afl vs players pay dispute

Remove this Banner Ad

fu** me. Half my mates have lost their jobs and I'm sure mine isn't too far away either, and Danger on $800K is only offering up 50% for two months? None of them should even be paid. They've already had half their pay for the year, so why give them anymore
Too right, based on AFL's request to take a 80% pay cut for 2 months, Dangers annual salary goes from $800k to $694K. Yet he supporting an argument that he should still get $734K in the current climate. Please someone burst this bubble that they are living in!
If an 18 year rookie takes the same 80% pay cut for 2 months, assuming they are on say $100K minimum, they annual salary would be $87K.
AFL players will survive on the AFL's pay cut request when you compare their plight to the average workers around the world.

If my maths is correct a 50% pay cut for 2 months equals a 8.33% cut for the year, at a time when footy departments have been decimated. Tell em they're dreaming. In saying that given that all sponsorships will massively drop over the next couple of years as will advertising the players are going to cop it in the neck after the next tv rights negotiation and all pays will go down then.

Hawthorn veteran Isaac Smith highlighted the precarious nature of the situation.

“It affects everyone differently. Some players will be highly geared with investments and different things,” Smith told Channel Nine’s The Oval Office.

“Other players have cash in the bank and others are basically living paycheck to paycheck, like a lot of Australia.

I want Isaac Smith to explain how an AFL player is living paycheck to paycheck

Does he even know what that means? I'd love to know what his definition 'paycheck to paycheck' is

Players are really tone deaf, Jack Riewoldt was basically saying they should be recognized as heroes because they played one charity game for the bushfires like it was any skin off their nose.

it was actually good ratings for fox and seven which they didnt expect. No mention of that now

Australian employment laws permit employers to "stand down" their employees in certain circumstances. It is why there have been such massive layoffs across Australia already.

AFL doesn't actually need to pay the players anything, but they are negotiating because they have the games long term interests at heart, as well as the players welfare.

The "oh but we have mortgages and other costs of living" sob story by AFL players doesn't fly for me. Going from an average of $350k to $70k for 2 months (80% pay cut) is hardly an oppressive request from the AFL. That means the average wage for 2020 goes from $350k to $303k. Cry me a river!

How about the thousands who went from a $45k salary to $0 as they were laid off? The thousands who won't have $350k pa jobs to go back to in June?

Even if the AFL is finished for 2020 and players take the 80% hit for the whole season. They're still in a better position than a huge chunk of Australia's population.

Danger is the biggest flog to ever grace the AFL. Zero respect for him.
The players have contracts. They're not your average employee that gets 4 weeks notice.

A report that a club stood down 100 out of 130 backroom staff. The thirty backroom staff remain compared to 45 players

isnt that a more realistic number of paid employees?. Id say its more in line with an arts organization like the australian ballet

those just seem like fantastic numbers and no doubt where the fat of the recent years was going, not the players who put the show on

and all this players v afl is a nice diversion from the real question. How could the afl manage itself so badly up till now?

All this talk about potential pay cuts when they shouldn't be getting paid at all; if only the many people that have lost their jobs in Australia had the chance to negotiate how much money they were going to lose out on.

How is it the AFL's fault that they are not playing?
Cause they pulled the pin on the season. The players wanted to play - but the AFL wouldn't allow them to fulfil their contractual obligations.

Of course it's not the AFL's fault, but legally it was them - not the players, that are responsible for the contracts being breached.

Of course the AFL won't to sue the government for causing them to stop the players from playing.

So unless the players stop being campaigners, the AFL will be left carrying the can.

All this talk about potential pay cuts when they shouldn't be getting paid at all; if only the many people that have lost their jobs in Australia had the chance to negotiate how much money they were going to lose out on.

if your union rep talked like that, would you be impressed? Or a lawyer representing you in a dispute (cmon guy people are getting ripped all the time whats one more? Maybe lawyers and doctors should begetting a haircut to help buy more supplies

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reiwoldt bathing himself in glory during this period. "Putting their bodies on the line" for the fire charity game - and using that as an excuse for moderate pay reduction during COVID-19. What a gutter comment...

Don‘t know about other clubs but our guys who played in that game only played 1 other preseason game. It’s not like their workload increased.

Cause they pulled the pin on the season. The players wanted to play - but the AFL wouldn't allow them to fulfil their contractual obligations.

Of course it's not the AFL's fault, but legally it was them - not the players, that are responsible for the contracts being breached.

Of course the AFL won't to sue the government for causing them to stop the players from playing.

So unless the players stop being campaigners, the AFL will be left carrying the can.

how did that quote me? I never posted that question

AFL lawyers should suggest that the AFLPA familiarise themselves with the term 'force majeure'

Obviously there are intricacies, the players aren’t going to say we will take an 80% pay cut to then find out the commission only ever take a 20% cut and that the game had a lot more money then they were making out.
they just made a mess of it. They really should of came out and said they realise they will most likely have to take a bigger cut but still need a better understanding of the financial position on the league before anything can be agreed on and more detail on how the cuts will be rolled out. Simply acknowledging they may have to take a bigger cut would’ve taken the heat off them. They are in a war they can’t win and they know that.

Yes it's funny how management always "share the pain" by reducing their pay by 25% of the amount they expect the employees to accept. Not that I have a lot of sympathy for the players but they haven't had the chance to build up wealth over 40 years like the commissioners have.

Yes it's funny how management always "share the pain" by reducing their pay by 25% of the amount they expect the employees to accept. Not that I have a lot of sympathy for the players but they haven't had the chance to build up wealth over 40 years like the commissioners have.

The players are having their pay docked for 2 months which equals about 8% annually

Gil and CO are taking a 20% reduction in their annual salaries

Now i'm not a rocket scientist but it seems to me like 20% is more than 8%

I think the position of the AFLPA (via its president) that there are many intricacies to work through is totally correct.

Eddie McGuire suggested tonight that it will end up being a case of game needs $____ to continue, cuts need to be made to work backwards from that point. So the cost will be substantial. Thousands laid off across the industry already. Some clubs picking and choosing which staff to stand down based on financial situation and not necessarily role importance says it all.

But back to the players, of course there are intricacies to work through. Like how long does this pay cut last for? What provisions to include if it lasts longer (likely will), it will be ok for the Nat Fyfe, Dangerfield, Pendlebury’s in the comp, they’ve accumulated enough to get by, first and second year draftees might be down to somewhere between $400-600 a week if the 79% gets approved, rightly so they need to know how long for and what clauses are in play for extensions to the shutdown. They have to look after all players.

Poor draftees only $600 a week as an 18-19 year old

Excuse me while I get out the worlds smallest violin for them

The players are having their pay docked for 2 months which equals about 8% annually

Gil and CO are taking a 20% reduction in their annual salaries

Now i'm not a rocket scientist but it seems to me like 20% is more than 8%

Poor draftees only $600 a week as an 18-19 year old

Excuse me while I get out the worlds smallest violin for them
That’s why they have a union. You may not care, but they do.

Don’t bother responding either. I long ago ceased respecting your views. Ciao

Remove this Banner Ad

Back