachlan Ash - VIC NAB League

5. Dylan Stephens - SANFL

6. Fischer McAsey - VIC NAB League

7. Hayden Young - VIC NAB League

8. Caleb Serong - VIC NAB League

9. Liam Henry - WAFL

10. Tom Green - NEAFL NSW

11. Sam Flanders - VIC NAB League

12. Kysiaih Kropinyeri-Pickett - SANFL

13. Will Day - SANFL

14. Miles Bergman - VIC NAB League

15. Cody Weightman - VIC NAB League

16. Cooper Stephens - VIC NAB League

17. Brodie Kemp - VIC NAB League

18. Mitch Georgiades - WAFL

19. Sam De Koning - VIC NAB League

20. Sam Philp - VIC NAB League

21. Thomson Dow - VIC NAB League

Last edited:
Getting hold of the footy and using it better can combat lack of leg speed I’m curious how Nicks is going to formulate this, as far as our list I think it’s sound and building

Getting hold of the footy and using it better can combat lack of leg speed I’m curious how Nicks is going to formulate this, as far as our list I think it’s sound and building

In theory. In practice with an ever involving defensive strategy not as much. Especially as on the other side of the spectrum, leg speed is even more vital.

Hawthorn is well and truly the exception, not the rule.

Interesting looking at the Break up of the players in the 1st round by state/competion. 14 VIC, 3 SA, 2 WA. 1 NSW.

1. Matt Rowell - VIC NAB League

2. Noah Anderson - VIC NAB League

3. Luke Jackson - WAFL

4. Lachlan Ash - VIC NAB League

5. Dylan Stephens - SANFL

6. Fischer McAsey - VIC NAB League

7. Hayden Young - VIC NAB League

8. Caleb Serong - VIC NAB League

9. Liam Henry - WAFL

10. Tom Green - NEAFL NSW

11. Sam Flanders - VIC NAB League

12. Kysiaih Kropinyeri-Pickett - SANFL

13. Will Day - SANFL

14. Miles Bergman - VIC NAB League

15. Cody Weightman - VIC NAB League

16. Cooper Stephens - VIC NAB League

17. Brodie Kemp - VIC NAB League

18. Mitch Georgiades - WAFL

19. Sam De Koning - VIC NAB League

20. Sam Philp - VIC NAB League

21. Thomson Dow - VIC NAB League
I’m glad you’ve got a keen eye for talent identification, because your maths sucks.

I agree 100%, didn’t the club say they were after speed in the midfield? Then they go after all these talls.

A lot of mixed messages for my point of view. If we are rebuilding then it’s smart to take talls this year and get some midfielders in the next few draft, but then we take 2 mature players in the rookie draft. We can’t have it both ways. We need to accept that we need a rebuild and take a few years near the bottom and play the kids to challenge for a flag. Having a bit of young and then mature players will leave us mediocre forever.

I’m really confused by Hamish as well, 2 years in a row we have had good top 35 pick to regenerate our list but he trades them for later pick. Also doesn’t take young players in the rookie draft or our full quota of players. I’m starting to lose confidence in his decision making. He has been good so far but making many odd decisions

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I agree 100%, didn’t the club say they were after speed in the midfield? Then they go after all these talls.

A lot of mixed messages for my point of view. If we are rebuilding then it’s smart to take talls this year and get some midfielders in the next few draft, but then we take 2 mature players in the rookie draft. We can’t have it both ways. We need to accept that we need a rebuild and take a few years near the bottom and play the kids to challenge for a flag. Having a bit of young and then mature players will leave us mediocre forever.

I’m really confused by Hamish as well, 2 years in a row we have had good top 35 pick to regenerate our list but he trades them for later pick. Also doesn’t take young players in the rookie draft or our full quota of players. I’m starting to lose confidence in his decision making. He has been good so far but making many odd decisions

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We might be rebuilding, but we'd be smart to avoid the trap that Carlton/Saints/Dees/Lions/Suns fell into. One, maybe two at most drafts at the bottom. Anymore, and 2020s will be a decade where we'll be rooted there. From that, there is still a balance needed between experience and youth that is required. After all, you do need experienced players to guide development, and set the standards, and both of Crocker/Keays are high character people. We'll also need a strong SANFL side to make sure the players on a longer development track don't get impeded by role changes/beltings etc. Both could make an impact as a role player as well, which would be a nice bonus.

Equally, we're working off our talent list. If you can guarantee you'll get the same player slightly lower, you may as well trade that pick out and get more.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back