Training 2020 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably becaus they still attack every contest like it's their last, unlike Murphy. He has become purely an outside player.

We must set the bar high, when it's your turn to go, you got to go. We can't have the next wave coming through thinking that continually pulling out of contests is acceptable.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
As I said in my previous post, there are players across all sides that aren't exactly fearless.
Josh Kelly, Bont, Pendlebury & Isaac Smith are all examples of players that aren't exactly in the Voss/Hodge/Selwood category of bravery, yet each has achieved a significant amount of success in spite of the perceived weakness to their game, why? Their clubs don't rely on them to win the contests as consistently as we do with Murph.
It is in light of this that I believe your frustrations are misdirected, I'm more critical of our list management/player development that sees Murph in his age 33 season as our number 2 or 3 stoppage midfielder, a role that was never playing to his strengths even prior to injury.

Can we cease the comparisons on Murphy and Simpson and who has taken the more hits etc? Seriously that is incredibly juvenile. Both have been excellent players for our Football Club. The reality is neither player is what you would call a big player, and they have had to play to their strengths over their career. It is a brutal sport and they have both done very well to play a lot of gates at a high standard for the club. Let's hope they can both continue to stay injury free and play good footy and you never know with a bit of luck they might play more finals in a year or two.
It's hardly juvenile to compare the actions of two players who have been heart and soul players for our footy club.
The point was that amongst sections of our support base the two have almost polar opposite reputations despite having similarly admirable careers.

It's hardly juvenile to compare the actions of two players who have been heart and soul players for our footy club.
The point was that amongst sections of our support base the two have almost polar opposite reputations despite having similarly admirable careers.
It was about why Simpson is viewed as courageous and why Murphy is viewed as soft by some.

I think the argument seems to be Murphy must take lots of hits you don't see when playing on ball and Simpsons are more noticeable, but both should be considered about equals in terms of courage.

I don't believe that, but that's my understanding of the debate.

It was about why Simpson is viewed as courageous and why Murphy is viewed as soft by some.

I think the argument seems to be Murphy must take lots of hits you don't see when playing on ball and Simpsons are more noticeable, but both should be considered about equals in terms of courage.

Yes that is correct.

It is incredibly juvenile to talk about any player who has played that many games and to look to compare how many hits or how courageous they are.

Yes that is correct.

It is incredibly juvenile to talk about any player who has played that many games and to look to compare how many hits or how courageous they are.

I'm in two minds.

I don't like fans taking pot shots from the cheap seats. It's all too easy to be a judgemental keyboard warrior.

But at the same time, fans are also allowed to voice opinions on players' weaknesses, areas of improvement and make constructive comparisons between players.

I'm not usually one to sit on fences, but I genuinely see both sides of this debate...

Yes that is correct.

It was me that introduced Simpson to the discussion, I noted that Simpson is lauded for his courage but given the absolute pounding he has taken while wearing our colours, Murph deserves a similar level of respect.
There is literally nothing juvenile about that.

I'm in two minds.

I don't like fans taking pot shots from the cheap seats. It's all too easy to be a judgemental keyboard warrior.

But at the same time, fans are also allowed to voice opinions on players' weaknesses, areas of improvement and make constructive comparisons between players.

I'm not usually one to sit on fences, but I genuinely see both sides of this debate...
That's just it, it takes all types both on field and on Bigfooty. :thumbsu:

Very well put forward Jimmae.

In my case at least I've seen things I didn't like about Murphy in recent years and may have been clouded in seeing the bigger picture.
The term 'hot potato' comes to mind quite often when viewing Murphy, but even that's OK, if the pros far outweigh the cons.

He's not captain any more and that's a good thing for him and the club as a whole, but maybe we shouldn't put the brakes on his career just yet.
I'd like for him not to be on the list next year, not for any other reason, than for that many have passed him by. This may not be the case though.
I put that down to the state of his shoulders, ankles and fingers at this point in his career given the injuries he's had previously. Just glad that we have professional fitness staff who can get him on top of his issues.

Keen to see whether young Fisher passes his test. I have him clear in our 22 but hearing Russell last week, we may go conservative on him.
As predicted, and almost certainly the correct call.

Keen to see whether young Fisher passes his test. I have him clear in our 22 but hearing Russell last week, we may go conservative on him.
Is it a fitness test or is he way off. I haven’t heard a thing about training from the club and who is in full match practise at the moment.

I would like to see Fisher study Braddles to be that receiver link player that hit our forwards on the chest with bullet passes rather than a in the guts midfielder playing outside his weight division.

I would like to see Fisher study Braddles to be that receiver link player that hit our forwards on the chest with bullet passes rather than a in the guts midfielder playing outside his weight division.
I think he's very good in the guts, though. It doesn't fit his body type I agree but he's so slippery he rarely ever took significant hits. He's so twitchy he's getting rid of the ball quickly or darting around that he's not an easy target

Iirc Bolton was asked about moving him to the outside and he said as much as he'd like to put him outside he's very good inside so it's taking away a good part of his game to do that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Today's training gallery from the Club's Facebook page ...

103349341_10158292458918334_8280717626040324685_o.jpg

103801087_10158292458633334_3903726983662236599_o.jpg

103484744_10158292458868334_6470836850103384054_o.jpg

103331261_10158292459133334_4303832843708553164_o.jpg

101869113_10158292458698334_1494537776653262188_o.jpg

I think he's very good in the guts, though. It doesn't fit his body type I agree but he's so slippery he rarely ever took significant hits. He's so twitchy he's getting rid of the ball quickly or darting around that he's not an easy target

Iirc Bolton was asked about moving him to the outside and he said as much as he'd like to put him outside he's very good inside so it's taking away a good part of his game to do that
while i do not disagree, i just think that we are expecting too much of our mids to be break away types.
how about some with great vision and quick hands to put the ball out to players in space with time to deliver the ball into the forwards with precision rather than hail mary's.
Too many times in the last couple of seasons we have 3 to 4 mids all going for the same ball and the opposition just getting it out to their players left loose who then romp it into their forwards.

while i do not disagree, i just think that we are expecting too much of our mids to be break away types.
how about some with great vision and quick hands to put the ball out to players in space with time to deliver the ball into the forwards with precision rather than hail mary's.
Too many times in the last couple of seasons we have 3 to 4 mids all going for the same ball and the opposition just getting it out to their players left loose who then romp it into their forwards.
The problem (it's a good problem) is Fisher is both those things. He has great vision, his pick up and handball can be lightning quick (there was even an article last year comparing him to Sam Mitchell). He can also receive, run and kick. I don't think his kick is elite but it's very good and one of our better ones.

There's no reason he can't do both. It's not like every time there's congestion he has to dive on inside or stay outside every time.

Fwiw I've never expressed that Fisher needs to be a breakaway type and I've never though of him as that sort of player. In fact the only guy I think should be is Dow - and he should be that guy, it was highlighted as his biggest asset when drafted.

Coops93 sry did not mean to suggest you did. I was more addressing a common theme in the comments when talking about our mids that we do have.
Like Kennedy is not fast enough or JSOS is not fast enough etc. Cripps takes on too many too often and needs to delegate to the others.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back