Review Positives and Negatives vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

You realise they actually had about 1000 or so Brisbane supporters at the game? lol
The booing was not 2000 people. If it was they found a way to magnify it.

Agree, I know he is slow, but I wouldn't mind bringing in Brayshaw for that inside role, and bring in JJ to add to the outside mix.

I keep wanting to see Brayshaw come in at some point but from what we've seen he seems slow but can get the ball.

Then again in these fumblely conditions bigger guys play well if they use their size.

Think injuries would be needed for Bayshaw to get a look in.

Now you're being silly.

49 goals last year isn't disgraceful by any means.
I didn't say it was, but that was last season, and the amount of goals he kicked last season has little relevance to how he's playing this year.
You could however clearly see that he was slowing down last year and that's only gotten worse in 2020. At some point he's going to have to go.

Not enough discussion around this issue - our ball movement sucks. By the time we have done our dinky kicks across field opposition have filled gaps and then we kick long to contest.

They spoil and it’s back in our D50 - defenders under pressure AGAIN.

Midfield and their coach need kick.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

All assistant coaches only implement what the senior coach wants, I still can’t believe people think the assistants a tuallychoose what they want to do.

If you are referring, in part, to him being run down from behind, two things stood out to me in that play -
1) the WCE player to his immediate left (Redden?) did not warn him of the impending tackle and call for a handball....easy to be heard out there, and
2) more importantly, did not make an effort to shepherd the Bris player out of the contest. He basically stood there flatfooted.

Our players are not willing to get in and protect the player trying to take on the game. And on that matter, only Nic and a battered Shuey are willing to try to take on the game. Unfortunately, the latter is slowing down and gets caught 50% of the times he attempts it but, once again, he is offered little protection from his team mates when he does try.

I actually wasnt. And that tackke slipped down to his ankles and should have been a trip btw.

No just noticing him look out of position a fair bit and not making it to as many contests as he usually does. When he jogs it looks like its a bit of a struggle.

I didn't say it was, but that was last season, and the amount of goals he kicked last season has little relevance to how he's playing this year.
You could however clearly see that he was slowing down last year and that's only gotten worse in 2020. At some point he's going to have to go.
I know he's got to go eventually.
But I think the match committee are going to back him in for at least another 3 or 4 games.

I'm backing upon in.

Let's agree to disagree on this one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know he's got to go eventually.
But I think the match committee are going to back him in for at least another 3 or 4 games.

I'm backing upon in.

Let's agree to disagree on this one.
I think you're right, he's not going to be dropped for a few more weeks and to be fair he's probably earned that.
But I think he's reached the point where he's more of a liability than a positive to the side.

Monocle what are your thoughts on how we are setting up midfield wise in theae conditions?

We have our best and more skillful mids playing inside and our next level of mids being inside mids pushed out the flanks.

The slippery conditions means a hard slog in close and the ball pops out less often and not as clean. How about we pull Kelly and Shuey more to the outside and let Redden and Sheed do what they do best on the inside? :whitecheck:

Shuey wont last 17 games the amount of bashing and crashing he's doing. Lets get Shuey and Kelly in more space and kicking some goals. :whitecheck:

Obeanie1 you have pretty much summed up my thoughts.

Redden is in putrid form at the moment as he was before Priddis departed when he was being played out of position, he plays his best football in close as the centre man, then after the clearances he is a good link up player.
In the premiership year he also sneaked forward to kick a goal or two.
Sheed's decision making is suspect so just give he a simple brief...... get the ball moving forward as quickly as possible go the first option... when Dom try's to think his way through traffic he invariably comes unstuck. First option and no U turns for Dom.

We are being exposed for a lack of run and carry that opens up the game, so the Shuey and Kelly outside to work the space is something that I am wanting us to do. Kelly was able to exploit this role at Geelong because he had the likes of Dangerego and Selwood doing the grunt work.

Petro just doesn't work hard enough at this stage of his career and he ball watches far to often.
Waterman would be a much better option just tell him to not fly in the leading lanes that JD and JK need, Snake is a hard runner and thats a big plus.

