Science/Environment Wuhan Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Pandemic Declared

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is says you can leave for an emergency. Is not having food an emergency?

It also says if you don't have people that can bring you food contact the Vic department of health. Are they going to bring pizza and sushi? I doubt it

No and no. It's not that hard.

My parents had to do this when they got back. We delivered some to them. They bought some takeaways. Done and done.

It's not that hard

No and no. It's not that hard.

My parents had to do this when they got back. We delivered some to them. They bought some takeaways. Done and done.

It's not that hard

What if there isn't people to bring them food. It's nice of you to do it

ordering take away doesn't sound a great idea when half the population is going to lose their jobs

Two cans of vegetables per customer was enforced last time I shopped.
I pointed out that tomatoes are actually a fruit but I was just met with a blank stare.

I tried to buy 4 cans of diced tomatoes the other day and when I asked was told I could only have 2 which I didn’t argue with - fair enough. The lovely checkout person kept the 3rd can and gave me the 4th for free. Happy days - humanity lives

What if there isn't people to bring them food. It's nice of you to do it

ordering take away doesn't sound a great idea when half the population is going to lose their jobs

1) order stuff via Coles or Woolies online, and if that's not possible do takeaways for two weeks.

2) takeaway is brilliant for the economy right now. Keeps a restaurant open, gets some coin in the pocket of the driver, and if you go local the money stays in your community

I love the mentality that someone's right to a California roll overrides the safety of the community

1) order stuff via Coles or Woolies online, and if that's not possible do takeaways for two weeks.

2) takeaway is brilliant for the economy right now. Keeps a restaurant open, gets some coin in the pocket of the driver, and if you go local the money stays in your community

I love the mentality that someone's right to a California roll overrides the safety of the community

Having elderly or sick people locked up without proper food for 14 days doesn't sound ideal or safe.

Not sure if takeaway daily is the most savvy economic advise given what the unemployment rate is going to be

I was joking about the sushi but is the state health departments really going to deliver food?

Having elderly or sick people locked up without proper food for 14 days doesn't sound ideal or safe.

Not sure if takeaway daily is the most savvy economic advise given what the unemployment rate is going to be

I was joking about the sushi but is the state health departments really going to deliver food?

Elderly and sick are getting support from DHHS in Victoria. Noone is being abandoned.

Look at how many jobs buying a six pack of snags and three spuds generates. And look at how many jobs ordering a pizza generates. If we want to minimize unemployment we need to keep supporting the service sector

There is a reason the work from home people are being asked to keep ordering a meal every second day outside the home

Thats bad news for the environment. given our power is coal based those cars will spew more emissions then their petrol counterparts for atleast the next 10 years.

Our power is getting less coal based all the time.

Look at how many jobs buying a six pack of snags and three spuds generates. And look at how many jobs ordering a pizza generates. If we want to minimize unemployment we need to keep supporting the service sector

There is a reason the work from home people are being asked to keep ordering a meal every second day outside the home

I understand that but with a million or possibly more jobs projected to be gone it might not be good idea long termfor some people.?

I understand that but with a million or possibly more jobs projected to be gone it might not be good idea long term?

this advice is literally the worst advice we can give an economy in this situation.

lets juice your numbers and say 30% unemployment becomes a thing. The rest of the economy becomes hyper reliant on the spending of the remaining 70%

if the gainfully employed stop spending, it further reduces companies turnover and profits, thus reducing their ability to employ people, and thus actually increases unemployment further.

If you are in discretionary retail, personal services, hospitality, or entertainment, you absolutely should be watching your pennies.

if you job is safe, and is not going anywhere, we need you to keep doing what you're doing now. shutting up shop is just throwing kero on the fire.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the public should not wear masks

This is such a tough one. People should absolutely wear masks - it will help stop transmition.

However it will also rob scarce resources from health workers

the public should not wear masks

Dr. Anthony Fauci said Friday that the general public should be wearing cloth masks if they cannot keep a safe distance from others.

"The better part of valor when you’re out and you can’t maintain that six-foot distance is to wear some type of facial covering. An important point to emphasize though is that should never take away the availability of the masks that are needed for the health care providers who are in real present danger. So this is an addition to the physical separation, not as a substitute for it," he

You are talking about people that have returned from travelling overseas, where they likely had takeaway daily.

And isnt that working a treat. :thumbsu:

It's working great, the recent blackouts in Victoria were due to coal power station failures. Solar on the other hand is cheap and reliable when its needed most.

Dr. Anthony Fauci said Friday that the general public should be wearing cloth masks if they cannot keep a safe distance from others.

"The better part of valor when you’re out and you can’t maintain that six-foot distance is to wear some type of facial covering. An important point to emphasize though is that should never take away the availability of the masks that are needed for the health care providers who are in real present danger. So this is an addition to the physical separation, not as a substitute for it," he
Yes it is an addition but the reason we say dont wear them is because we still dont know if cloth masks make things slightly worse or slightly better. I would be going with australian health officials over american ones given how much the american health and political system is corrupted.

New zealand has about 16 percent of the cases of australia. New zealands population is 19 percent of australias. I.e. on a per capita basis they are about the same and this is despite the fact new zealanders tend to not live as close to each other as australians.
Looking at countries in terms of per capita is pretty useless, as it hides the really important information, which is the rate of spread, eg days to double numbers infected. There’s a good explanation of that here:

“And that's because this virus, it does spread fast, but it doesn't, you know, ripple through a country's entire population in a matter of days. So the overall population of a country is not any sort of limiting factor on how fast it spreads. It will tend to spread as the people in those cities, in those areas mix at similar rates at the same rate.

