Training 2020 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

We barely had open training pre covid, so doubt there will be open training in the near future.

Actually we did, as every training session was opened if one simply cared to walk in.

There was no need to hide in the grassy knoll, or peep through fences. :)

Great, I just can't wait until Saturday to see Crippa again.
No one goes near Crippa without tempearture tests, complete closure of all orifices and a soap and wash down. Nice weather for it.

Bad shoulders and a fractured jaw going head to head with the most physically gifted mid in the competition.

It's not his game anymore and he's more valuable not doing it, he's better off receiving that going in and under.

Murphy still being underrated by our own supporters i see.

He's a gun midfielder linking up from half back to half forward with gut run and hits the scoreboard.

If the guy wasn't drafted to the worst team of the century, and made captain when it's not really his go, his career would be viewed so differently and could have been a genuine superstar...probably would have if drafted at #2 to Collingwood to be honest.

Did you say fractured jaw?

Tell Simmo that, I think he missed the memo..

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
It's funny, Murph has copped more than his share of hits over the journey yet it's the Simpson's and Kreuzer's that are lauded for their courage etc despite copping a fraction of the attention.

It's funny, Murph has copped more than his share of hits over the journey yet it's the Simpson's and Kreuzer's that are lauded for their courage etc despite copping a fraction of the attention.
So true and i love the fact that he wants to be the next Shane Crawford.

It is good to hear his body is well and hopes to play a few more years, that could potentially (hopefully) coincide with the team playing far better.

Simpson gets crunched every week or 2, while Murphy has taken a few big hits he hasn't had anywhere near the consistency of contact that Simpson has. As for Kruezer, I don't think I've ever heard him lauded for his courage on field?

The other thing is Simpson is a skinny old man and still sits in the hole in front of charging key forwards consistently, whereas Murphy has been phased out of the high collision areas as he's gotten older.

Murphy isn't as soft as people have said he is over the career and has put his head over the hard ball when he's needed to, but he's not at Simpsons level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Simpson gets crunched every week or 2, while Murphy has taken a few big hits he hasn't had anywhere near the consistency of contact that Simpson has. As for Kruezer, I don't think I've ever heard him lauded for his courage on field?

The other thing is Simpson is a skinny old man and still sits in the hole in front of charging key forwards consistently, whereas Murphy has been phased out of the high collision areas as he's gotten older.

Murphy isn't as soft as people have said he is over the career and has put his head over the hard ball when he's needed to, but he's not at Simpsons level.
I respect your views but IMO there's a slight difference.
Simpson admirably jumps into the fray against bigger bodies but he's worn one massive hit from someone targeting him (Wellingham), Murphy however has been copping this treatment from the opposition since his first year - which is not to say that Simmo isn't courageous, he simply hasn't had a target on his back in the manner that Murph has over his career.
Effectively, you're less likely to be scared of someone gunning for you - if no one is actually gunning for you.
I've always been curious, would Murph be considered differently if he made his career as a classy wingman/hbf rather than as our no.2 ball winner?

Ultimately, there are always going to be tougher or softer players, all sides have them - the better list managers & coaches are those that are able to make any perceived weaknesses less impactful.

Simpson takes maybe 2 hits a game, at least in open play. When you're in and around the stoppage, you cop a lot more. These days most stoppage midfielders have 5-10cms and 8-15 kgs on Murph. Even when he built himself up, he would have been short about 10 kgs.

That people still can't recognise how much he wins what is - at least on paper - a losing battle, is beyond me.

Simpson takes maybe 2 hits a game, at least in open play. When you're in and around the stoppage, you cop a lot more. These days most stoppage midfielders have 5-10cms and 8-15 kgs on Murph. Even when he built himself up, he would have been short about 10 kgs.

That people still can't recognise how much he wins what is - at least on paper - a losing battle, is beyond me.

Very well put forward Jimmae.

In my case at least I've seen things I didn't like about Murphy in recent years and may have been clouded in seeing the bigger picture.
The term 'hot potato' comes to mind quite often when viewing Murphy, but even that's OK, if the pros far outweigh the cons.

He's not captain any more and that's a good thing for him and the club as a whole, but maybe we shouldn't put the brakes on his career just yet.
I'd like for him not to be on the list next year, not for any other reason, than for that many have passed him by. This may not be the case though.

Probably becaus they still attack every contest like it's their last, unlike Murphy. He has become purely an outside player.

We must set the bar high, when it's your turn to go, you got to go. We can't have the next wave coming through thinking that continually pulling out of contests is acceptable.

Probably becaus they still attack every contest like it's their last, unlike Murphy. He has become purely an outside player.

We must set the bar high, when it's your turn to go, you got to go. We can't have the next wave coming through thinking that continually pulling out of contests is acceptable.

more garbage

Please show me examples of this...my perception is Murphy goes when it's his turn...he's just not particularly great at the in & under stuff given his size disadvantage but it's not due to lack of trying.

You think he 'continually' pulls out of contests...that's just not true.

Can we cease the comparisons on Murphy and Simpson and who has taken the more hits etc? Seriously that is incredibly juvenile. Both have been excellent players for our Football Club. The reality is neither player is what you would call a big player, and they have had to play to their strengths over their career. It is a brutal sport and they have both done very well to play a lot of gates at a high standard for the club. Let's hope they can both continue to stay injury free and play good footy and you never know with a bit of luck they might play more finals in a year or two.

Can we cease the comparisons on Murphy and Simpson and who has taken the more hits etc? Seriously that is incredibly juvenile. Both have been excellent players for our Football Club. The reality is neither player is what you would call a big player, and they have had to play to their strengths over their career. It is a brutal sport and they have both done very well to play a lot of gates at a high standard for the club. Let's hope they can both continue to stay injury free and play good footy and you never know with a bit of luck they might play more finals in a year or two.
👏

Remove this Banner Ad

Back