Open up the game and you make it so much easier for JD and JK to do their stuff.

I am not an Ah Chee fan but, if we are going to play him, I would also like to see him doing some inside grunt work .... would certainly be more useful than trying to take mark of the year each week and clogging up air space for our key forwards.

Also we are exposed when Oscar goes into the ruck, so don't play him there.
That said NN's pathetic minutes on ground compound this problem.

Really would like to see a way that Bailey Williams plays as the second ruckman.... if that means he plays FF and JK missed out on a spot then so be it.

This season is going to be a s**t storm anyway so lets see what our new players / our fringe players are capable of, so I have read the Brayshaw into the mix comments and at some stage I am happy to see this being done.

If in four weeks time we still suck then play the kids and work out who we keep on the list and who we part ways with.
If Ainsworth is to stay on our list then we need to expose him again to footy at the next level to see if he is a keeper or a bust... I think we know the answer to that but he may surprise.... or may not.;)

So the jist of your suggestions are the way I would like to see us going.

Last edited:
JK out Williams in
Petro out Waterman in
Redden out anyone in

Shake it up abit, give JK a breather and a kid a chance. Although it wont happen.

Had a good look at Brander again, and the more I see of him, the more it looks to me like he just isn't a winger, despite how badly the club wants him to be

For me, i think he would be best suited to being the third tall defender, with Gov and Barrass taking the big key forwards

And before someone interjects, I am well aware we have a surplus of mobile half-backs

It just looks like that's where he would be best suited

As coach Adam Simpson said post-game, the team just hasn’t adapted quickly enough to the environment.

The Eagles have never been renowned for their contested ball ability under Simpson, but even the coach acknowledged post-game that it was getting out of hand. They lost the contested possession count by 15 to Brisbane. Simpson said post-game: “We have to get our hands dirty with contested possessions and they don’t always paint an exact picture, but it’s clear at the moment that they are.”

Simo, its becoming obvious that you need to learn to adapt to the environment and playing conditions as well as the team.

Get our bigger inside mids playing where they play best, on the inside.

Petro needs to go and be replaced by someone who can work harder for longer. Shuey looks cooked already after two bash and crash games against bigger opponents.

Bring in an Ainsworth or a Brayshaw and get Redden and Sheed on the ball. Especially against Port.

Play Kelly off the wing or the high half forward to get some class clearances along with Shuey. Shuey may not even get up for this game from the look of him.

He still kicked 49 goals for the year.
Not too shabby.
In 2019 JK only had 3 games of 4+ goals in 22 games, but 8 games with 1 goal or less.

He'll flat track a couple teams and coupled with Simpsons unwillingness to drop senior players, will finish the season with a few goals to his name. Though I'd be surprised if he cracks 30 goals.
But I would bet if you replaced JK with Allen or Waterman (and gave them same minutes/role), they'd have a better return for the year. And certainly contribute more to the team than just goals.

JK's 2020 stats:

1592787087213.png

Love JK, but he needs to step aside. Nothing wrong with admitting your body is no longer up to it, we all get old. He's had a wonderful career with many accolades, stepping aside would only add to the admiration a lot of us have for him and what he's done for the Eagles.

In 2019 JK only had 3 games of 4+ goals in 22 games, but 8 games with 1 goal or less.

He'll flat track a couple teams and coupled with Simpsons unwillingness to drop senior players, will finish the season with a few goals to his name. Though I'd be surprised if he cracks 30 goals.
But I would bet if you replaced JK with Allen or Waterman (and gave them same minutes/role), they'd have a better return for the year. And certainly contribute more to the team than just goals.

JK's 2020 stats:

View attachment 897225

Love JK, but he needs to step aside. Nothing wrong with admitting your body is no longer up to it, we all get old. He's had a wonderful career with many accolades, stepping aside would only add to the admiration a lot of us have for him and what he's done for the Eagles.