Now, we could, of course, still adjust for population, and give you sort of per capita or per million people numbers of cases or deaths. What that would do is essentially just make larger countries look like their outbreaks aren't quite as bad, and smaller countries look like theirs are much worse. With this chart, we're focusing on trajectory. We're focusing on saying, where are things right now, where are they going to be in a few days, and how does this compare to other countries that you're already familiar with from following the news.”

As for the rate of spread, here are the latest numbers for NZ: they, like some states of Australia are doing fairly well.
New Zealand
TOTAL
+82*

CONFIRMED
+52*

PROBABLE
+30*

DEATHS

RECOVERED
+24*
Source: World Health Organisation, Ministry of Health
Data reflects cases as of April 3, 2020 NZDT and is updated daily.

By the way, I got this information in this article, which counters more of your misinformation that warm weather will stop the virus:

But they are not the facts. You seem to have an allergy to facts. Look at the graph snakey posted. At this stage New Zealand has tracked better than Australia and a lot better than other tourist Meccas.
That's because NZ isn't really a tourist Mecca. Not being as susceptible to pandemics is one of the few silver linings of being an international backwater, which NZ is.

Probably corrupt too but this world authority apparently considering telling everyone to Don the mask

Yes it is an addition but the reason we say dont wear them is because we still dont know if cloth masks make things slightly worse or slightly better. I would be going with australian health officials over american ones given how much the american health and political system is corrupted.

Advisers to the World Health Organisation (WHO) are considering whether to suggest new guidance for the public on wearing face masks as a way to limit the spread of coronavirus.

Key points
  • WHO advisory panel to assess whether public should wear face masks to slow coronavirus spread
  • New research suggests respiratory droplets may travel further than previously thought
  • US expected to expand face mask recommendations due to high rates of asymptomatic transmission
(Abc)

Looking at countries in terms of per capita is pretty useless, as it hides the really important information, which is the rate of spread, eg days to double numbers infected. There’s a good explanation of that here:

“And that's because this virus, it does spread fast, but it doesn't, you know, ripple through a country's entire population in a matter of days. So the overall population of a country is not any sort of limiting factor on how fast it spreads. It will tend to spread as the people in those cities, in those areas mix at similar rates at the same rate.

Now, we could, of course, still adjust for population, and give you sort of per capita or per million people numbers of cases or deaths. What that would do is essentially just make larger countries look like their outbreaks aren't quite as bad, and smaller countries look like theirs are much worse. With this chart, we're focusing on trajectory. We're focusing on saying, where are things right now, where are they going to be in a few days, and how does this compare to other countries that you're already familiar with from following the news.”

As for the rate of spread, here are the latest numbers for NZ: they, like some states of Australia are doing fairly well.
New Zealand
TOTAL
+82*

CONFIRMED
+52*

PROBABLE
+30*

DEATHS

RECOVERED
+24*
Source: World Health Organisation, Ministry of Health
Data reflects cases as of April 3, 2020 NZDT and is updated daily.

By the way, I got this information in this article, which counters more of your misinformation that warm weather will stop the virus:

Only two things matter for evaluating which country is doing better on virus spread. Your infections per capita. Your growth rate in infections.

When discussing a country of 24.6 million vs a country of under 5 million it would be completely idiotic to not use per capita basis when looking at infection Spread. New zealand could by 95 percent infected and australia only 30 percent and you would claim new zealand was doing better.

australia and new zealands infection per capita is about the same. With australia slightly higher. Although if you include the nz probable numbers you have just provided then new zelands infection per capita is higher.

new zealands infection growth rate, however, is now currently tracking way higher then australias.

i correct myself. Australia is doing better than new zealand.

i have posted no misinformation. Just a hypothesis that fits with the data remarkably well.

Probably corrupt too but this world authority apparently considering telling everyone to Don the mask

Advisers to the World Health Organisation (WHO) are considering whether to suggest new guidance for the public on wearing face masks as a way to limit the spread of coronavirus.

Key points
  • WHO advisory panel to assess whether public should wear face masks to slow coronavirus spread
  • New research suggests respiratory droplets may travel further than previously thought
  • US expected to expand face mask recommendations due to high rates of asymptomatic transmission
(Abc)
Considering. Have made no such claim yet.

Im as pro a supporter for global institutions as you can get but even I can see that the WHO has been completely corrupted by nationalistic interests. They have zero credibility. They are one of the great villians of this whole saga.

This is such a tough one. People should absolutely wear masks - it will help stop transmition.

However it will also rob scarce resources from health workers
its a tough one when considering cloth masks because we are lacking information about whether they help or make things worse.

its not tough when considering proper masks. Dont wear them unless you are on the frontline and have a high probability of coming into contact with corona patients or you have corona at the moment or you are highly vulnerable to corona (cancer patients on chemo, flu patients or the elderly).

if frontline doctors run out of masks and other protective gear then they simply quit their jobs and there are no doctors left. unfortunately this scenario now has a realistic probsbility of occuring.

dont wear proper masks. See a fit 20 year old in the street wearing one then ask them if they have a valid reason for it. We are at the stage where doctors not on the frontline should also not be wearing them even if they work in a hospital with corona patients. Thats how bad the shortage is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back