Training 2020 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Bringing guys like Gibbons and JSOS into the midfield for extended stints is a worthwhile experiment imo. They have big enough bodies and it's time to start working at creative solutions beyond Murphy and Curnow, and not automatically giving those spots to Dow and Setterfield just because we have them on the list.

This will be interesting now, as we can't keep relying on Murphy and ECurnow to occupy all the midfield time.

Our first call midfielder (and please....we know what we mean by midfielder :)) is obviously Cripps and if we are to genuinely start weening ECurnow and in particular Murphy out of there, who will be the second used, third, fourth etc.

At the end of the year there are numbers that show up who the starting mids are and for the centre square stoppages they attended.
Possible injuries aside, who will take up the bulk of these stoppages?

- Cripps is first. Obviously.
- Setterfield; I feel that our plan was to be using him a lot more, but somehow that didn't pan out early in the year.
- Walsh; Too early for him to be involved heavily? Maybe, maybe not. He's
- Gibbons; He'll be used ahead of some of the younger guys, but how much?
- Dow; On the border of getting regular games now, so hard to see it.
- Fisher; I really want to see him in there. He's not a forward.
- SPS; Still looks like a good idea to me, although the backline may be his post for some time to come.
- Stocker; Can't se it.
- Kennedy; Already listed as a forward. Midfield involvement may be passing him by
- Philp; Just can't see it for now. No.
- JSilvagni - I can see a need now and especially so if Setterfield doesn't take up the opportunity.

Still a lot to work out.

The issue is his size, combined with a lack of elite burst or kicking ability to make up for it.
Kane Lambert ... that's what we need Gibbons to be and arguably he comes with better credentials.

I thought he was exceptional last year given his introduction to the AFL system.

Kane Lambert ... that's what we need Gibbons to be and arguably he comes with better credentials.

I thought he was exceptional last year given his introduction to the AFL system.

If the obsession of Gibbons becoming a goal kicker continuous, it will kill off his career. He is a mid and unfortunately, only a pure mid.

If the obsession of Gibbons becoming a goal kicker continuous, it will kill off his career. He is a mid and unfortunately, only a pure mid.
He did alright when on the wing last year which suits him as he has a great running capacity. He isn't a burner but is fast enough and with his tank it's a spot he did well.

I agree being a small forward isn't his go but he can nip up forward now and then, play on a wing and by extension a forward flanker. There's more to him that being only a pure mid.

Last edited:
101093540_10158269312938334_8470942316905889792_o.jpg
Murph in the skins with no shorts and jersey is a pretty alpha move.

If oranges signified the 2's its interesting to see Walsh, Fisher, Gibbons, Simmo and JSOS all in orange in those photos. Perhaps they rotated colours in some of the quarters as you can clearly see a lot of the boys with 2 jumpers on.

Yes that is true.
I think from what I could see the Blues were the senior talls. So McKay, :Levi, McG, Weitering, Jones.

Gibbons looks a lot more cut and bigger, appears to have really worked on his strength. Good on him. He is an OK player and added strength could make him a good player.
It's interesting to see. Even though he's in his mid 20s he really hasn't had the ability to bulk up like this. He's had to think about his work and job before and balance footy training and being physically able to be a tradey. Now he can focus fully on having his body right for AFL, i'm curious to see how he's changed physically effects his on field play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That short video on the club website, right at the end there is a shot of Levi and behind him is what appears to be my ginger man Finbar, so, looking at that, and the fact he was near Levi who played forward I am pretty certain the player I saw, who had a fair bit of it down back, was in fact my ginger boy Finbar. I am glad I got to the bottom of that !

That short video on the club website, right at the end there is a shot of Levi and behind him is what appears to be my ginger man Finbar, so, looking at that, and the fact he was near Levi who played forward I am pretty certain the player I saw, who had a fair bit of it down back, was in fact my ginger boy Finbar. I am glad I got to the bottom of that !

That was Finbar, alright. Cottrell also plays back.
Unfortunately if he's already playing back suggests that we may have parked away the idea of him becoming a forward and also a step closer to being out the door.

That was Finbar, alright. Cottrell also plays back.
Unfortunately if he's already playing back suggests that we may have parked away the idea of him becoming a forward and also a step closer to being out the door.

That's always possible.

Personally I am always a bit concerned when the club recruit those 'mid size' talls, albeit he had growth in him so to speak. I didn't like the selection when it happened.

But in saying that and remembering my view was short lived and hindered greatly, I did see him find a fair bit of it yesterday so who knows maybe he will find a home down back. L.Jones has thrived there after making the switch late in his career and Finbar is a young player in comparison.

And maybe the plan was always to try him at both ends, I mean he is young.

I wouldn't start predicting the end of such a young kid so soon. Despite the fact I wasn't a fan of his recruitment.

Heck even the little fella Polson has shown some alright signs of late. So let's get behind the players everyone !

Sorry one other thing I neglected to mention, I did notice the team make some very quick transition from defence. There were times when they would intercept mark down back and the handball was off literally within a split second and then they were off and running. While this was tantamount to dancing with one's sister as Denis would say, irrespective it was a treat to see and hopefully the team progress with regards to ball movement. I think we all concur after years of defence ruling the roost the game now seems to be all about quick transition.

That's always possible.

Personally I am always a bit concerned when the club recruit those 'mid size' talls, albeit he had growth in him so to speak. I didn't like the selection when it happened.

But in saying that and remembering my view was short lived and hindered greatly, I did see him find a fair bit of it yesterday so who knows maybe he will find a home down back. L.Jones has thrived there after making the switch late in his career and Finbar is a young player in comparison.

And maybe the plan was always to try him at both ends, I mean he is young.

I wouldn't start predicting the end of such a young kid so soon. Despite the fact I wasn't a fan of his recruitment.

Heck even the little fella Polson has shown some alright signs of late. So let's get behind the players everyone !

Not against any player unless they're against the club or don't play in the spirit of the whole

In the meantime though, we are going to be losing plenty this year and unless things have changed dramatically, you'd think that O'Dwyers name may be near the top of the table. He simply doesn't impose himself in any meaningful way upon my observation.
Even this past pre-season, Philips just seemed to have more tricks and knew how to find the goals. He's a more natural forward and if only one could stay i know who I'd have. It's not personal.

His weapon is being very well-rounded IMO. I get what you're saying but I just have a feeling he could easily jump into gathering 25-30 touches a game and being a creative force in lots of scoring chains.

Gibbo = Kane Lambert mk II?

Mid-HFF getting ~20 touches and half a goal a game?

Gibbo = Kane Lambert mk II?

Mid-HFF getting ~20 touches and half a goal a game?
There's absolutely no reason why not.

Different types of players but if someone like Carrazzo can carve out such a good serviceable AFL career then surely Gibbons can? Has the same drive and desire which is a huge and often underestimated part of the battle imo.

Sorry one other thing I neglected to mention, I did notice the team make some very quick transition from defence. There were times when they would intercept mark down back and the handball was off literally within a split second and then they were off and running. While this was tantamount to dancing with one's sister as Denis would say, irrespective it was a treat to see and hopefully the team progress with regards to ball movement. I think we all concur after years of defence ruling the roost the game now seems to be all about quick transition.

The issue with this will be 'if' or 'when' we turn it over. Must have defensive structures in place to protect the ball coming back in twice as fast. The " game plan is the best example of what I'm talking about, all out attack with no defensive structure once in execution. Hopefully we are smarter and better equipped because it will be exciting to see our forwards on the end of some of these runs...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back