You could put Tony Locket to FF at the minute but it would not change anything, we move the ball to slow and our game plan gives our forwards pretty much no chance.
Game plan and midfield are the issues in our team, throw on top of that player attitude to being away and you get what we are seeing. A lacklustre, disinterested group of players and a poor performing team.

This season is going to be a sh*t storm anyway so lets see what our new players / our fringe players are capable of, so I have read the Brayshaw into the mix comments and at some stage I am happy to see this being done.

I couldn't agree more. Might as well make use of a sheet season and get as many hours into our rookies as we can. Seniors aren't pulling their weight anyhow, what could possibly go wrong worse than it has already?

We just can.not.play in dewy or wet weather footy which is beyond frustrating. It was interesting to watch Freo play our game style and break right down once it rained.

I mean the only positive is that when we get back to Perth + the fact it will be dryer weather as it footy will played till late October.

IF we want to be a chance we need to pull our finger out and beat Port + Tigers and get back to Perth and get ready for a good crack.

We have a good balance of mids in Yeo, Shuey, Kelly and Gaff but we are playing all out of position and it really hurts.

Brander: Looks he played ok and i feel sorry he is playing out of position but for the mean time i think he either needs to have crack down back in place of a tall or forward. Next year i think he will be given a better crack at it with some looming players hanging the boots up.

JK: My fav player in recent times. He may have come back slimmer but like all our senior players that play at his age he has seriously lost a yard of pace. We can blame the conditions but JK of old was pretty good in the wet back in the day.

Ruck situation: Oscar is a good forward but a below average pinch hitter and we are wasting his talent there. We need to bring in Williams , he is in great nick and did not look out of place in the pre-season. We might end up tall BUT he is quite mobile and would bring some youth and excitement to the team.

Ah Chee & Petch: Both are not AFL standard atm. Petch has a ways to go to develop as proper HFF and at the moment shouldnt be getting games.

You could put Tony Locket to FF at the minute but it would not change anything, we move the ball to slow and our game plan gives our forwards pretty much no chance.
Game plan and midfield are the issues in our team, throw on top of that player attitude to being away and you get what we are seeing. A lacklustre, disinterested group of players and a poor performing team.

Yeah agree. But I deliberately posted the other stats which show JK hasn't been contributing in any other manner.

Re game plan, it's becoming a pattern with Simpson.
2015 comes up with"the web" game plan. Gets us to a grand final but ultimately costs us any chance of a flag because of his blind faith in it. Rioli literally used our game plan to beat us.
2018 comes up with possession footy game plan when everyone was falling in line with the Richmond/Bulldogs "scramble ball forward at all costs" game plan. Nets us a flag.
2019+ game plan didn't evolve, in fact became so entrenched we became predictable. Despite having a better team on paper (2018 squad + NN, Gaf, Shep), got nowhere near the flag.

2020 being a flop will hopefully again be the catalyst for change.

Geez where do you start?
- The first things i noticed were; Yo was VERY soft at the contest [ bad back? ] and Kelly was...ER ... was he?? and Darling for the trifecta.
- Oscar Allen Is really committed to the contest and his follow up work was good..but... hes not strong enough to ruck. Either Vardy in to give us some physicality or Gov to ruck, Brander back and Allen forward.
- We hack the ball forward.So many players broke away and [NN] didnt take half a look.
- With Andrews so dominant why oh why did we persist in kicking long and high.Look at the teams winning now.They break forward THEN LOOK infield.Hold the ball,look short,possession,possession possession.If theres nothing then kick a caos ball into space.We still have Petrol,Cripps and Ryan for smalls and JK seems to operate better down low than in the air these days.
- I think this year is one for young teams not older guys with families.
- Simmo needs to have a 2020 rethink.Try things,What have we got to lose?I often as an example call for Gov to ruck.I like the best players to be around the ball.To those who say hes too important to our structure i say your just losing in a structured way.
- Hurn; All you had to do was take 3-4 fast steps and that lazy little s**t Raynor wouldnt have made the effort.But you dithered so much he had no choice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back