Game Day Round 5, 2020: Carlton v St.Kilda *BUTLER & HOWARD 50TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope he gets picked up as a DFA.. horrid injury last year and deserves another shot
No value when we recruiting him, even less now.
Was possibly our worst recruit of the last 5 years.
Useless

I feel for Logan. When we picked him up Roberton was unlikely to play again, Snake was going through the motions with injury, Battle had barely played a game and was considered a forward. Wilkie was an accountant playing WAFL and Howard was part of the reason he asked for a trade in the first place at Port.

Now they're all ahead of him! Rough.

Cheers guys. So Carlisle and Austin to be chopped you reckon?

To be fair you guys have some gun Key talls down back. Drafted/traded well. Good luck tonight will be watching.

Carlisle not getting chopped if I have any say in it ... which quite obviously I don’t.
Not sure where this idea has come from that Carlisle will not be at our club next year just because he’s out of contract right now, he’s one of our best defenders now that his body is right.

Carlisle not getting chopped if I have any say in it ... which quite obviously I don’t.
Not sure where this idea has come from that Carlisle will not be at our club next year just because he’s out of contract right now, he’s one of our best defenders now that his body is right.

When he wasn't named Round 1 I was pretty surprised. He's had that many injuries and off field issues that the worry is there. He's gonna be pushing hard this year knowing it's probably his last chance at a good contract.

Don't get me wrong Snake's probably my favourite player in full flight but it's a hell of a rollercoaster.

When he wasn't named Round 1 I was pretty surprised. He's had that many injuries and off field issues that the worry is there. He's gonna be pushing hard this year knowing it's probably his last chance at a good contract.

Don't get me wrong Snake's probably my favourite player in full flight but it's a hell of a rollercoaster.
He wasn't named round one because he was away from the club for a period of time and needed to get his fitness up.

There were rumours on here he wasn't seen as best 22, but the club even said in a statement that they were being cautious with his fitness. One of the first picked every week I would think.

I feel for Logan. When we picked him up Roberton was unlikely to play again, Snake was going through the motions with injury, Battle had barely played a game and was considered a forward. Wilkie was an accountant playing WAFL and Howard was part of the reason he asked for a trade in the first place at Port.

Now they're all ahead of him! Rough.
Maybe, but has been there into a third season and hasn't looked like it.

He and Claravino would be on the block at year end I would think. Maybe Clav may get one more.

Cheers guys. So Carlisle and Austin to be chopped you reckon?

To be fair you guys have some gun Key talls down back. Drafted/traded well. Good luck tonight will be watching.
Carlisle is currently our best defender so I don't know why we'd chop him

We may keep Austin for depth, but I doubt we stand in his way of he wants out.
This is the best assessment of Austin's situation.

He may get lucky because we already have too many to delist, but he's not yet shown enough to justify any more then a 1 year deal on minimum wage.

VFL watchers are split as to weather he offers anything, but because he seems to lack true KPD pedigree, he's in the B pool with Roberton and Claverino, both of whom would be a higher priority.
However, Robbo is nearing his twilight and on big money, whilst Claverino is yet to play a game and doesn't look like he'll get a shot this year.
Austin may yet get an opportunity if one of our front line KPD's goes down.
I think most here would like to see a couple of games before he gets the chop..

Can someone explain to me how jack newnes stats have gone even more backwards?

10 disposal and 1.5 tackles a game? Omegalul

Some of you blokes are really setting yourselves up to look silly when Carlton smashes us and Newnes dominates...

This is the best assessment of Austin's situation.

He may get lucky because we already have too many to delist, but he's not yet shown enough to justify any more then a 1 year deal on minimum wage.

VFL watchers are split as to weather he offers anything, but because he seems to lack true KPD pedigree, he's in the B pool with Roberton and Claverino, both of whom would be a higher priority.
However, Robbo is nearing his twilight and on big money, whilst Claverino is yet to play a game and doesn't look like he'll get a shot this year.
Austin may yet get an opportunity if one of our front line KPD's goes down.
I think most here would like to see a couple of games before he gets the chop..
Thanks buddy.

He and Claravino would be on the block at year end I would think. Maybe Clav may get one more.

