Training 2020 Preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

As usual great photos Mr Ripper.
I love the "orange netted man on the mark pole"
CEY is a unit but not as ripped as some.
Hodge must be a Queenslander now as he is not wearing a hat or just crazy.
Hot an understatement top temperature today 39 C @ 12.56pm
41 C over in Perth today. Honestlydon't know how the boys do it. I had to take a half day toget out of the heat, surely they wouldn't train in the heat of the day?!

41 C over in Perth today. Honestlydon't know how the boys do it. I had to take a half day toget out of the heat, surely they wouldn't train in the heat of the day?!
I was not at training so not sure when they started, at a guess about 8 am.

Temp at 8.30 am was 30.6 c, at 10.30 am 36 c & 11.30 am 38 c So still hot.

Live in Perth mate PE teacher didn’t get near that despite them saying that . Quite mild .
I live in Perth, think it is different in different areas.Near the ocean,might be cooler. However, l was over in Nollamara area doing lawnmowing etc and it was up around 38/39 with very little wind to cool you off.In saying that,l personally found yesterday hotter, was also about 38

I was not at training so not sure when they started, at a guess about 8 am.

Temp at 8.30 am was 30.6 c, at 10.30 am 36 c & 11.30 am 38 c So still hot.

8am start it is

I can't make Friday morning training either but you would hope that common sense prevailed.

It's been hot in Brisbane this week but today was ridiculously and stupidly hot and dry. There are bushfires raging in rural areas and locally there was a housefire in my suburb in which (according to news reports), a person lost his/her life :(

I'm hoping the lads did some light drills mainly in the shade.

Last thing we need is for our players to literally cook themselves before the season even starts

I live in Perth, think it is different in different areas.Near the ocean,might be cooler. However, l was over in Nollamara area doing lawnmowing etc and it was up around 38/39 with very little wind to cool you off.In saying that,l personally found yesterday hotter, was also about 38

Same as GC being 8-10 cooler than Brisbane tomorrow

Replays of our 2019 games have been my bedtime viewing for the past week or so. One thing that has stood out is what a good player Answorh is and will become. Loves the contested ball, can mark, is very clean with his disposals and has a great footy brain. If you watched him play without knowing where he was drafted, you'd think it was surely in the first round. What a steal!
I try to watch a quarter or so before bed each night. It’s really interesting watching the games with no emotional attachment, you can get a real analytical view. And feels good to stay in touch during the off season. Or maybe I’m just a sad, sad tragic.

And if I’m having trouble sleeping - I find a game with Der-Wayne commentating and put the headphones on. Works beautifully.

I like when he asks himself a question and then answers by repeating his own question word for word with a “you bet” in between. Eg “can Charlie make it two in a row from the pocket?? You bet Charlie can make it two in a row from the pocket!” He makes me laugh. And sleep.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Prior is number 20.
Thanks. I did find a list of WA numbers at quarter time.
I just finished watching the WA v Vic Metro game. I haven't watched a under age game for over 30 years so any of my following comments take with a grain of salt.

It looked a good standard of game. Fast flowing giving certain types of players room to show off their skill set. Enough stoppages (76) to cater for ruck/midfielders. Their appeared to be lots of space going forward. Is this just because of the new 6:6:6 rule or is something else in place in the lower grades.
On this game only i would not have taken Jackson at pick 3.

I mainly wanted to have a look at Jaxon Prior as the 25 second draft clip does not give much insight.
He appears to be a solid type of defender. Just doing a job. Nothing outstanding but he did do some nice things in this game. A few fumbles but he recovered well and did not appear to panic. He is a good size at 188 cm but did look heaver than the 79 kg listed. After the game i looked at his disposals and he was number 7 behind Robertson at 1 for WA. So a solid performance.
I will have a look at the WA v Vic country at another time.
Brock Smith played in that game, so i can see all our new interstate players at once.

Thanks again for the link.

Thanks. I did find a list of WA numbers at quarter time.
I just finished watching the WA v Vic Metro game. I haven't watched a under age game for over 30 years so any of my following comments take with a grain of salt.

It looked a good standard of game. Fast flowing giving certain types of players room to show off their skill set. Enough stoppages (76) to cater for ruck/midfielders. Their appeared to be lots of space going forward. Is this just because of the new 6:6:6 rule or is something else in place in the lower grades.
On this game only i would not have taken Jackson at pick 3.

I mainly wanted to have a look at Jaxon Prior as the 25 second draft clip does not give much insight.
He appears to be a solid type of defender. Just doing a job. Nothing outstanding but he did do some nice things in this game. A few fumbles but he recovered well and did not appear to panic. He is a good size at 188 cm but did look heaver than the 79 kg listed. After the game i looked at his disposals and he was number 7 behind Robertson at 1 for WA. So a solid performance.
I will have a look at the WA v Vic country at another time.
Brock Smith played in that game, so i can see all our new interstate players at once.

