Training 2020 Preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

I've got no problem with media types having opinions and standing out from the crowd. I just have a problem with Cornes, because I believe he does it entirely to make headlines and build a media career. He's the Piers Morgan of AFL - says inflammatory things that he doesn't even really believe because he knows he can build a career as the 'controversial' type that way.

Yep, doesn't have any redeeming qualities either. At least Damian Barrett occasionally breaks news and has a very weird weekly column that I look forward to hate reading. Kane was just created by Hutchy/CrocMedia to generate clicks.

I don't even dislike troll controversial types in other sports either and I can find them entertaining e.g. Stephen A Smith. But Kane's delivery of his 'controversial' takes is so boring and deadpan.

Might be a flog but TBF since he's retired, he's turned himself into a high quality (sub 2.20) marathon runner and could probably beat half our squad in the 2 kms time trial running at his average marathon pace let alone running flat out - so I doubt he'd be quitting
Good for him, doesn’t lower the flog level and he’s not running sub 2.20 marathons unless he’s ranked top 10 in Australia.

Last edited:
Did you include the dog? and my daughter?

There was also the 4 ladies on the hill. So easily a dozen+ spectators.

Roll call (to the best of my memory):-

You
Your 14 month old daughter(cute)
Me
My son Steve
My other son Pat's friend Lewis
Doug
Doug's wife
Shane
The other Doug
Jason (mp)
MRobbo's wife
MRobbo's daughter
and the 4 Ladies on the hill

16!!!! *

*with apologies to the dog

Last edited:
Roll call (to the best of my memory):-

You
Your 14 month old daughter(cute)
Me
My son Steve
My other son Pat's friend Lewis
Doug
Doug's wife
Shane
The other Doug
Jason (pm)
MRobbo's wife
MRobbo's daughter
and the 4 Ladies on the hill

16!!!! *

*with apologies to the dog
lol I wasn’t counting Mrs Robbo or Robbo jnrette.

Attended training session this afternoon, it was good to chat again luthor and to meet you briztoon

- They started with about 30 minutes of stretches/injury prevention routines.
- The whole group (46 on the list I think) did a running drill near the start of the session and I counted 42 players, there was 1 not doing it which was Daniel Rich and then the 3 new boys in Deven Robertson, Jaxon Prior and Brock Smith were later doing quite a few laps leaving 46 players although Bruce Reville was there as well. Marcus Adams the odd one out who I didn't spot at all, he was apparently on a stationary bike most of the time.
- Standard type drills eg. contested work, leading patterns and run run run.
- I thought the players who looked like they were still running on the top of the ground towards the end of the session were > Jarrod Berry, Hugh McCluggage, Corey Lyons, Dayne Zorko, Tom Fullarton.
- Struggling near the end > Alex Witherden, Cam Rayner(still a big improvement on last off season though), Eric Hipwood.
- Connor Ballenden really does have a great kick on him.
- Sam Skinner looked in peak physical condition.
- Stef Martin trains at a very high intensity.
- Chris Fagan did a lot of laps, didn't see him give any instructions, session run by others.
- On the whole they all looked keen motivated and very fit and healthy, only strapping I recall was Charlie on his calf, it didn't hinder him though, he took part it all the session.

GO LIONS!
I think you’ll find this is new tatt mate. No issue with his calf.

Robertson looks like he has the chassis to mix it on the inside at the level just about.
Yeah, just the vibe watching the three new kids, I reckon Robertson pushes to be included in the team drills ASAP.

I said it at training this arvo, I reckon Robertson debuts before Ely Smith.

And talking about Smith. Brock Smith has more than a touch of Ely about him. Both of them look like the quiet, serious, stoic type.

Yeah, just the vibe watching the three new kids, I reckon Robertson pushes to be included in the team drills ASAP.

And talking about Smith. Brock Smith has more than a touch of Ely about him. Both of them look like the quiet, serious, stoic type.
Really?! They are both inside mids, Smith is bout 4-5 cms taller than him. What wpuld you say are Robertson's strengths and weaknesses over Smith

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw a interview of Brock Smith who said he loves to joke around with team mates. Didn't seem like the quiet type at all

Even though he’s a year younger and not as physically big, Robertson has a more advanced game than Ely.

Not sure how you can say that based off seeing them run laps? Ely has had a year of development at an AFL club and Dev just completed his draft year. He may well overtake Ely, but can't see how his game is more advanced than Ely.

Not sure how you can say that based off seeing them run laps? Ely has had a year of development at an AFL club and Dev just completed his draft year. He may well overtake Ely, but can't see how his game is more advanced than Ely.

I reckon Ely was played out of position last year as from memory he was played mainly as a flanker. To me he is an inside mid and hopefully will be trialled in that spot in the reserves. I wasn’t really that impressed with him but see him more as a project player.

