Review Negatives against Port (Maybe positives too)

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly.

Positives: Jones. Shown more than Petch (apart from one super cold and wet Good Friday) and Ah Chee have in their entire careers. Looking forward to watching you grow mate. Massive heart for a first game for the club. Gaff, NN, Sheppard, unsurprisingly the three blokes who missed 2018, played well.

Negatives: We still have two weeks in the hub. Tigers next. They will be hurting. If we're to be flag contenders we need to win next week. And even the Adelaide game could be a loss. Come on guys. If we leave for Perth 3-3 the season is on.

What compounds my disappointment in this season, is I have no interest in any games not involving the eagles, I have been put off by boring game play, and garbage commentary. So I only tune in to see our boys play.....and ugh.

When we play bad, we all look bad.....well except Shep....how f'in great is Shep?

So much this for me, not with standing our crap play, all of the games are boring low scoring crap fests lacking atmosphere. So much so i had planned to catch up with a mate i hadn't seen for a while due to restrictions on Saturday for a game of golf with out realising we were playing at the same time, usually i would cancel, but i don't have any interest in this season so i didn't, sounds like it was a correct decision. Other than our games excepting Saturday i have not watched a full game, even found myself switching channels Friday night to watch re runs of Modern family, would much rather watch Sofia Vegara on the screen than an ordinary football game.

This really frustrates me. Why do we seem incapable of doing the same for our forwards? It is rampant in the midfield too. No one does the unglamorous grunt work that let's the stars shine and so everything we do is rushed, under pressure and laborious.

I saw one example. Think it was Butters and SPP. Had their back to the play and were basically trying to hip and shoulder Barrass as he attempted to reach the contest with Dixon.

Two players with no intent to go for the ball but illegally block. You block a forward doing that it's a free.

Last edited:
I saw one example. Think it was Butters and SPP. Had their back to the play and were basically trying to hip and shoulder Barrass as he attempted to reach the contest with Dixon.

Two players with not intent to go for the ball but illegally block. You block a forward doing that it's a free.
The umpiring is trash on may fronts but we also have no desperation - a desperate attempt to get to the contest highlights the block. Insipit capitualtuion sends a message that two playes are standing together , neither wants to get to the contest so is it blocking or not? - the seeds of doubt are sown in the umps mind so it is play on.

The umpiring is trash on may fronts but we also have no desperation - a desperate attempt to get to the contest highlights the block. Insipit capitualtuion sends a message that two playes are standing together , neither wants to get to the contest so is it blocking or not? - the seeds of doubt are sown in the umps mind so it is play on.

It's not costing us games, but the umpiring for the last 2 weeks has certainly changed the momentum in both games.

Brisbane got some really soft forward frees - and we were denied some against port (both forward - i.e. Darling being defended 20m out by a player holding him with his back to the ball, then also Barrass being dragged down in a marking contest - port kick a goal immediately at the spill to halt our momentum).

It's a massive cop-out, and not the reason we are losing (umpiring is luck, and you make your own luck with intent) - but I'd say that the powers-that-be at the club should at least reach out to the AFL regarding the treatment of our key forwards. Sure, we can't expect lots of marks if we continue to bomb it it - but at least we can expect that Darling and Kennedy are allowed to compete for marks unimpeded (no holding or arms over shoulders stopping jumping at the ball).

We probably don't know how to handle it (as fans, and as a club) as being honest we have had the rub of the green with umpires for a long time (again, you make your own luck with intent) - but I think we need to try anything we can to arrest our form issues (provided queries like this are behind closed doors).

I was getting tattood while I watched the game on the AFL app. I don't know which was more painful to sit through.

Positive was NN continues to dominate, Kennedy looked good.

Need more goals from our midfielders, and darling/cripps are going through a slump.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

-POSITIVES-A few triers here and there.Ryan should take Darling,Cripps and most of the team aside and explain to them how to use your body in a marking contest.
-NEGATIVES- WCE as a club appear to have gone down the "lets try not to lose " pathway instead of the "lets try to win" pathway.
-Simmo;as above
- As i said to mates watching the game; "it would be nice to have a screen shot with Kelly,Shuey and Yo in the same area"
-Schoey? Why let a little ferret grab you and shake you up? Grab him back and shake him up!!
-Cripps; Worst decision maker in the team.For goodness sake be a bit more aware of play around you when you have ball in hand.
-JD; You need to change your modus operandi.You and JK are continuously in the same area.That worked when we had our mosquito fleet all available.Maybe time for a rest and run OAllen at CHF.
- Cole;Im surprised at your limp attack on the contest at times.The media made a big thing of how clever Port were in blocking Barass from marking contests.Criminal i thought.Port were running in with hip and shoulder behind the play.Ridiculous.
- Dom Sheed;Could you get any slower.
-How to stop NN? Ahh dont worry about rucking just grab hold of him and hang on.
- Watching all the teams running around now its interesting to see how sides streaming forward look infield for a short pass.We just bomb the ball.LOWER THE EYES!!!.Who is our forwards coach?He needs to be benched.
- Whens Cameron coming back? We need his aggression.
Bah Humbug!!

Two players with not intent to go for the ball but illegally block. You block a forward doing that it's a free.

So this. They were being blocked before they got a chance.

Positive: Scotty Lycett will likely join the 'win a flag at two different clubs' club. Love you mate! 😍

There is NOTHING positive about Port Power winning a flag. They are a stain on this competition and should be removed, alongside Fremantle and a couple of others 🤣

There is NOTHING positive about Port Power winning a flag. They are a stain on this competition and should be removed, alongside Fremantle and a couple of others 🤣
The AFL stretched their supply lines now its in a financial ditch trying survive. Gold Coast, GWS were there latest incantations that should not have been. Some Melb clubs need to wake up and either merge or relegate themselves or it wont last long.

As pointed out, not costing us the games but the Umpiring has been close to disgusting.
Just look at opening bounce, everyone was WTF. Then NN went throughout the game constantly held with an arm over his shoulder for nothing.
Then there were the center bounces that nearly left the circle with the only one recalled the one that favoured us.
Kennedy being constantly held, again, with one very obvious one on the wing that was play on, goes down to Dixon who get's a mild tap on the arm, Free, Goal.

What is with Kelly always trying an inside out, side of the boot checkside kick? Is he not capable of a straight forward drop punt pass?
Yeo!!! whats up. Pull your finger out.
Cripps, any chance of having a dip, shown up by a young fella playing his first game for us.
Darling WTF, everyone calling for JK to be dropped suddenly have a new target. Is there anything wrong with Waterman?? Will prob give us more.
Schoey, nice way to go out, fool.
Barrass, one minute looks to shirk a contest then next minute takes a gutsy mark. I think he misses Gov.

JK still knows how to kick them. More effective inside 50's will help even more.
Sheppard the typical shining light in defence.
Nice debut by Jones and do like Ah Chee, he is far from our worst.
Hickey competes and actually did a few good things but I feel NN can and should stay out there longer so prob don't need the extra Ruck.

so much more can be said but just like watching the games of late, I'm over it.

Artificially anchoring teams to a foreign base for an extended period is the antithesis of a fair comp.
I didn't say it was fair.
Will be different for sure, but still will be hard to win it.

I'm sure if WC was on top of the ladder, a lot of people on here would
have a different viewpoint.

I didn't say it was fair.
Will be different for sure, but still will be hard to win it.

I'm sure if WC was on top of the ladder, a lot of people on here would
have a different viewpoint.
TBH I'm extremely glad WC are out of form now, as apposed to any season with merit. I'd be frustrated if WC were on top because I know this year's premiership would be so heavily irrelevant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back