Thanks again for the link.
U18 Championships and NAB League have played anti density for as long as I’ve watched.

This years standards were way down on the last three years I’ve watched.

Went down to my 1st morning training session of this off season today-

- Bloody hot and sticky despite some cloud cover.
- I got there just after 8am and they were already doing some running and didn't finish the session till 10.15am.
- Alex Witherden working on his sprinting technique.
- They were doing set shots 30 meters out straight in front or slight angle, hardly anyone missed.
- I tried to count the players there, minimum of 47 but anywhere up to 51.
- 5 academy boys(I summize) that got there a bit late, they just did a few laps, Coleman Jnr was definitely 1 of them, looks like his brother but more physically developed.
- Birchall, Adams, Rich doing solo stuff, mostly running and agility.
- Rich did around an hour of laps, Adams probably 30 minutes.
- Birchall joined in the 3/4 field drill but not Rich and Adams.
- Birchall felt/rubbed his right knee at one stage, didn't hinder the rest of his session.
- They did a lot of contested/clearance stuff ie. 3 on 4, as well as 3/4 field opposed long drills finding a target for a shot on goal.
- CEY is brutal in close, good hands and fend.
- Keidean Coleman has a delightful kick on him, left and right side.
- Half way through the session the whole group corralled into a tight pack and jumped up and down which included some primal guttural chanting eg ooh ahh ooh ahh ooh ahh.
- Luke Hodge was there and looks like he has been in a good paddock already, bit of a belly on him.

Brutal finish to the session-
4 x 400 meters > 4 x 200 meters > 4 x 90 seconds > 4 x 200 meters. (distance/time is my approximation)

- They lined up to do another set and the fella in charge must have said something like "Nah that's enough guys, just kidding" because they all charged him and were laughing and carrying on.
- By the final 4 x 200 McCluggage was running J.Berry into the ground, roughly 10 meters in front of him by the end.
- Cam Rayner was really struggling through it but managed to gut out all the sets, 3-4 dropped out during it, couldn't tell who they were as they started and finished on the other side of the field to me.

Someone's been reading the forums, nice little reassurance in there about the arm :)

Interesting bit right at the end of interview about what should we call him next year
Charles or Charlie. He said he will answer to either but the fans do call out : Charlie

I then visited our website where he is listed as Charles.
Wonder what is on the 2020 membership card?. It was Charlie in 2019.
For some reason i don't see him as a Charles.
Any one else with an opinion.

Went down to my 1st morning training session of this off season today-

- Bloody hot and sticky despite some cloud cover.
- I got there just after 8am and they were already doing some running and didn't finish the session till 10.15am.
- Alex Witherden working on his sprinting technique.
- They were doing set shots 30 meters out straight in front or slight angle, hardly anyone missed.
- I tried to count the players there, minimum of 47 but anywhere up to 51.
- 5 academy boys(I summize) that got there a bit late, they just did a few laps, Coleman Jnr was definitely 1 of them, looks like his brother but more physically developed.
- Birchall, Adams, Rich doing solo stuff, mostly running and agility.
- Rich did around an hour of laps, Adams probably 30 minutes.
- Birchall joined in the 3/4 field drill but not Rich and Adams.
- Birchall felt/rubbed his right knee at one stage, didn't hinder the rest of his session.
- They did a lot of contested/clearance stuff ie. 3 on 4, as well as 3/4 field opposed long drills finding a target for a shot on goal.
- CEY is brutal in close, good hands and fend.
- Keidean Coleman has a delightful kick on him, left and right side.
- Half way through the session the whole group corralled into a tight pack and jumped up and down which included some primal guttural chanting eg ooh ahh ooh ahh ooh ahh.
- Luke Hodge was there and looks like he has been in a good paddock already, bit of a belly on him.

Brutal finish to the session-
4 x 400 meters > 4 x 200 meters > 4 x 90 seconds > 4 x 200 meters. (distance/time is my approximation)

- They lined up to do another set and the fella in charge must have said something like "Nah that's enough guys, just kidding" because they all charged him and were laughing and carrying on.
- By the final 4 x 200 McCluggage was running J.Berry into the ground, roughly 10 meters in front of him by the end.
- Cam Rayner was really struggling through it but managed to gut out all the sets, 3-4 dropped out during it, couldn't tell who they were as they started and finished on the other side of the field to me.
Fantastic report Jason - much appreciated. I wonder what is up with Rich - sounds like he is being held back for some reason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back