Spent all of 2019 injured. When he got a go in 2018 he made the most of it:

1593649243117.png

But yeah you'd think with our surplus of tall defenders (Joyce, Austin, Clav, Brown) that at least a couple of those are gone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watched him pretty closely last week. I thought he had a pretty good game, he does a lot of unrewarded running defensively that allows Docherty to attack.
He’s a guy that use to get the nut near on 25 times a game, and a future captain candidate

he had a more potential than a defensive decoy

Some of you blokes are really setting yourselves up to look silly when Carlton smashes us and Newnes dominates...
We may well lose, that’s a definite possibility but I’m not seeing Jill being the reason for it...

Spent all of 2019 injured. When he got a go in 2018 he made the most of it:

View attachment 904324

But yeah you'd think with our surplus of tall defenders (Joyce, Austin, Clav, Brown) that at least a couple of those are gone.

Call me old-fashioned but I prefer defenders that first and foremost can defend well. Wilkie is a good example, he’s fairly decent with the ball in hand but most importantly he rarely gets beaten in true 1 on 1s. From memory, Austin’s problem was his opponents used to get free quite a bit because he was playing aggressively.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Don’t think Carlisle will let McKay beat up on him this time unlike round 22 last year at the G

We certainly match up very well against the blues- their height in attack is their main weapon which plays beautifully into our strength in height down back.

Cripps running rampant is our main threat, it will be tight if he has a field day.

One of them would have to stay i think as Brown will be gone end of year and in my eyes Robbo looks done ,

Call me old-fashioned but I prefer defenders that first and foremost can defend well. Wilkie is a good example, he’s fairly decent with the ball in hand but most importantly he rarely gets beaten in true 1 on 1s. From memory, Austin’s problem was his opponents used to get free quite a bit because he was playing aggressively.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
That was a huge problem.

I remember when we played Sydney that year and Austin was meant to be defending Buddy but decided it was a great idea to stand 40m away from him, and not go man him up despite being yelled at multiple times by Webster to do so, and then yelled at again for continually ignoring a senior player. Baddy kicked 4.4 that day.

I think it was the last game we played against Carlton where Casboult just stood deep in the forward line and out-bodied Bruce and took plenty of grabs- they might try that trick on King who at the moment doesn't seem to have the strength to outmuscle big defenders one on one. We need smart movement into the forward half and not bomb it long.

That was a huge problem.

I remember when we played Sydney that year and Austin was meant to be defending Buddy but decided it was a great idea to stand 40m away from him, and not go man him up despite being yelled at multiple times by Webster to do so, and then yelled at again for continually ignoring a senior player. Baddy kicked 4.4 that day.

He's way too loose as a tall defender.
He is probably ok as a rebounding defender ( ie Roberton, Savage, ) , but still not accountable enough imo.
Probably not suitable for a role in the midfield or forward line.

This is a big night for the club and is going to dictate a lot moving forward. Not only is it a must win game, but we must prove that we are worth putting on FTA and in prime time slots.

No excuses from the group to not have the same intensity from last week. It was great to beat Richmond, but it means nothing if we lose tonight. Plus with the impending hubs, we need to bank as many wins at Marvel as possible because who knows how long it will be before we get to play there again. I am confident we can win and would be extremely disappointed if we didn't.

While Hanners has been good this season, I would love a 'feature in the votes' game from him tonight. This is a great opportunity for him to stand up in a big game and show why we got him to the club. And Membrey backing up his good game last week would go a long way to us winning.

Going Saints by 16 points.
Hanners to get 27 and 2 goals. Coffield to play his best game to date. Lonie to milk 3 head high contact frees but kick 1.2 and 1 bone crunching tackle on Cripps by Ben Long.

I think it was the last game we played against Carlton where Casboult just stood deep in the forward line and out-bodied Bruce and took plenty of grabs- they might try that trick on King who at the moment doesn't seem to have the strength to outmuscle big defenders one on one. We need smart movement into the forward half and not bomb it long.

King has been getting first hands to the ball and getting it down to our smalls pretty well.
He's not getting the marks yet, but neither are his opponents .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back