I reckon Ely was played out of position last year as from memory he was played mainly as a flanker. To me he is an inside mid and hopefully will be trialled in that spot in the reserves. I wasn’t really that impressed with him but see him more as a project player.

He had a weird year. Was definitely out of position the first half of the year, got injured then played more inside and did a very good job of it. Had to get his tank right but he's looking very fit now.

Last edited:
I think briztoon would be making that assessment off form in the championships where Deven got the Larke medal as the player of the tournament as well as reviews by draft watchers like Callum Twomey and afl draft central.

No doubt at this time last year Ely was rated lower than Deven is now, Deven being rated by most as an elite inside mid with his supposed weakness being his disposal by foot.

Ely is a beast so is more physically developed, it remains to be seen who if either steps up and grabs a senior spot in the early rounds of the season, personally I don't think Ely or Deven play seniors early in 2020 unless there are a few midfield injuries.

Last edited:
I disagree - I think it is better to embrace criticism or implied criticism and deal with it constructively. I think this is a very mature approach by the Club and better for us to be seen as open to the media. I am sure we embedded Fish into our camp last year - a very different scenario but we allowed him open access nevertheless.
Rick, I have a different opinion of what constitutes a mature response.
IMO why even respond, A mature response is “no response.” Respond with on field performance. If we validate every negative opinion where do you stop. Next we’ll have Terry Wallace invited because he thinks we’ll be in for 10 years of pain, or every time Matthew Lloyd takes a pot shot at our expense. So far during Fagan’s time we have ignored all the negative opinions and we have just gone about our business of improving and winning games of football. Suddenly we have become precious and a bit touchy because a media personality who is paid to be controversial has us not making the eight. Really! Who cares what Cornes or any other thinks. We respond with an invite? I guess we now have money to spend for a junket holiday for Cornes, considering the savings we’ve just made making our Media guy redundant.

Jason mp covered most of it.

I think briztoon would be making that assessment off form in the championships where Deven got the Larke medal as the player of the tournament as well as reviews by draft watchers like Callum Twomey and afl draft central.

No doubt at this time last year Ely was rated lower than Deven is now, Deven being rated by most as an elite inside mid with his supposed weakness being his disposal by foot.

Ely is a beast so is more physically developed, it remains to be seen who if either steps up and grabs a senior spot in the early rounds of the season, personally I don't think Ely or Deven play seniors early in 2020 unless there are a few midfield injuries.
I guess the easiest way for me to put it is, do you believe Matt Rowell is ahead of Ely in terms of game sense, skills and ability to impact games?

I believe the same applies to Deven and Ely.

Ely and Dev are different types of inside mids. Ely is more a Dangerfield type inside mid, while Dev is more a Joel Selwood type.

Even though Ely has had a year in the system and is more physically mature, Deven is still closer to reaching a Selwood type level, than Ely is to reaching a Dangerfield type level.

Not that I believe suggesting Ely could reach a Dangerfield type level is fair.

Did you watch the first night of the draft when Carlton drafted Sam Philp at pick 20? And Sheehan called Philp the bolter, on the back of his combine performances rather than his NAB league performance.

Well that was Ely last year. He tested very well at the combine last year.

Though I believe Ely at this stage last year was ahead of where Philp is at this year.

The only difference last year was, there were no sliders.

Twomey has discussed it many times, where recruiters get locked in on a draft target, and can skip a sliding player.

That was Deven this year.

For another perspective you can listen to this podcast, just skip the first 25 to 30 minutes and jump straight to the Brisbane review.

Jason mp I don’t believe any of this years draftees or last years draftees who are yet to debut will get a go before the mid season break.

Maybe Keidean as a small forward, but even then Ah Chee and Cedric Cox probably get a look in up forward before Keidean.

Ellis-Yolmen, Mathieson and CLyons should be the three fighting it out for a spot on the bench, as a travelling emergency and first in if there’s an injury.

Jason mp I don’t believe any of this years draftees or last years draftees who are yet to debut will get a go before the mid season break.

Maybe Keidean as a small forward, but even then Ah Chee and Cedric Cox probably get a look in up forward before Keidean.

Ellis-Yolmen, Mathieson and CLyons should be the three fighting it out for a spot on the bench, as a travelling emergency and first in if there’s an injury.

I reckon matho might get a chance early on but if he doesn't show a bigger impact than last year very quickly he might find that opportunity has passed him by, with Berry 2, Ely and Dev moving ahead of him in the pecking order.

I'm a matho fan so id hate to see that happen but it feels like at this point he hasn't done enough to show he brings something different or superior to the table than any other fringe mid, and the team may prefer to see whether the youngsters are able to deliver at the afl level

Remove this Banner Ad

Back